Author Topic: 1931 Goliath Pionier  (Read 11784 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: 1931 Goliath Pionier
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 12:24:07 PM »
Great chord structure! And brings us neatly back to topic: GOLIATH!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 05:39:46 PM »
GOLIATH!

Mmmm, Beer.

I am surprised Bob is actively not favourable to the style to. But then if we all liked the same things.... This has to find an owner here surely.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 06:01:44 PM »
By "GOLIATH!" I was actually referring to the giant size of certain er, items in Bob's photo, but as you so rightly say Goliath is a particularly fine brew, a while since I last had it. A young and trendy pub in central Greenwich (which I was dragged to for a post-Birthday lunch) has Sharp's Doombar bar on tap. I ordered it in preference to all the flavourless mass-market pap, expecting it to be 3rd rate at best, but was delighted to find it as good as in the best Cornish pubs. What with reasonably good pasties and pies available now at London Rail Termini things are looking up, except when a train I was on braked very hard very suddenly. I was thrown on my side on the floor, with the giant pasty landing on the side of my head, or in other words......GOLIATH PIE ON EAR.

(Gets coat, exits rapidly stage left)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 08:51:58 PM »
By "GOLIATH!" I was actually referring to the giant size of certain er, items in Bob's photo, but as you so rightly say Goliath is a particularly fine brew, a while since I last had it. A young and trendy pub in central Greenwich (which I was dragged to for a post-Birthday lunch) has Sharp's Doombar bar on tap. I ordered it in preference to all the flavourless mass-market pap, expecting it to be 3rd rate at best, but was delighted to find it as good as in the best Cornish pubs. What with reasonably good pasties and pies available now at London Rail Termini things are looking up, except when a train I was on braked very hard very suddenly. I was thrown on my side on the floor, with the giant pasty landing on the side of my head, or in other words......GOLIATH PIE ON EAR.

Sound like you were performing a "Pastiche" Ho Ho!! I will also get my coat!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 09:31:35 PM »
A Coatish Pastiche!
(coat)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 07:10:53 AM »

Did you hang around long enough to find the Pioneer Core?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 07:22:50 AM »
Doombar is a fine pint. Look out for the weaker session brew too. Comes from Padstein so it has to stand up to foodies who throng the area for Rick Stein etc. The pub that was my local when I was allowed to drink lots had it as permanent guest beer. If you ever see Yates from West Newton, Cumbria they have a great range with that hard to find well balanced session bitter.

A long way from Golli's. There are few over here. My latish trike truck is up near Pickering. I know of several none microcar cars then I am struggling.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 08:12:56 AM »
Betty Stoggs is another good Cornish one, and St Austel Brewery's Tin Miner and their fantastic creamy Stout. Rick Stein might be trendy, but Sharps make 3 of his Ale recipes (named after his dog) under licence. The strongest one (I forget its name) comes in a small bottle for good reason. I hate to sound all trendy and foody, but it is exceptionally good, respect! I had a few great glasses of that Coniston Brewery's Blue Bird when I was working up there making a goliath lithophone (stone xylophone).

Now we really must get back on Topic (or other chocolate coated bars) and stop talking about beer and Pie On 'Ere!

(My coat is wearing out!)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 09:03:10 AM »
Yep there must be a beer forum or two elsewhere. The MEC tends to inhabit pubs that serve proper beer. Not being able to partake much I am happy to be picky.

Microcar events used to be about beer as well and most events were based at a good supplier of libations. Now folk have fridges and can buy tinned crap at the supermarket to bring with them and save a few quid towards their camping infrastructure - saving pennies, spending pounds - this element of convivial meeting has rather been overshadowed. Time was the Isetta club bought a barrel with them! While in no way singling out especially I see the National this year has no bar, for instance. It is clearly the trend from a field behind a pub to organised accommodation in line with aspirations and equipment. Hey ho. Not that it matter so much to me now, but it does to the massed ranks of the BUMS. A cheese shop would be a very good substitute?

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 02:18:51 PM »
I don't drink at all now, not that its against my religion but in 1983 I was diagnosed with Gilbert syndrome, a liver disorder[formerly Gilbert's disease but sounded contagious which it isn't!] All alcohol instantly turns me yellow with a soar head!

Cheese shops? Now your talking!! 8) 8) 

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 02:48:36 PM »
Funnily enough I drink very little, usually one bottle of beer on a Friday night. Because I drink so little it does affect me much more, so that limits how much I can drink! It's also why I only choose the very best drinks available, because they are the ones I really enjoy.

Cheese too is wonderful stuff, so much variety and so many ways to enjoy it. We grow very tasty tomatoes here in the summer and the cheese plant thrives. I am now trying to invent a pizza dough plant and a beer plant to complete the produce.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2012, 11:21:30 AM »
I don't drink at all now, not that its against my religion but in 1983 I was diagnosed with Gilbert syndrome, a liver disorder[formerly Gilbert's disease but sounded contagious which it isn't!] All alcohol instantly turns me yellow with a soar head!

So get Bob legless, he will turn yellow and then we can decorate his bonce in the shop window wherein is displayed the happiest cheese in Christendom. Clearly a cheese crawl is scoring higher than a pub crawl. I can go along with that. Is there a Goliath Cheese?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 12:48:18 PM »
There is Pioneer Cheese in USA, and a game called Goliath Cheese Kaos.
There is also a goliath cheese aroma emanating from my workboots

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 05:53:58 PM »

So get Bob legless, he will turn yellow and then we can decorate his bonce in the shop window wherein is displayed the happiest cheese in Christendom. Clearly a cheese crawl is scoring higher than a pub crawl. I can go along with that. Is there a Goliath Cheese?
You could do that but make sure my bonce is right next to a nice ripe piece of brie!  Chomp chomp!!

The last really good cheese shop I was in was at Tavistock in the west country, I bought a cheese called a Black eyed Susan, very tasty!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:58:33 PM by Bob Purton »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2012, 04:53:38 PM »
crikey ! thats not marcus is it ? never met him/her  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977