Author Topic: Pedal Power  (Read 13690 times)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Pedal Power
« on: May 03, 2012, 11:09:11 AM »
http://www.gizmag.com/athos-extreme-quad-cycle/22152/pictures#3

Just needs an engine (petrol or electric?)

blob

• Prolific Poster
Re: Pedal Power
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »
Cool, could run a few pedestrians over with that!! ;D

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:23:20 AM »
Hmm, it looks far too big and heavy, with too much rolling resistance from tyres, bearings, transmission etc. A trike with two front wheels is a much better bet for that sort of use, and many are available around the world now. I saw one going along Rotten Row in Hyde Park a few years ago, and having a full length seat back and low riding position gives maximum leg power. The trike I saw was overtaking all the cars effortlessly, and was doing about 35-40 mph on long but shallow uphill gradient (risking a speeding ticket too!)

This sort of thing is more to my taste:

http://www.kmxkarts.co.uk/

That Quad bike actually makes me think of Henry Ford's Quadricycle, his first car.

A few weeks ago in Lymington, Hants. I saw a tandem trike, with single front wheel (boo!)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:24:56 AM by marcus »
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:28:20 AM »
I agree Marcus, though the same problem remains, being squashed by a bus as you're far to low.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 11:40:45 AM »
Yup, I only ride upright bikes in London, plus hi-vis tunic and trouser leg straps to give me some chance of being seen.

I have seen some recumbent bikes with a pennant or two up on top of glorified aerial affairs, but still feel nervous when I see them. Furthermore if/when you DO get hit (as I have been 3 times) you have some chance of jumping off, up and away.

I think these trikes and quads are more for off-road and sports, but I do have worries, because a lot of people (including me) like a nice walk along public footpaths without constantly having to dodge all the new vehicles being made which allow anti-social twits to drive, ride or cycle along FOOTpaths with so little regard for those that actually on foot. A while back we were walking in the lovely Oxleas Woods in South London (soon to become 2012 South london Anti-Aircraft Missile Battery no. 3). A fellow was riding a BMX trials bike in the woods even though there are plenty of signs that they are forbidden. We asked him to go away, because the noise and smoke was not nice, and we got a string of foul abuse and he charged at us.

I love the idea off off-road vehicles whatever the power source, but HATe the way so many owners seem to think that ownership brings the right to break laws and disturb and terrorise the public.

...And breathe...!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 01:51:48 PM »
Sounds like you would like the Vincent run at Stevenage them Marcus, its a course around the purpose built cycle paths of Stevenage, only cycles of any wheel configuration and mopeds/ cyclemotors, nothing over 50cc is allowed, it stops off at the site of the old Vincent factory.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 02:03:37 PM »
Sounds interesting!

Said Red Molly to James 'That's a fine motor bike,
A girl could feel special on any such like'.
Said James to Red Molly 'My hat's off to you,
It's A Vincent Black Lightning 1952'.

Richard Thompson, Vincent Black Lightning 1952, Rumour and Sigh album, brill!
He has one, jammy beggar! Rides it around L.A. where he now lives. Gorgeous machines, only equalled/bettered IMO by Brough Superiors.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 02:23:41 PM »
And I would wager he was puffing on a pipe and wearing a cravat whilst uttering said words. :D

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »
No, a villain, gets shot robbing a bank, dies, gives Red Molly the keys, then ghostly motorcyclists carry him off.
Guitar and vocals, that's all there is and all it needs, brilliant song, I saw him singing it live at Guilfest. Best song-writer/guitarist on the planet, IMO.

Great taste in motorcycles too!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 03:09:55 PM »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »
Cheers Squire, that's the one, it gets better with every listen and every time he does it he makes changes.

When Squeak and I saw him there was a fantastic sunset which lasted an hour. we had both taken a few photos of it. He finished one song then stopped and said something like this "I don't know why you are all looking at me when there's the best sunset ever going on behind you and I have a great view of, turn around and enjoy it. Everyone did and he started VBS 1952, to a huge roar of cheers and applause from all. It was a truly magical moment and I still get tingles down my spine when I hear the song and think of Squeak and I listening to it and watching the sunset.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »
Ohh Richard Thompson!  I havnt listened to him since he left Fairport Convention, JUDAS!!   Only joking!   Why do you keep refering to the International Martime Organisation? IMO?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 04:34:31 PM »
The International Maritime Organisation, In My Opinion, is a fine organisation!

After Fairport Convention it was him and his then wife Linda for years, but never really my cup of Twinings Lemon and Ginger Tea! His solo work since then has just got better and better, Rumour and Sigh is one of his "rockest" CDs, and my favourite. I have heard so many guitar solos in my life that I am bored of them, but RT and Jeff Beck always impress me.

Getting vaguely back to off-road pedal power, a while back I bought a Daewoo Shuttle folding bike, to fit in cars and to take on trains down to Squeak's. I aslo took it to Festivals to get around the site, and the Guilford one where we saw RT was its unveiling to the Fezheads, and I figured I could expect merciless mickey-taking. We unpacked the huge van, and Scary Fez, a HUGE fellow with the most cutting wit, was the first to see it and I was worried about his imminent salvo. WRONG, he just said "Wow that's a handy little bike, can I have a go?" I let him, but still expected extreme sarcasm, be off he went immediately across the fields to the beer tent, and wobbled back merry on it 4 hours later. No sarcastic remarks at all, he loved it, because it got him to the beer quicker!

So that's a Daewoo Shuttle Folding bike, the frame is solid, but the handles fold over on a universal joint, and the saddle is on a two piece telescopic up-tube which compacts down nicely, very handy little bike, bankrupt stock for £20 and another £40 to re-build the back wheel with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub gear box, and YES, I HAVE been off-road on it! Phew, fully back on topic!

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 04:58:31 PM »
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 05:59:41 PM by Isetta_Owner »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 05:03:56 PM »
Sounds like you would like the Vincent run at Stevenage them Marcus, its a course around the purpose built cycle paths of Stevenage, only cycles of any wheel configuration and mopeds/ cyclemotors, nothing over 50cc is allowed, it stops off at the site of the old Vincent factory.

'It takes a steven age to do this Vincent run'!
'I say, steady on. I'd suggest that is just HRD luck, old boy'.

I trust NSU Quicklys are allowed in seeing as Vincent sold them for a bit before NSU decided it would do so itself as Vincent made to much money out of it.

My favourite member of Fartpourla Convention was Ian Anderson. Oh sorry, when he is with them they named themselves after the inventor of the horse drawn seed drill from 311 years ago. Obvious choice really. Very accomplished musicians but not quite my thing always.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs