Author Topic: Drive it day.  (Read 21113 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Drive it day.
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »
I just wondered if anyone had planned to do anything on drive it day, April 22nd? Some of us Essex boys are planning to meet at Berts tea shed Epping forest at about 11am.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Re: Drive it day.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 04:46:42 PM »
I just wondered if anyone had planned to do anything on drive it day, April 22nd? Some of us Essex boys are planning to meet at Berts tea shed Epping forest at about 11am.

22nd? We may be in UK then! Hopefully we wil lbe able to pop around :)
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 09:14:00 PM »

A couple of pictures from 'drive it' day in Scotland.  What did everyone else do then ?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 10:06:38 PM »
oh that familiar look of a Heinkel owner trying to select correct gear  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »

A couple of pictures from 'drive it' day in Scotland.  What did everyone else do then ?

Nice, but too many lights on the rear of that schmitt! I guess it makes it different though :)

By the way, we ended up in Germany, going to Ludwigshafen autojumble instead. My dad even found a nobel door lock! It was sort of a duel between me and my dad, but he still spotted the best parts ;)

This is what I saw go by!
Mopeds:

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 11:48:51 PM »
Too many light more than compensatedfor by that great numberplate!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:32:38 AM »
Heinkel piccy. That is not a modern picture is it? If it is where did you find that empty '50's road?

Messerschmitts. I did not realise you had to be so specific about your Revs when running in. Are the extra lights lit up if you exceed the red line. Arooogah! flash, Arooogah! flash, Thunderbirds are go, Its not a spare ring for a Bond this time Virgil.

I like the multinational road you found. Left to right, Irish main road, Belgium road to Eupen, Autobahn, French lane near undercutting river, featuring armco wider than road. On the other side is a scale model of Haarland and Wolf, Belfast to celebrate the floatyness of Icebergs after driving into them in big boats and Kate Winslet. As part of the installation it causes random collisions with a dusting of ice crystals, aah so pretty, so that the Council can keep accident figures in line with inflation and ensure a camera can be located to fine drivers of more money. Money used to pay for artistic installations such as this. You know it makes sense.
(THERE IS A 13 AMP PLUG ON THE NEXT BUT 3 LAMP POST FOR ELECTRIC VEHICLES TO CHARGE UP.  WELL THERE WAS BUT NOW IT IS OUT OF ORDER AND WOULD THE OWNER OF THE DEAD SPANIEL PLEASE REMOVE IT.)

Meanwhile I had a break down day and failed to drive it anywhere. Hey ho.

Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 10:22:26 AM »
Are we talking about a vehicle breakdown here or the other type?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »
Some nice pics there, cheers. I was down in Kent and DUF is currently off the road so sadly I was not out and about.
I have an extra brake light ( a long multi LED thingy) and two extra rear indicators inside my car at the base of the rear dome. All three are mounted on brackets which are Araldited into place so they can be removed without leaving any holes or alterations to the bodywork. The indicators are made of the round Wing-Repeater indicators from the front wings of an old FIAT, and each of these is fitted into a black plastic 35mm film tub to cover the bulb holder and wiring.
The idea of these is to make signals and braking more noticeable to following cars, especially as drivers are used to seeing modern lights much higher on the car.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 10:33:05 PM »
Heinkel piccy. That is not a modern picture is it? If it is where did you find that empty '50's road?

Yes, taken on Sunday in Greenock, west of Glasgow.  Typical of many Scottish towns.  RPM942 is your kind of car Al.  Never been
restored, just used and repaired since new.  Its retains all its period 70s features such as a paint job done with a brush, embossed vinyl on the dash, extra rear lights and tinted dome made out of two broken domes joined by a fibreglass patch.  What a great car.  Will never win and prizes but who cares  :D

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 06:36:46 AM »

Yes, taken on Sunday in Greenock, west of Glasgow.  Typical of many Scottish towns.  RPM942 is your kind of car Al.  Never been
restored, just used and repaired since new.  Its retains all its period 70s features such as a paint job done with a brush, embossed vinyl on the dash, extra rear lights and tinted dome made out of two broken domes joined by a fibreglass patch.  What a great car.  Will never win and prizes but who cares  :D

Best condition if you want to use them!

Out of the few cars I've driven, my dads first schmitt (2 tone blue) is my favorite to drive. I have driven a restored car (my brothers one) but even that isnt the same... Maybe its just because I feel more confident in a tatty one, that doesn't matter as much IF something happens!

JP
Mopeds:

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:56:27 AM »
Are we talking about a vehicle breakdown here or the other type?

One leads to the other!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 10:15:33 AM »

[/quote]

Yes that is a great find. Just stabilise and conserve then enjoy. If at a rally more people will look at tatty cars than minters as the car has a story to tell.

Greenock, have a diary of a forbear, Johnstone - clan based round Ecklefechan and Moffat, who entered into the Herring trade from the base of Greenock. This bought barrels of herrings from Orkney to ship to markets worldwide. The diary is about his first trip up to Orkney by sail coaster in 1840 odd. Fascinating document. That apprenticeship lead to a general shipping business and then links with dominant Liverpool, which is where my mothers Welsh family were already doing business. Though they were always proud of coming from the Wirrall rather than Liverpool itself. After a few more generations there is the link of now middle class merchant venturers. Newspaper report on society wedding etc.
Never been to Greenock myself.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 12:35:51 PM »
Interesting stuff Al, my Mum has letters from ancestors of hers who were trading with Macao, Tartary*, in the early 1700s, details of the epic sea voyages, the walled enclosures there where Dutch, French, Protugese**, and English*** traders were housed and only allowed out of for trading appointments and journeys to and fro. Most of the letters were sent from there, as they spent months at a time living there, and the letters are all Cross Written: lines of text running horizontally and superimposed vertical text to save paper.

* As in the letters, China

** Those Protugese are comin' only from Protugal (© Willium/Mate, Spike Milligna, The Goons)

*** In those days "England" and "English" included Scotland, Wales and Ireland
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »
all those comimg from wirral are proud of it al  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977