Author Topic: Zagato Volpe  (Read 12513 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Zagato Volpe
« on: April 21, 2012, 10:54:02 PM »
Another forthcoming electric car, designed by the same guy who designed the Bugatti EB110 and narrower than a Peel P50. The video mirrors the Peels famous Top Gear exploits

http://www.cars-electric.com/zagato-volpe-city-car-specifications-and-price/
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Zagato Volpe
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:43:13 AM »
Wheels look far to big but whatever. There are enough designs about now that there can be competition for market. Where is the market? I think some movement by Government/Councils might be needed to tip the balance in favour. Then these designs have to compete with things like the Tata Nano which could well be for sale at half the price. I suspect it would be more money as they might need to westernise the thing a bit. Also electric/hybrid cars would seem to be the preferred option in built up areas. However Asia grows ever balder and more dominant in the auto world and if our markets are niche they are more likely to be offered what they are given. How the pendulum swings. That would leave the way open for limited market machinery at a premium price. MIcrocars become fashionable battery burners.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »
Another forthcoming electric car, designed by the same guy who designed the Bugatti EB110 and narrower than a Peel P50. The video mirrors the Peels famous Top Gear exploits

http://www.cars-electric.com/zagato-volpe-city-car-specifications-and-price/

Uh, I think he should have sticked to the EB110 design than throwing out this idea of a driving vacuum cleaner!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 09:16:15 AM »
Actually Jonathan, thats not a bad idea, the Dyson Diablo, being electric you can now vacuum the office carpets without filling the building with carbon monoxide before you drive home for the day!  :D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:20:28 AM »
Actually Jonathan, thats not a bad idea, the Dyson Diablo, being electric you can now vacuum the office carpets without filling the building with carbon monoxide before you drive home for the day!  :D

Carbon monoxide offers a saving on Carbon dioxide. Bargain.

Suggested use - Channel tunnel, assuming fitments of passenger cabins, and ferry parking areas. Goodness me, no migrants in the cargo! Flog the leftovers to Damien Hirst who can export the stiffs for millions. At last immigration really will be solving our debt crisis! No need for border control either so a saving there too.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 01:00:25 PM »
So I was correct in my assumption that its only single cylinder engines that emit carbon monoxide , all the other dioxide?  :D

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 04:32:16 PM »
Like various other small cars the design is limited by their dimensions and by legislation, and a lot of them do look very similar due to this, including the Smart Coupe. This looks pretty good to me, but the really important factor is not what they look like but how many people can be persuaded to commute in small cars. These days most drivers are virtually addicted to large executive saloons, MPCs and 4WDs.

Yesterday down in Kent I saw a Triumph 2500 and a Ford Zephyr Mk 6 ("Aircraft Carrier"). These were BIG cars in their day, now they look almost cute and quaint beside all the huge Benzes. Similarly the newest Mini Cooper is almost as big as the first model Range Rover. Cities NEED people to use smaller cars, but still very few are prepared to dispense with their executive barges. As with all of them I hope it meets with success, but not too sure that it will.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
I guess you saw those cars as a result of Drive it day? Did anyone do anything, I rode a small vintage motorcycle around locally, saw a Fiat 500 [real one] and an great big yankie guzzler [very Essexman!]  opposite ends of the spectrum really!   Nothing else to report.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 07:24:23 PM »
Hehe Bob I wouldnt fancy driving a vacuum cleaner myself ;)

Marcus, what makes you say that? They can make the body however they like! Worst is the renault Zoe... What where they thinking?
Mopeds:

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »
I do not know what regulations do or do not apply to Electric cars and very small "City" cars, but the normal regs for cars are amazingly complex, covering things like the size of all lights, what height they are above the road and how close to the side of the car they are. There are regs for impact resistance, the potential risk to pedestrians and bikes, and thousands of other regs concerning the safety and behaviour of cars, and these put major limitations on how a production car can look.

Then when you reduce the size of a car to really small things get really difficult. If you take a Heinkel as an example of a classic small car, it has a very compact air-cooled engine and transmission stuck in the back. next there are arches for two front wheels to revolve and steer in. The rest of the space in this small car is available for passengers and cargo. If you want to make any modern "equivalent", the power plant/transmission/fuel tank and/or batteries is almost certainly going to be far less compact, as people expect water cooling and radiators and heaters, plus all sorts of extras including more bulky and sophisticated steering, suspension and braking. Then add in all the modern safety equipment, and suddenly you find that the space available for passengers is much less than in a Heinkel, so the designers immediately have to get the most space available from the floor-plan, so it will inevitably be boxy. Lastly, it is actually much easier to design a medium to big car to look better. For a start the size will make it look more impressive, but you can also get long flowing curves and swooping lines, whereas a small car is very likely to look boxy. If you look at really basic cars, e.g. Sans Permit cars like the Acoma Comtesse they are all fairly boxy. Add to that the fact that you more-or-less have to keep the price down to attract sales also means you have to design it to be cheap to make.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 08:08:59 PM »
as people expect water cooling and radiators and heaters, plus all sorts of extras including more bulky and sophisticated steering, suspension and braking.

That is the problem. We are talking transport, they are talking lifestyle and the option never to use gadgets which are considered a must for the fashion conscious successful person around town. The simplest way to impose your image is size so the smaller the car the more difficult to bring it into line with modern values. Bizarrely come out to the country and such things are less important to the indigenous population who prefer practicality over flash yet have room for these 'off roaders'. These off roaders that cannot actually go off road in the form they are sold. Answer, proof of ownership of stock or land significant to have a battle barge or you get to pay a humongous tax bill for blocking the road up. This include non functional off roaders as they cannot perform the function for which they are made. Yep, so the toffs get the big cars. What is wrong with that?

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 08:09:21 PM »
I do not know what regulations do or do not apply to Electric cars and very small "City" cars, but the normal regs for cars are amazingly complex, covering things like the size of all lights, what height they are above the road and how close to the side of the car they are. There are regs for impact resistance, the potential risk to pedestrians and bikes, and thousands of other regs concerning the safety and behaviour of cars, and these put major limitations on how a production car can look.

Then when you reduce the size of a car to really small things get really difficult. If you take a Heinkel as an example of a classic small car, it has a very compact air-cooled engine and transmission stuck in the back. next there are arches for two front wheels to revolve and steer in. The rest of the space in this small car is available for passengers and cargo. If you want to make any modern "equivalent", the power plant/transmission/fuel tank and/or batteries is almost certainly going to be far less compact, as people expect water cooling and radiators and heaters, plus all sorts of extras including more bulky and sophisticated steering, suspension and braking. Then add in all the modern safety equipment, and suddenly you find that the space available for passengers is much less than in a Heinkel, so the designers immediately have to get the most space available from the floor-plan, so it will inevitably be boxy. Lastly, it is actually much easier to design a medium to big car to look better. For a start the size will make it look more impressive, but you can also get long flowing curves and swooping lines, whereas a small car is very likely to look boxy. If you look at really basic cars, e.g. Sans Permit cars like the Acoma Comtesse they are all fairly boxy. Add to that the fact that you more-or-less have to keep the price down to attract sales also means you have to design it to be cheap to make.

I'll just stick to petrol microcars ;)
Mopeds:

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 08:21:07 PM »
Agreed!
The 50s and 60s were a golden age for micro cars, most of which we all know and love today. However, few or most likely NONE of them would be road legal if made today, and companies like Bond, Fend, Iso, Heinkel would have a far tougher time trying to get a good design today, and would probably only be able to add to the numerous "boxes-with-rounded-corners" which we see today. At my Studios we share a Suzuki Wagon, a car which many people deride for its boxy looks, yet it does everything a compact modern car is expected to AND can carry a surprisingly large number of drums, timpani, Drum Car, passengers and luggage etc with ease, far more than a bigger car like a Golf or Astra, and a similar size car like a Ka or Corsa would be hopeless for my needs.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 09:11:41 PM »
Agreed!
The 50s and 60s were a golden age for micro cars, most of which we all know and love today. However, few or most likely NONE of them would be road legal if made today, and companies like Bond, Fend, Iso, Heinkel would have a far tougher time trying to get a good design today, and would probably only be able to add to the numerous "boxes-with-rounded-corners" which we see today. At my Studios we share a Suzuki Wagon, a car which many people deride for its boxy looks, yet it does everything a compact modern car is expected to AND can carry a surprisingly large number of drums, timpani, Drum Car, passengers and luggage etc with ease, far more than a bigger car like a Golf or Astra, and a similar size car like a Ka or Corsa would be hopeless for my needs.

Fritz Fend was a Genius, I'm sure he would have worked something out!
Mopeds:

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 10:56:15 PM »
 Alas, genius counts for nothing against bureaucracy....