Author Topic: Vinyl Paint  (Read 12034 times)

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Vinyl Paint
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 09:56:30 PM »
Dear Marcus

When I was in the scouts we had a member by the name of Arthur Dingwall who baught himself  a compass to help him with mapping and hiking and took it back to the shop because it only pointed north.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 10:00:04 PM »
Thats funny, I have one in for restoration that has the same problem!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2012, 07:43:52 AM »
Oddly enough I DO have a compass which points South, and not accurately either. I think was magnetised incorrectly, then the the South end of the needle was painted instead of the North. I should give it to Squeak, then she will get to her destination!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2012, 07:50:54 AM »
Every 500,000 years the Earths North and South poles swap places.  Hang on to that compass, it could come in handy!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2012, 08:53:35 AM »
I know you are a bit older than the rest of us Barry but I didnt think you would have rememberd back quite that far!  ;D ;D I have a regular job sorting reverse polarity, a pal with an antiques shop has a display cabinet full of small compasses all crammed in close together, the stronger ones reverse the weaker ones and I get the job of changing them back. Easy job!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 08:59:07 AM »
Bob, you need Kelvin's Balls and Flinder's Bar.
Ooer Madam.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 09:00:56 AM »
Bob, the ball compass on you old Messerschmitt works the wrong way round - clever as you can see the direction you are going in (not so good if you dont know it points the wrong way).

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 09:09:04 AM »
Yes, I have a modern car compass which is like that, very handy.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »
Does anybody know where you can get the Tartan paint?

The one I used last was McTavish

Chris Thomas

I went to a museum place and they had a tart on paint worth thousands. She had hips like a Nobel shape so maybe that helps.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »
Every 500,000 years the Earths North and South poles swap places.  Hang on to that compass, it could come in handy!

Does the equator feel left out?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »
Bob, you need Kelvin's Balls and Flinder's Bar.
Ooer Madam.

Polite people say Kelvins spheres Marcus!  ;)  No, the spheres and flinders bar were for correction of a compass fitted to those new fangled iron hulled ships.
Ah, Lord Kelvin who held back the development of the marine compass by a hundred years! My father was a compass maker and always said that Dent made the best British compasses with features like the patent bubble trap verge! The first compass to be adopted by the British Navy as a life boat compass. More famous for making the clock movement in the Westminster tower though.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012, 09:37:14 AM »
Bob, the ball compass on you old Messerschmitt works the wrong way round - clever as you can see the direction you are going in (not so good if you dont know it points the wrong way).

Did I leave that in the car?  I wondered what had happen to that!   Circa 1957 satnav!

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »

Quite unusual, so I guess in 250 000 years, north will be east?
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »
Ah, Lord Kelvin

Who scientifically is remembered for quantifying and measuring cool. Who wants a compass that works if it looks bad? See Cat, Red Dwarf not Dwain Dibbly.

Meanwhile I am happy if it is either Pole as they work harder for longer and cheaper than the British equivalent from Greenwich. Its just a bit annoying they will not stay put and especially where the advertised position was but wonder around a bit.

Interesting topic and into research mode about Flinder's bar

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2012, 10:21:05 PM »
That's partly my point Al, Lord Kelvin perpetuated production of the dry card compass for far longer than it should have been made purely for commercial reasons, they do wobble around a bit, a spirit or oil fill compass  dampers the movement down and is far easier to use. Try using a WW1 prismatic marching compass and then switch to a Mk3 Prismatic WW2 jobby, a world of difference, the former is dry, the latter is alcohol filled. My father made full size ships compasses for LIlley and Reynolds ltd, they had to be tested at the National physical laboratory at Teddington, they froze them then boiled them to make sure they were unburstable! I do work now for one of the few surviving compass adjusters left in the Uk. They talk a different language, heeling error, swinging the compass, azimuth etc etc.