Author Topic: BMW 700  (Read 16792 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: BMW 700
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 09:37:11 PM »
Well done Kabine! It was your turn that week to get a bargain!
Actually I get this all the time at antiques fairs, I get in early as dealers do and inevitably I see something I want, the seller is a part time amateur [sadly the antiques world attracts more of these than any trade I know} I ask how much is it, the reply is, what do you want to pay? I reply I dont do free valuations! Are you going to name a price?  No!  If I were to give a price they would not take it anyway because half of them have no idea and all they are doing is trying to find out what its worth, after they have pulled the same stunt on half a dozen people some of which have pitch in an offer some lucky person strolls in at the end of the day and gets its for its right price.
Basically thats what our motorcycle dealer friend did at the open day, got a free valuation from us lot and then offered it for sale else where, don't you just luv em! Still that's the way the cookie crumbles!  Good for Kabine being in the right place at the right time.

Kabine

• Occasional
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 10:51:33 PM »
Hi Bob - what you describe seems to have become modern practice!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 10:54:22 PM »
nice one kabine -in a couple of weeks i will be listing an original ashtray from  a messerschmitt on ebay ( shameless bit of promo for my item in advance )  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2012, 08:43:45 AM »
Of course the web does offer an even easier way for everyone to be a dealer egged on by various TV shows. The thing is there is more to being a Dealer than just flogging stuff for a profit. The part I liked is/was the Dealer community where a trade was done by a nod with the actual transfer of cash and goods later. It must be very much more difficult to do this when there are so many folk wheeling and dealing, cutting each others throats. How do you recognise the Dealer from all the dealers and be sure that the item is secured by word.

As example back in the day I had car Dealers offering me trade in small cars they did not want on their forecourts. I would bid on the description blind and underwrite the car. If the deal was done with their customer, you then honoured the deal on the basis the description was correct. Clearly this was a source of cheap cars and why it was worth doing. The thing falls at the first hurdle if the description is incorrect or the price inflated beyond the obvious.

A Schmitt is a simple car to value within 15% of market value so the only excuse for being way over is greed. Interestingly many dealers care terribly what the next guy makes on selling. The trading Dealers tend to be happy with a margin and not worry about what the next guy makes but just to note pricing for future reference. It is easy to see therefore that there are two systems at work. The one of known associates with an element of trust and the other where it is open season to get as much money as possible however possible. I leave it to you to work out in who's interest it is to pretend to be who, but that is what has gone a bit wrong I fear.

Was this not the whole reason for two way feedback on the original eBay. Feedback is now one way and not related to honesty but to service which is not the same thing. But then eBay itself was sold to a wideboy so what does one expect. It is only interested in turnover now.

Just as an aside the 135 by 12 tyres I put on failed to sell on eBay. However a 'phone call from a Micronaut of old standing to discuss the suitability for a Berkeley and a deal is done for when he returns in a months time to deal with it. The old system is so much more civilised isn't it?

I would point out that the reason I thought the Schmitt was more than I wanted to pay is not because I thought it was not worth it but because I am a tight git mode. Probably makes the thing more sense.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2012, 09:46:11 AM »
Yep. I remember when I first started up in the seventies and the saying was "always leave something in it for the next guy"  A practice so out of mode now that its laughable! And yes, the TV shows have done nobody any favours other than the sale rooms and insurance companies, giving the public the false impression that everthing old is worth lots , all dealers are crooks and you can only trust the Big sale rooms, as it as been proved by countless court cases the auction rooms [the big four] are the real crooks!

Boy are we off subject, anyone want to talk about BMW700's?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »
The 700 saloon is one of those unhappy cars that seems to fall into the not kewt, not big enough, not small enough area of light cars. Along with DAF, NSU Prinz, Simca 1000 and such. Therein lies some cheap cars with great character and interesting engineering. While no fan of the Beemer flat twin it does seem to have a reasonable reputation save for rust in the front wings. Such is the cold shoulder over the years that a solid survivor now must be quite a rare thing. It seems they are pretty easy to tune up should that be desirable. There are certainly worse things to own. If you want one I can sell you it.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs