Author Topic: BMW 700  (Read 16803 times)

Alastair

• Chatty
BMW 700
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:36:29 AM »
Hi
I'm in the middle of the restoration of my BMW 700 saloon (still at the stage of igniting my overalls with welding and grinding sparks) but looking ahead, I'm looking for glass for the rear nearside window. It's for a LWB model and it's the hinged type.
Can anyone help with that or any other parts that they might have in stock?

Alastair 

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: BMW 700
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 08:47:07 AM »
Hello Alistaair. I cant help you with the BMW 700 glass but have you tried posting your needs on the Isettaworld forum, I know some Isetta owners have 700's. Just a thought.  Caught my trousers alight last week grinding a certian chassis so I know that feeling! :D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 06:26:19 PM by Bob Purton »

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »
Hi Bob

It'll be a long shot finding one in the UK as I think as most of the 700s imported were SWB so I'll certainly spread the net wide.

Alastair

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 07:26:36 PM »
Lost track of BMW 700 activists. John Bannell is into a Coupe and will have researched the area for parts I expect.

Beards are tricky chaps when the heat is on. I lost my fav old cap to the angle grinder as it had so much oil soaked in it. Spontaneous combustion of hats is rather alarming as you only notice when you bonce gets hot and/or you see the reflection in the window at the same time think god was turning you into an apostle.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 08:19:20 PM »
Ah so the glass is different in the long wheel base model, I didnt realise that.
I take it you have tried these people?
http://www.oldtimerteile.net/index.php?PHPSESSID=a1j40dsd8pui8b1r2jp0cvsf26

There are some on this page but probably not the one you want.
http://www.oldtimerteile.net/search.php?PHPSESSID=a1j40dsd8pui8b1r2jp0cvsf26&searchword=window&group=4&search=Start+search...
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 08:30:38 PM by Bob Purton »

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
Thanks for that. I did contact them when I first bought the car and they had second hand glass in stock so I'll not be totally stuck but the transport costs were going to be high so I thought I'd cast my net over the UK first.

Alastair

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 07:39:10 PM »
Something to fall back on then. I only wish it were that easy doing Inters! :D I look forward to seeing it when its done or at least a photo. One turned up at Jeans open day last year, I was quite taken by it.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 10:13:44 AM »
Something to fall back on then. I only wish it were that easy doing Inters! :D I look forward to seeing it when its done or at least a photo. One turned up at Jeans open day last year, I was quite taken by it.

Thumper can cross the road and go and look at his flat twin mate.

Thumper and Clapper? Go on, get one. There are several Coupés around for sale, not so sure about Saloons. Did not know they did LWB of them. There is a SWB coupé. The Martini performance cars were these I believe.

The very shortest SWB was a generator pack. See them at Mannheim. Nice and tempting but more things you do not really need.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 12:51:25 PM »
I'll perhaps regret saying it but I wouldn't mind a coupe if you know of one for sale.
Perhaps I should finish what I have first but having panel beaten a complete new floor for the saloon the masochist in me is up and running!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 09:43:42 PM »
AH!! For some reason I thought we were talking about the coupe. Sorry, not paying attention. It was a coupe that was at Jeans last year and it was for sale too! I also like the NSU Prinz sport. Still as Alistair says, one project at a time.

Alastair

• Chatty
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 05:21:40 AM »
I saw a photo of the one at the open day in RCN. I thought it was a saloon. I contacted Jean to see if she knew who owned it because I'd have liked info/photographs of parts of it but no one had any contact details of the owner. I saw it mentioned later in Practical Classics as being for sale at Beaulieu.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 09:34:04 AM »
The guy with the Coupe at Jean's open day was the same chap who sold the Blue Schmitt resto cheaper to my bud after all present told him it was crap. I think his price on the Beemer was bonkers but then I do not want one. I also do not know which model it is. It does make a difference as the twin carb SWB would be very desirable.

Dave Morgan had a twin carb road worthy standard Coupe for sale I believe. It will be up near Merthyr Tydfil, there. This is the one that Mike Webster used for a few seasons and it went very well. I think it did a few foreign events. Not sure on price but it was more reasonable than the other one based in south London suburbs towns. I think the chap lives very near DREWS so a quality area.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2012, 07:35:32 PM »
Not true Al, the blue schmitt was a good basis for a restoration, I didn't hear anyone disparage it and I wanted to buy it! When I asked how much he wanted for it he said mega bucks which silly for one in that state, as more asked the question it got cheaper and cheaper until your chum bought it! Just show is not always beneficial to be the one to ask first!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »
Not true Al, the blue schmitt was a good basis for a restoration, I didn't hear anyone disparage it and I wanted to buy it! When I asked how much he wanted for it he said mega bucks which silly for one in that state, as more asked the question it got cheaper and cheaper until your chum bought it! Just show is not always beneficial to be the one to ask first!

Not the impression that the seller gave. He was thinking he was dropping a hottie on selling it to chummy for more than I would have bid, which is why I stood down. Well until people started 'phoning him offering more money as he come to deliver the car after accepting a deposit a few days before. Clearly, then, for what ever reason these guys did not offer enough on the day and revised their bids to a point that he was offered incentives to renege on the deal with chummy.

I think if you really wanted a car on site you put you bid in with details and follow up at the end of the day, with additional set of details, to check where things have got to. Not sure you were really wanting another Schmitt as a planned purchase, Bob, so I am talking of others. We all want a bargain but the seller has to sort out those who do not want to pay his price, those who are 'messers' and will not come through and those who are serious. In this case he put himself in a weak position as he had not done his homework so was bluffed down on the day, the pack sensed it and it was a question of who followed up best. However even though I was not present I got my chum lined up on it after deciding I did not want it myself. Like a greyhound he saw and chased it down first. I find that amusing.

Since then one suitor has sold off a clutch of cars, so he really needed it, another bought a Schmitt unseen but does not like them and a third got enmeshed in a bit of a situation with some other cars he agrees he does not need on the rebound. None of these guys admit to being miffed nor are they dealers of course. It is pure chance they always have a car to sell. I find this very amusing.

There is still an official condition rumour doing the rounds on the blue car and there are many experts on it in the marque Clubs that have never even seen it. That is the most amusing bit of all. The joys of ease and widespread coms to spread the dirt. Hee Hoor! You either believe it or you do not but not playing is no longer really an option unless you sell up.

I remain happy I did not buy it and can confirm that someone in the Schmitt world was well ahead of us all in having an option to buy and turned it down as it 'was to much work'. He is having the biggest laugh of the lot having made money out of not buying it! Brilliant.

The only help this is for the Beemer is that if he still has it the car might come for a reasonable price. However unlike the Schmitt I know nothing about this car so cannot comment.

Kabine

• Occasional
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2012, 08:02:32 PM »
So the blue one owner 1960 Schmitt - The truth here is that the owner listed the car on a well known UK classic car web site soon after the visit to the open day.

I happened to be on the web site just as it was listed and the owner had reduced the price from what I was subsequently told was high by people who had attended at the open day. I called and was told that the car was an un-restored one owner car. The seller remarked that the dome had an area of damage but that the lower price included a new unfitted blue dome which dated from the 80s (the original owner purchased it but it was never fitted) - that is in mint shape. Judging by what else has sold that has been on public view I am pleased with this purchase. Finding a Scmitt like this at the price I paid is a hard thing these days.

What amazes me is all the folk that say they could have done this and are glad they did not buy it and its benefitted them or their friends by not buying it or that its not this and not that etc. Its all very boring and I think its called self promotion or self justification. What happened is simple. The seller listed it for sale at an attractive price no one had known about until it had been sold.

At least Bob tells it like it is. Thanks also to the kind person who provided me with an original black face clock for it. Nice to have it with the car.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 11:58:55 PM by Kabine »