Author Topic: Cheap Isetta  (Read 7422 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Cheap Isetta
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 08:25:47 AM »
While in no way disagreeing with the thought processes expressed above and by way of agreement and observation I suggest the following.

It has long been a habit in the UK to buy up a car and 'nosh it up' as the phrase has it. Many of these are produced by folk more interested in a quick profit than in producing a quality classic car to use and enthuse about. Others are a product of a lack of skill and refusal to invest where that skill is lacking. Add to that cars restored many years back when the values were much less, as was the acceptable quality of restoration, now coming back into the market from long ownership. The comments above reflect the experienced enthusiasts view that there are a lot of good looking clunkers out there. A particular bugbear in our damp and salt flavoured roads is rust and the repair, or otherwise, of it.

It is clear to me this high level of shoddy cars in Britain has not gone unnoticed abroad where the prices achieved in their local markets seem much higher. You would think they would be targeting our cheaper cars off the advertisements. However I think that to many poor cars have been loaded into the export market and the word is now 'Beware the British Bubblecar'. Certainly the standards of some markets is very much higher than our home market.

So we have the situation where a reasonable restoration project Schmitt sells for more than half the value of a fully restored known running car on the home market - see Ken Bell's Schmitt for instance and reflect on the price given for several known projects in the same period. That should not be the case and our well restored cars are not collecting the prices they should be, and as they do in the rest of the world.

The projects however are in demand as the enthusiast wishes to restore himself to ensure he gets a proper job, the idea as expressed above. The Noshers are looking for more stock to turn into a fast buck. Also the export market will buy these if they are good prospects as their home market will support an enthusiast rebuild. Sadly that means not many home enthusiasts are buying projects to restore as the entry price is to high to produce a quality job and get your money back. Few can willingly do this, especially during hard times. However you can buy as an investment as the prices will rise at sometime in the future so we have the rise of the well financed owner of limited hands on skill. Or you can nosh it and try to take a profit out of a car that is then neither a project or a quality restoration. Neither of the second two groups have much interest in going, taking part in or organising rallys, events or even clubbing save from personnel gain. That in a nuttshell is where we are.

So at the moment it is not worth my restoring my collection of schmitts beyond having a runner. The rest are best sold for others to restore while I sort my stash into kits of bits to be full in the knowledge the cars kept have all the parts they need for when they get restored sometime in the future. As if to back this up is the cautionary tale of a chum with 12 restored microcars. He has now found the cost and time it takes to maintain that collection is as much as it was to restore one of them - though this guy actually drives most of his cars in turn. Now he is happy to scale back to half as he realises the situation is ridiculous.

Quality complete unrestored cars can be stabilised. Complete restored cars go off. Which is the better long term investment my friends? That does not aid eventing, action etc. A fair market price is needed to keep interest up and newly restored cars coming up to populate the active scene. The market currently is out of balance on certain types of cars. On the other side I expect to see quite a few more French Fridges out as that area is buoyant and cheap enough for folk to buy into so it is not all bad news.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 09:05:05 AM »
Quote "I think that to many poor cars have been loaded into the export market and the word is now 'Beware the British Bubblecar'.

Yes Alan, probably because of all the dodgy crap you have sold abroad over the years.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 10:43:52 AM »
OUCH!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
OUCH II  :(
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 08:39:55 PM »
Quote "I think that to many poor cars have been loaded into the export market and the word is now 'Beware the British Bubblecar'.

Yes Alan, probably because of all the dodgy crap you have sold abroad over the years.

I am pleased you have intimate knowledge of my entire old stock. Stuart will be asking for full details. My stuff was always clearly mine not from a mystery seller or bid up by aliens from the planet quark on eBay, so folk could make their own minds up as if they wished to trade with me. If you feel that way about its fine with me as I do not really care since I do not trade anymore.

However I was looking at the recent era of sales as I think you are aware and offering a serious thought.
Just for the record net sales of running microcars abroad in three years, one Messerschmitt that I can think of. I have sold off quite a few restoration projects and I know there are some about as cannot tell the difference. So it is not me shifting out cars these days risking the taxman's revenge. I am happy to observe who is though. It amuses me.

Talking of 'crap' I have had (three times, in fact, as it was so crap it was worth making three sets of margin out of it. Only beaten by the AWS Shopper.) I see the Polish 'love machine' Minarelli Multipla is up for sale again on a classified ad. This time slightly parted up but with some additional parts to make up for it from a trader in Waybridge, Middlesex.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »
Yeh, cheap until you decide to restore it then suddenly its a dear one.

skootashaun

• Chatty
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »
Yeh, cheap until you decide to restore it then suddenly its a dear one.

keep as is,
Rusteration is the new restoration  ;D
yup yup rabbit yup yup yup rabbit rabbit bunny jabber yup rabbit bunny yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup yup rabbit bunny jabber yup yup bunny jabber rabbit