Author Topic: Unseizing a piston  (Read 20885 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Unseizing a piston
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 11:07:19 PM »
Another way might be to leave it in a room with an unattended small child or dog and tell them before you leave the room that under no circumstances are they to touch it.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 09:13:56 AM »
The barrel is not attached to the engine block so I can twist it, whack it, leave in the care of a small child or dog etc etc. I took my Fiat in for its MOT yesterday [Grande Punto, the one Ann Robinson says cannot be steered by the worlds strongest man!] I run my seizure prob past the examiner, he suggested a rust eater like Jenolite so its soaking it the stuff as we speak. I have used it before for dissolving rust but had forgotten about the stuff. I will let you know what happens.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 10:26:07 AM »
[quote auth Rusty Chrome link=topic=3265.msg22077#msg22077 date=1335564439]
Another way might be to leave it in a room with an unattended small child or dog and tell them before you leave the room that under no circumstances are they to touch it.
[/quote]

;D Good one!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 06:32:44 PM »
Hurrah!!   I got the piston out this afternoon.  Jenolite appears to have broken the seal. The bore will have to be bored out to the next size as its pitted, not surprising realty.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 07:36:51 PM »
Great result!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 08:03:02 PM »
Excellent, have to get some of that.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 07:34:58 AM »
Hurrah!!   I got the piston out this afternoon.  Jenolite appears to have broken the seal. The bore will have to be bored out to the next size as its pitted, not surprising realty.

There is Jenolite at the end of the tunnel.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 09:31:09 AM »
Oh very good Al!  I have noticed each time I have removed a long time seized piston that the rings get a build up of crud behind them forcing them out against the bore, I guess if a rust eater can penitrate the ring gap and disolve this crud thats how it allows it to free up.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 09:42:11 AM »
Oh very good Al!  I have noticed each time I have removed a long time seized piston that the rings get a build up of crud behind them forcing them out against the bore, I guess if a rust eater can penitrate the ring gap and disolve this crud thats how it allows it to free up.

I concur but blamed rust. Maybe not but what ever it is it is a damned nuisance.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 03:16:53 PM »
I've always found it to be a white powdery substance under the rings but I guess it depends on if the rings are in alloy grooves or steel grooves.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 03:20:10 PM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 06:46:09 PM »
I've always found it to be a white powdery substance under the rings but I guess it depends on if the rings are in alloy grooves or steel grooves.

Sounds more like Ali corrosion but I cannot say I have found ali ring grooves showing signs of corrosion other than when it was obvious and the piston damaged or dead already. Might have to get a magnifying glass out on a few stashed suspects awaiting possible re use that have stuck rings.