Author Topic: Lansing Bagnall prototype microcar  (Read 14826 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: Lansing Bagnall prototype microcar
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 08:43:32 PM »
Bob-When you say that you replaced the bushes, am I correct in assuming that you put your originals back, just after rotating the upper and lower bush the same degree in the same direction to take out the slack?
I saw no evidence of any wear on either of my rack or pinion gear teeth, but do see some evidence of moderate wear between the rack and ID of the cast and machined aluminum rack housing.  Perhaps you might be the one to settle the debate by getting you rack housing ends bushed to see if that cleans up the other third of your play.

Don't forget to make a simple brace to stabilize the end of the steering rack to a nearby floor bolt if you want to eliminate the counter torquing of the rack at full lock when your road wheels are not rotating much.  I'll send you a picture that I just went out and took so that you will both know what I mean, and can put it on this forum if you think it worthwhile. Mine is obviously over built.   I am sure you could make a better one quite simply, and I don't have time for the photobucket complexities to complete the posting at this time.

While I've got your attention- do you know where i could get door aperture weather stripping and a front shock absorber for my Nobels?  It is obvious that I am not going to be able to afford a new ignition switch.

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 10:44:22 PM »
Is it just me or have people forgotten how to start a new thread on this forum? It's not that the preceding two pages of discussion aren't unusual or microcar related, it's just it has bugger all to do with the subject you're discussing it under. Go on, start a new thread, you'll never know where it might lead!
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 10:59:11 PM »
Steven, I have replied to this on a new thread called Nobel steering. We dont want to upset Rusty chrome more than we have to. I can see his chrome work is erupting  with great chunks flaking off due to shear frustration!  Perhaps he is mazak underneath!! :D :D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2012, 09:11:57 AM »

While I've got your attention- do you know where i could get door aperture weather stripping and a front shock absorber for my Nobels?  It is obvious that I am not going to be able to afford a new ignition switch.

There is a Lucas version of the HUF switch. I assume these were fitted to late invalid carriages. The MOC actually stocked these for a while so there are schmitts with them in now. So extend your search pattern to include Lucas. To be honest most would not notice the difference until you turn the key as it rotates fully one way for forwards and fully the other for reverse rather than pushing in to rotate in the same direction. It will have spade type connections on the rear in a similar pattern to the HUF unit. It is likely these units would be more affordable.
In the meantime it will be worth obtaining several dead HUF switches as they are repairable and it sounds like you have the skill and patience to be able to do this sort of thing when others have not. The keys can be bought and the key number of the barrel should be stamped on the casing of the switch.

Without looking I do not know the number of levers, thought it was five.

I think my last suggestion on Nobel dampers was a failure. Spax at Bicester who used to be very helpful in attempting to match stock to fit an unavailable spec. Bob seems to have the answer on the more dedicated new thread.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 09:36:50 AM »
Without looking I do not know the number of levers, thought it was five.

I did wonder from looking at the shape of the key, I figured my broken lock was missing a lever.