Author Topic: Vinyl Paint  (Read 12042 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Vinyl Paint
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2012, 07:34:39 AM »
Mmm. Azimuth. I like that word.

Its great to have family that made real things. You can have one or point to it and say my Uncle did that. Not quite the same when you can only say my Uncle prevented people using that thing that Bob's uncle made properly and now its redundant. I am mindful that my cars are not really mine but passing through my hands on a longer trip, hopefully, than I have to the future. Not that most will be special because I had them but in lieu of making something from scratch its as good as I can get. My father had a hand in many a project but never outright and it is amazing how much of that has disappeared already.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2012, 08:17:37 AM »
Billions of blue blistering binnacles! I remember visiting the bridge of RMS Queen Elisabeth on our way to New York in July 1964. Lots of windows and various controls and instruments which made no sense to me, but the Gosport Tubes, wheel and compass binnacle fascinated me, lots of luvverly brass. We were allowed to shout down the tube to the engine room. We did also visit the engine rooms, and could see huge shiny propeller shafts disappearing into the distance. Did the same in SS France two years later, and also a few years earlier saw around the Blue Star Liner Argentina Star on our way to Montevideo. I have very vague memories too of our first journey out to Montevideo on the SS Highland Brigade (which is shown on a few web sites). She was built in the late 1920s and looks so old fashioned that I find it hard to believe I once sailed on such an old ship. The dining room was done up to look like Tudor black beam and white plaster buildings, with bay windows looking in to it at 2nd floor level. I remember not being able to understand if we were inside the ship or outside in a square courtyard surrounded by four big buildings facing us. It's my earliest childhood memory.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 10:21:41 AM »
Mmm. Azimuth. I like that word.

Its great to have family that made real things. You can have one or point to it and say my Uncle did that. Not quite the same when you can only say my Uncle prevented people using that thing that Bob's uncle made properly and now its redundant. I am mindful that my cars are not really mine but passing through my hands on a longer trip, hopefully, than I have to the future. Not that most will be special because I had them but in lieu of making something from scratch its as good as I can get. My father had a hand in many a project but never outright and it is amazing how much of that has disappeared already.

I know what you mean Al, I dont suppose I will leave anything tangible for posterity, maybe a certain replica vehicle but every now and then a compass by Lilley and Reynolds passes through my hands and if its post war and before 1978ish I get this eerie feeling that my dad almost certainly made it, I also come across sextants that have his signature on the collimation certificate in the lid of the box. I miss him a lot!

Anyway, enough of this idle chat about compasses, now there's a thought, will compass fluid[alcohol] remove vinyl paint?  Back on topic!!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:32:52 AM by Bob Purton »