Author Topic: Invacar 70 rear lights wanted  (Read 6724 times)

Matt1

• Just Starting
Invacar 70 rear lights wanted
« on: March 04, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »
Hi, I'm after a complete pair of rear lights for an Invacar 70. Does anyone have any? Or know what else they were fitted to?

Thanks
 Matt

g-o-g-g-o

• Quite Chatty
Re: Invacar 70 rear lights wanted
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:18:52 PM »
Hi Matt
                Try Jean Hammond - last year she had a pair to sell
                                                                                                 Mike

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 06:52:21 PM »
I have an Invacar 70 - but no spare back lights.
The ones on my car look like fairly standard lights.
The previous owner said that they were all converted.

The original lights would have been quite long in comparison.

Photo when it is light.

Keep in touch Matt

Barry (Suffolk)

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »
Hello Barry and Matt:  The original lights/lenses were a PMG / Britax unit.  They fit exactly on the top curve of the rear wing, but were a little shorter than the flat section actually made for them on the fiberglass joint.   These are still available in a couple of designs so very similar, as a trailer light.  You can find them on ebay quite often and there are a couple on there now.  If you do  buy a full set (left and right) one of them will have a clear section below the red for the plate light.  This can be dyed or painted red to conform.  One of the set will not have this clear section, not sure which.  I normally buy the complete lamp set, for it includes the base, the lamp-holders and the black rubber gasket, and then it is new and no problems with corrosion of terminals etc.  Good luck.....Ian.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:27:56 PM »
Thanks Ian.
Just need to know about the drive belt now?

The STY801 belt shredded when Richard took it for an MOT.
It now has a (Kawasaki I think) Dayco HP2020 belt fitted.
Richard fitted it quick.

I checked it and it really does seem very loose and I cant see how it ever gets into top drive ratio.  I think it wanders around and probably slips a bit - managing 30mph or maybe 40mph down hill.  Lots of noise!
Seems like the drive never really locks out.

There doesn't seem to be enough slot left in the adjustment channels (not the actual adjuster) to get the belt tight.

Any thoughts?

Any idea of the length of the original belt compared to the 2020?

Barry

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 10:16:13 AM »
 That's the third rear light enquiry this past week!    There are two types of rear light to choose from. From the start of production in 1971 to around 1976-early 1977, the cars were fitted with rather more "oblong" shaped lights with prominent white rubber/plastic base very similar to 1973 Reliant Regals.I'm not sure who made them but they may be Lucas? Jean does or did have at least one set of these lights.

The lights were then changed in late 1977ish to oval-shaped Britax 9020 four function trailer-type lights. The Britax lights were also retro-fitted to the majority of earlier Model 70s throughout the 1980s so are perfectly authentic no matter what year the car is. Complete units can still be found in camping & caravan shops but most will have the number plate light window at bottom. This can either be lived with or coloured over. Or they can be had on ebay....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Britax-9020-4-Function-Rear-Lamp-Light-Cluster-Trailers-Horsebox-/200718324726?pt=UK_Trailers_Transporters_Parts&hash=item2ebbbe93f6

Of the below pics, the top pic is the early lights, the bottom pic is the latter Britax lights.

cuscus47

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 11:55:39 AM »
I remember years ago asking Stuart the same question on the correct lights.  One of my Model 70's had just one of these early lights either on it or in it.  It appeared to be a Reliant Regal light, but very ill-fitting and did not look good and so I opted for the far better fitting Britax one.  It "looks" as if was designed for it, but as Stuart says, were also retrofitted later to earlier Model 70's.  I am happier with the Britax, and even so, if to be structly original, it is an easy fix with just two screws holding the base on.   Ian.
AC, Acoma, Argsons, Arola, Batricars, Bianchina, Carter, Citroens, Cushmans, Dafs, ElectricPal, ElectricShopper, Elswick, Eshelman, Everest, Goggo, Harding, Invacar, Levesons, Lloyd, Marketeer, Model 70's (AC, Invacar), Nelcos, Poirier, Reliants, Renaults, Sinclairs,Trabant, Trilox, Tippen etal

Matt1

• Just Starting
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 06:35:58 PM »
Thanks to you all for the prompt reply. The good news is I already have an account with maypole so will place an order tomorrow. Then I can put it in for an mot.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »
Ask for Mark Radley at Maypole and say you are a friend of Barry Lee in Suffolk.
He will probably charge you double but you never know!

Matt1

• Just Starting
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 04:08:57 PM »
Thanks, I already know Mark. My order went in last week so hopefully they'll be delivered this week.