Author Topic: Pedal Power  (Read 13688 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Pedal Power
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 05:05:34 PM »
Oh YES!  ;D The solo on Fragile is good, but I have not heard this one for years, Yes Album, might have to get the CD, love his play out on Starship Trooper, and far as Bill Bruford he, with Simon Phillps, is probably my favourite drummer of all.

Off Topic perhaps, but it's your thread!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 05:12:56 PM »
Al you posted while I was posting...I think it was Ian MATTHEWS in FC, later Matthew's Southern Comfort, who had a hit with Woodstock. Ian Anderson took his stage from Jethro Tull, and a few years ago I helped build a replica of his Seed Drill for the BBC series What The Tudors and Stuarts Did For Us (I did a lot of work for that series). Our replica was actually filmed on JT's old farmland near M4 (or M40?) near Hungerford I think.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »
Al you posted while I was posting...I think it was Ian MATTHEWS in FC, later Matthew's Southern Comfort, who had a hit with Woodstock. Ian Anderson took his stage from Jethro Tull, and a few years ago I helped build a replica of his Seed Drill for the BBC series What The Tudors and Stuarts Did For Us (I did a lot of work for that series). Our replica was actually filmed on JT's old farmland near M4 (or M40?) near Hungerford I think.

Prosperous Farm near Hungerford.

The Fairport thing with Anderson was based on Crepodrey as the Fairports are talented enough to deputise for Tull while Ian did one legged flute things up front. Like I say, great musicians as some Tull stuff is really rather complicated. I assume that some practice was had but it often seemed rather spontaneous not least as Anderson occasionally was the worst for wear so some hole filling was required.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 05:52:26 PM »
I saw JT at Hammersmith Odeon about 20 years ago with ex Fairport Dave (?) Pegg on bass. Great band, and as you say, great musicians playing complicated music so effortlessly that it does not sound complicated. I never did see Yes live, I think their best albums are The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge. Later stuff was less fresh, and when Alan White took over from Bruford as tub thumper they were past it, for me. By any standards White is a fantastic drummer, but much more rigid and solid, and I always like the way Bruford LIMITED his technical mastery to suit Yes, but still ran circles around some very complex music. "Rubber Wrists Bruford" !

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »
Didnt Ian Matthews also do a great version of Brown eyed girl?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2012, 09:20:16 PM »
I only Van Morrison's one

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2012, 09:27:32 PM »
You only WHAT? Van Morrison one??   I actually bought the Ian Mattews version on VINYAL, back on topic!! Oh no this one is pedal power, well I remember cycling to the record shop and buying it!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2012, 09:32:39 PM »
Know

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 09:35:09 AM »
I saw JT at Hammersmith Odeon about 20 years ago with ex Fairport Dave (?) Pegg on bass. Great band, and as you say, great musicians playing complicated music so effortlessly that it does not sound complicated. I never did see Yes live, I think their best albums are The Yes Album, Fragile and Close to the Edge. Later stuff was less fresh, and when Alan White took over from Bruford as tub thumper they were past it, for me. By any standards White is a fantastic drummer, but much more rigid and solid, and I always like the way Bruford LIMITED his technical mastery to suit Yes, but still ran circles around some very complex music. "Rubber Wrists Bruford" !

Still do not really get Yes. More Keith Emerson or Brian Eno if you have keyboards. Otherwise get back to rock as they get in the way other than as support but for Jon Lord style 'lead keyboard' V 'lead guitar' presentation in Deep Purple - who played Essex as a pub band.

Dylan Howe. My other favs are all dead I think, like Spinal Tap.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs