Author Topic: Unleaded  (Read 4052 times)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Unleaded
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:07:27 AM »
Probably been a subject of discussion in the past.

If I have a four-stroke engine that might not be suitable for unleaded, are there any additives I could use to allow use of unleaded fuel?

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Unleaded
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »
 If it's the Model 70's engine you're worried about, it takes unleaded no problem at all, as backed up by the Ministry in the 1990s.  ;)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »
Thanks Stuart.  That's what I had in mind but I have other four strokes that are definitely leaded - any suggestions?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 01:43:44 PM »
Isetta engines had hardened valve seats from the start so that one less to worry about.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 02:49:01 PM »
When unleaded came out there were many lead replacement fluids available. Here is one by Holts that you can get as shown on their website. Fourth one down on the list.

http://www.holtsauto.com/products/group/additives/petrol
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:57:07 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 04:16:59 PM »
Thanks Rob, I will give that a go in my Isis.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:05:56 AM »
Isetta engines had hardened valve seats from the start so that one less to worry about.

Hardened by whom? A stare from the works manager? Most of an Isetta engine is made out of case hardened cheese or various ali alloys. I hope you are right and it is not Lead previously deposited that is preventing a problem as on Hienkels which tend to be of better quality materials. Like cylinders not cracking in half, valves falling off in quantity etc. Though BMW did have the sense to clean and pump the oil around the engine but then went to the noisy popit bearing valve. The bonus of that is the fine Rock beat you can get when the little end is rattling.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 06:03:53 PM »
Thanks Rob, I will give that a go in my Isis.
Is that Morris or Choc?  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 10:32:53 PM »

Hardened by whom? A stare from the works manager? Most of an Isetta engine is made out of case hardened cheese or various ali alloys. I hope you are right and it is not Lead previously deposited that is preventing a problem as on Hienkels which tend to be of better quality materials. Like cylinders not cracking in half, valves falling off in quantity etc. Though BMW did have the sense to clean and pump the oil around the engine but then went to the noisy popit bearing valve. The bonus of that is the fine Rock beat you can get when the little end is rattling.

You may think you know everything Al but like it or not the valve seats are hardened and suffer no damage from unleaded. Yes they have been know to drop exhaust valves, I have no experience of barrels falling in half or small ends going, none of these things happen to Terry Parkin last year when he drove his from Hull then over the Alps and back, if thats happend to your Isetta's I would hazard a guess that its because you tend to throw foriegn objects into the engine like nylons and whole bananas! Anyone would think you had a reputation!  Actually its Schmitt engines that are made of poor materials, last year I had two seperate ali welders comment on what utter rubbish the alloy was on sachs engines, they spit something terrible due to all the impurities in the alloy as opposed to British motorcycle casting which weld up great.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 10:23:53 AM »
Not done highly milos in an Isetta to know if the valve seats were really hard. I wonder if the heads came over assembled? More chance of good materials if they did. So that would be one up to the Isetta as the Heinkel valve seats erode, it would seem.
Little ends were mentioned for the comic interest of double beat rattling, which Marcus would quite like. Valves, well that was sorted for those who wished to invest in the answer, many years ago. My experience of Isettas was early on when I knew nothing and the cars were worth thrupence. I know more now but certainly no expert on Isettas as previously mentioned and I only studied as a student at the side of the road trying to get home. You ought to know my humour by now so do not be put out. Long my Thumper bring a smile to  the streets of Essex.

Schmitts were built as a crap car, to a price. The more you work on them, the more you realise how clever yet crap they are. Yet they still manage to knock the spots off most of the competition. If I knew the answers as to how, why etc I would be a rich man by now. They just work well within their design limits where as most Microcars really do not, which is a reason for loving them. There something about a heroic failure that appeals as much as something that works well. The clever money owns a bit of both as you know.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »
It would be a great exercise to build a microcar using all the best bits from all the microcars.  Without thinking too hard about it how about this,  the ride of a Heinkel, the girling twin leading shoe brakes of a British Isetta,  a Goggo 300 engine. What would you have? All very well but would never pass an SVA test at the end of the day! ::)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 02:50:25 PM »
the turning circle of a later Bond ?

the back lights of a scootacar ? ho ho  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977