Author Topic: G-wiz battery replacement  (Read 27842 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
G-wiz battery replacement
« on: March 28, 2012, 02:26:21 PM »
I know not everyone on the forum likes electric cars but as the G-wiz is a microcar and some may be interested I thought I would share my experiences.
 My one is over 4.5 years old now and although the batteries on these cars usually last three year, my battery pack has only just faded and died. Not bad ah? The bats have had over 900 charge cycles. I have just had a new set installed by EV workshop and can wholeheartedly recommend these folk in every way. Whilst I was up in Stevenage delivering the car for its change over I saw a black wiz in the corner of the workshop with police marking on it, I enquired what it was about and Ric told me that the London police had commissioned the workshops to build a special wiz that would do 75mph so that they could chase speeding motorists in London, Ric thought it was a mad idea from the start but as he was being paid and it was an exercise he did it. Tested at Santa Pod, it did 85mph but when the police tried it it frighten the life out of them [well it would having just got out of BMW's and alike!] They gave it straight back to Ric and it now just comes out for police exhibitions etc. What a waste of tax payers money! Mind you wouldn't catch me driving it!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: G-wiz battery replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 02:35:23 PM »
If that was for sale, I would have it straight away.

Were your batteries expensive?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 02:38:02 PM »
Great to hear about the batteries Bob, that's a pretty good life.
I am certainly not against electric cars, but as yet I doubt anything would fit my needs well, and this was confirmed by your post 1 or 2 years ago where you described the distance you do regularly, and I think your requirement seems to be a very good match for the capabilities of a G-Wiz or other small electric cars.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 06:07:50 PM »
If that was for sale, I would have it straight away.

Were your batteries expensive?

Well the batteries are about £1000.00 but I didnt want to fit them my self plus has some other bits looked at so the bill was obviosly more. The first money I have spent on it so far though.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 08:07:02 PM »
Sounds good to me Bob.
Everyone should have a small simple no frills electric car for local trips and a family car suitable for longer trips.  I need six seats and luggage space so I am snookered when it comes to transport.  As I carry five passengers in my big car I suppose I should have cheap tax compared to one man Range Rovers.  I wish there were a 6 seat electric car for the school run - 8 mile round trip.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 07:22:33 AM »
I know not everyone on the forum likes electric cars but as the G-wiz is a microcar and some may be interested I thought I would share my experiences.
 My one is over 4.5 years old now and although the batteries on these cars usually last three year, my battery pack has only just faded and died. Not bad ah? The bats have had over 900 charge cycles. I have just had a new set installed by EV workshop and can wholeheartedly recommend these folk in every way. Whilst I was up in Stevenage delivering the car for its change over I saw a black wiz in the corner of the workshop with police marking on it, I enquired what it was about and Ric told me that the London police had commissioned the workshops to build a special wiz that would do 75mph so that they could chase speeding motorists in London, Ric thought it was a mad idea from the start but as he was being paid and it was an exercise he did it. Tested at Santa Pod, it did 85mph but when the police tried it it frighten the life out of them [well it would having just got out of BMW's and alike!] They gave it straight back to Ric and it now just comes out for police exhibitions etc. What a waste of tax payers money! Mind you wouldn't catch me driving it!

Something of a G-fuzz
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 07:34:31 AM »
Which is more polluting?

Creating new batteries every 3.5 years and recycling the old ones plus burning something at a power station to power the electric car.

Or using some oil and a few filters in an ICE.

Which is actually the green option?

If we then decided we could run cars on hydrogen or Methane produced in a more controlled and recyclable way which is the green option?

An electric car out here would be all but useless. They are ideal for urban use however.

One answer does not suit all and bullshit is not an effective Government policy on something as important as sensible use of resources. I repeat we sit as a developed country with a wealth of untapped energy and a wealth of natural resources like coastline, wind, waves etc etc. and ignoring huge, world leading industries formed by investment in our position to lead the world in green energy sources. WE do not need to be buying energy from anyone. What do we get, several 13 amp plugs on the M6. Fools are in charge.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 09:25:04 AM »
Honestly Al, your like a worn out record . I wouldnt mind if it were Led Zepplin no.4 or Liege and Lief!!  :D   A tiny minority drive electric cars because of green issues, nearly all  G-wiz drivers bought theirs to avoid the congestion charge and are not the tree hugger type at all. This is proved by the current situation, now that many ICE engined cars are also exempt Wiz sales have ground to a halt.  Of course power is generated at power stations by burn prehistoric dead stuff but at least that way the fallout is confined to a whacking great chimney pointing upwards and is a whole lot healthier that blasting it through an inner city kids bedroom window. Most electric car folk are just enthusiasts for electric cars or like me are trying to save money, not necessarily the planet.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 06:09:31 PM »
johnny cash called petrol -dinosaur bones  ;) it could be all of us one day  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 06:15:52 PM »
How are you getting on with the fuel crisis Bob?  Both of our local garages are out.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 07:29:08 PM »
Well quite! Anything within a 40 mile radias is no problem. MInd you, when I come and visit you next week I shall have to burn some"dinosaur bones"!!

Correction 20 mile radias, as I have to get home again
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 09:07:42 PM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
on way home tonight asda, sainsbury, tesco closed - no fuel . shell station no diesel as was BP - i wanted and  eventually got diesel but people were in long queues to reach the pumps only to find their required fuel had run out.

to all in other countries reading this there is the POSSIBILITY of a fuel delivery drivers strike . any such strike would be at least 7 days off . its something we do when not buying up all the stamps we can as they go up 20- 30 % shortly and we can still use them .

i think we just like queuing - we are famous for it  ;D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 09:59:22 PM »
Well quite! Anything within a 40 mile radias is no problem. MInd you, when I come and visit you next week I shall have to burn some"dinosaur bones"!!

Correction 20 mile radias, as I have to get home again
Why not stick a v8 generator on the passenger seat.  Plenty of electricity and a great noise!
How would a small generator ticking away extend your range..........................?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
Honestly Al, your like a worn out record . I wouldnt mind if it were Led Zepplin no.4 or Liege and Lief!!  :D   A tiny minority drive electric cars because of green issues, nearly all  G-wiz drivers bought theirs to avoid the congestion charge and are not the tree hugger type at all. This is proved by the current situation, now that many ICE engined cars are also exempt Wiz sales have ground to a halt.  Of course power is generated at power stations by burn prehistoric dead stuff but at least that way the fallout is confined to a whacking great chimney pointing upwards and is a whole lot healthier that blasting it through an inner city kids bedroom window. Most electric car folk are just enthusiasts for electric cars or like me are trying to save money, not necessarily the planet.

This was a generalised rant, not a personalised one. I am all for folks using the best tools to hand.

New batteries might be a sharp intake of breath but I assume this is effectively fuel and servicing for the period of use/mileage minus hook up. Be interesting to see how the chassis copes over the years as that comes in as a longer term cost that we all pay.

For all that folk were in every garage buying as much fuel as possible it did not empty the roads any on our trip to Horsham to collect dead Trojans with two wagons and trailers. Absolute nightmare of a drive. Made only worth it by two acres of fine quality crap to sift through for stuff we had obtained the right to remove. Add in a Sachs engine, a Jowett engine and a strong Trojan A frame etc. found awaiting the Scrap man and given freely by the, now, friendly owner and a darned good days work.

On our return we discussed the sense in buying fuel with humongous tax levied on it to sit in Government sponsored traffic jams burning said fuel to no great gain. Is it me or is the Government not in a win win if we use more fuel, just as the price of fuel hits the highest level ever? The timing with a change in fuel chemistry is interesting to, another hidden tax rise as previously pointed out. Hence we are advised to make our cars as heavy as possible to use more fuel and pay more tax to do the same trip because 800 guys might go on strike over a health and safety issue. Advice from a Government in serious cash flow difficulty set to get really bad when the summer's half yearly tax payments are due. So many companies filed low returns they paid in full after Chrimbo. This allowing the Gov to say they had a good tax income revenue, classic political con, but the truth is this summer they need to sell our assets off to cover the hole in finance be it Post Office, RBS or the Womens Institute in a con with North Korea. So sat in line waiting for fuel, you have been a victim of propaganda. It works though, dunnit?

Prediction. The new fuel will finish off a lot of older second hand cars, hence the need to force folk to consume a load of it to stimulate the market in time to collect revinue. Funny to report how the car manufacturers are gearing up production in the face of a slump in sales. What do they know that we do not? Its a con.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 01:38:21 PM »
It was a generalised answer. Just pointing out that a part of the green issue is air quality in cities.