Author Topic: The Inevitable Lyman Electric Quad  (Read 18795 times)

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
The Inevitable Lyman Electric Quad
« on: January 31, 2012, 12:58:39 AM »
My earlier speculation concerning the "car" status of the unusual and micro Lyman Electric Quad is now more than academic.  Having passed on the first one, I of course bought the (much rougher) second one I've come across:

That photo was taken by the seller in Texas shortly before handing it over to the movers.  It's now in Wisconsin awaiting a westbound truck to bring it to me in Washington.  Then I'll find out whether this state will acknowledge it as street-legal, and if so, in what capacity.  I think my best bet is as a moped.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: The Inevitable Lyman Electric Quad
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 08:42:36 AM »
It appears to have pedals, so that would make it a MOtor-assisted PEDal quadricycle...Moped!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:42:38 AM »
It appears to have pedals, so that would make it a MOtor-assisted PEDal quadricycle...Moped!

That thing isnt a "car", its a Go Kart!!!

I bet its faster than mine, since mine hasnt budged in a while, needs a Battery ;)
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:45:43 AM »
Emo-Kart?!  (Electric Moped-Kart)  ;D

Whatever it is classified as, I would like to go down Porlock Hill in/on it!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »
Emo-Kart?!  (Electric Moped-Kart)  ;D

Whatever it is classified as, I would like to go down Porlock Hill in/on it!

It's people like you wot upsets poets thinking quietly in Devon, Marcus.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 09:02:36 AM »
It's electric Al, all of the fun but none of the noise, so no disturbance to the North Devon Poets, Feng Shui and Flower Arrangers Society!
Mind you, I have been driven up Porlock Hill sideways in a 4 litre BMW, traction control off, 4 wheels drifting smokily most of the way up!

I did not enjoy the experience, and nor did the driver coming down the hill.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 09:19:35 AM »
Try it twice in quick succession in Schmitts because your chum 'reversed' a brakeless classic van through the wall at the bottom. The little lads did it but needed a cool off at the top the second time. Far enough away not to hear the upset owner of said wall and gate which was not as tough as the van as it turned out. Do not think he was a poet, more of an artist, judging by the interesting colours his faced turned. Reward, great Fish and Chips in Lynton, recommended.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »
Ah, the Famous Trojan Van Through The Wall Incident, Miss Marple to the Crime Scene please (the PROPER Miss Marple, i.e. Margaret Rutherford!)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 10:45:52 AM »
It's electric Al, all of the fun but none of the noise, so no disturbance to the North Devon Poets, Feng Shui and Flower Arrangers Society!
Mind you, I have been driven up Porlock Hill sideways in a 4 litre BMW, traction control off, 4 wheels drifting smokily most of the way up!

I did not enjoy the experience, and nor did the driver coming down the hill.

Wrong. Half the fun is the noise! (well, I guess the noise on a Moped isnt great, I hate whiney engines), but you cant drive an electric 58 Chevrolet Corvette, or AC cobra!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 12:09:55 PM »
Ah, the Famous Trojan Van Through The Wall Incident, Miss Marple to the Crime Scene please (the PROPER Miss Marple, i.e. Margaret Rutherford!)

That is the one. We will never get Eccles within 5 miles of Porlock again with, or without, the wonderful Margaret Rutherford

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2012, 01:55:26 PM »
I "had a moment" when driving my Drum Car down the steep hill from Rochester Castle to the High Street. The road was damp, all three brakes locked the wheels dead, but I kept on sliding most of the way down, shouting and drumming furiously to try a clear a safe path through the packed Sweeps Festival crowds.

Luckily there were only a few minor fatalities.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 11:14:00 AM »
Now there is a news report. Drum kit crash causes killing in Kent carnival chaos. Eyewitness said 'Man, it was really cool. Jazz and performance art on the Medway. Woww!' Spokesman for the event said the injured were due to being 'beaten not snared, so get off your high hat. It was a accident, a knock for knock, as the dead man was Saxophonist'.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2012, 11:39:26 AM »
Funny enough our little band auditioned a new drummer last night, he used an electronic kit which I dont like, he got the job despite struggling with our Shadows set, people take the mick but not many drummers can do it like Tony Meehan! He excelled with Eagle "Taking it easy" and Bowies version of "Sorrow". He didnt roll down any hills and crash his kit though, that would have been a bonus! :D A real drum rol!! ::)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2012, 01:27:13 PM »
reminds  me of our first i.c.e. a go kart home made, gilera engine i think  - great fun in the paddock but underpowered . heavy frames and wheels , but it got us started

1972/3

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 03:43:39 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2012, 08:40:21 AM »
Both Tony and Brian Bennett are fine drummers, no mick taken by me, or any serious drummer. The electronic kits around today are far better and more versatile than the hexagonal Simmons kits of the 80s (I made my own drum pads to be a bit more stylish, but used a Simmons sound module), but they still tendo to have a "processed" sound and a bit less "life" than the real thing, BUT ....at least you can turn them down for smaller gigs!