Author Topic: Microcar Books  (Read 11111 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Microcar Books
« on: January 24, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »
Dear bloggers

For those of you that read Rumcar news you will know that we have an arrangement with Foyles that they sell us microcar related books at discount prices.

Until recently this was only for books published in the UK. Now they are able to sell us books published from abroad since they purchase another book company.

Now we would like to compile a list of books on the subject of Microcars that are for sale (new) now in any language. We have one or two, but I am sure that there will be plenty in French, German, Italian, Spanish and other languages that exist  and could be worth owning, if only we know about them.

So your task this week is to help me compile a list of non UK books on the subject of Microcars that we can hopefully get Foyles to stock.

You will appreciate that the non UK contributers to the forum will have a distict advantage over those of us who only speak and read English. So may I thank you in advance for your contributions.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
Re: Microcar Books
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 11:42:37 PM »
How about this book:

Title: Lloyd - der Wagen für Dich
Author: Peter Kurze
Publisher: Delius Klasen Verlag GmbH
ISBN: 3768817253

A historical overview of all Lloyd models manufactured in Bremen 1949 - 1961. I don't have a copy but it is one I would order.
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:26:56 AM »
Dear Wilksie

Many thanks for that good suggestion

Any others

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:38:57 PM »
yes but apart from me and wilksie who is interested in Lloyds ?  ;) and its in German - i know wilksie gets it but i dont  :(
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:59:09 PM »
Lloyds, didn't they take over Halifax/Bank of Scotland?  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 12:04:20 AM »
yes but apart from me and wilksie who is interested in Lloyds ?  ;) and its in German - i know wilksie gets it but i dont  :(

Indeed, not many people. Does anyone know how many Lloyds there are in the UK? What happened to the RHD auctioned by the Microcar Museum?
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 09:42:21 AM »
The Hammond car was sold on ebay but not sure where it ended up, Mike Shepherd would know. I was quite impressed with the fact that it was fuel injected at that early date.

This is the Lloyd I like!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 10:33:55 AM »
Dare I say there are folk who find it cheaper and simpler to collect the books than the actual cars. Who knows they might be the clever ones!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 01:44:07 PM »
 For those commiserating about the lack of decent books in the English language on two-stroke cars, fret ye no longer, for the force that is Big Al has discovered this recently announced tome;

Two-Stroke Cars of the Past" by Mark Telford

As the writer himself relates;

"My book has been published and is now available to buy. "Two Stroke Cars of the Past" celebrates the history of what I consider to be the most important two stroke cars ever made. It also features period road tests, buyers guides, current market values, where to buy etc. Full of statistics, anecdotes, personal experiences and rare photos.

When I first got interested in two stroke cars, I looked on Amazon and other sites for a book that would further my knowledge and interest. There were such books, but only in German. Not one book existed solely on the topic of two stroke cars in English, so I decided to research the subject and write my own, making it the sort of book I'd be happy to purchase.

This book is the result of over two years research and work. Rather than make it another classic car book full of stats, I've tried to write it in as interesting a way as possible and hopefully it will appeal not only to enthusiasts of two stroke cars, but also appeal to all lovers of classic cars.

Car's covered are: DKW, Saab, Subaru, Wartburg, Trabant, Goliath, Suzuki, Lloyd, Goggomobil and plenty more.
The DKW Chapter is one of the biggest in the book and there's many other references to them throughout. The majority of DKW two stroke cars made are covered to some degree.

It's a large book, bigger than A4 format and around 330 pages."

There is one copy currently available on Amazon UK at £17.99, but plenty on USA Amazon....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Stroke-Cars-Past-Wartburg/dp/146807783X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1328449335&sr=1-1

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 09:18:59 AM »
Dear Stuart

Thanks for that we now have two suggestions.

There must be more out there that our European friends know of.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 09:12:47 AM »
I'd like to be able to scan through all the Rum Car News ever printed so as to be able to read all the AC Petite and Nobel orientated articles.
Is there some way to purchase a digital compilation of these, or has anyone assembled the old issues into a book?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 12:04:15 PM »
What about the RUMcar 'annual'.

Or all the best items potted up into a book. 'RUM all ye Faithful' or something. The ideal Christmas gift. Edited by I. Lights.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 12:59:25 PM »
I have Rumcar news Volume 1. Issues number 1 to 14 from 1984 to 87. There is a 10 page article on Nobels. I dont think this book is still in print though. Volumes 2 and 3 are well overdue! Most of the Nobel and Petite pages in RCN are just about maintaining the register, new examples turning up, some history of the marks etc but if you are anticipating anything technical or about restoration you will be disappionted.

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 05:58:40 PM »
Dear Steve

I have set my self the task of getting the original digital files off Tony Marshall and rebuilding them, as some files have missing images and fields where one format generation does not transpose.

But before Tony evertyhing was printed from cut and paste layups so there are no digital files. I have tried scanning and rebuilding some of the articles with some success, but others the image quality is not good enough. Eventually it may be possible to retrieve most of the old issues, but until I get all the old files from Tony Marshall, there are huge gaps that would be almost impossible to rebuild.

In the mean time I am doing Featured Car revisited in Rumcar News, in the hope to capture the best of what Tony has written.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News