Author Topic: What do you think of my new build?  (Read 5316 times)

Smart51

• Chatty
What do you think of my new build?
« on: November 29, 2012, 07:28:25 PM »
It has just passed the MSVA test so is road legal and I'm waiting for the DVLA to issue me a number plate.  It has a 250cc scooter engine of 22 BHP and weighs 240kg.  It should top 70 MPH, though it is perhaps best not to drive at its top speed for very long.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: What do you think of my new build?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:21:45 PM »
Well done. That space frame is a work of art! Are you going to fit a skin or stick with the Atom look?

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 12:29:53 AM »
Nice!  Mine weighs about 320 kg and can only manage about 60 mph (on a good day), extracting a mere 16 hp from its 453cc Tecumseh engine.  I can take no credit on the build.

197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 09:24:36 AM »
A similar thinking process to the Pod. More complex space frame. Be interesting to see it in the flesh, as it were. Can you see a skeletal thing in the flesh? Which engine did you go for. The Pod being older now has a Honda Forsite 250 four stroke. That engine has been developed over the years and I am out of touch if has now been superseded by a completely new unit. The Majesty engine has been used similarly in a few back end altered cars.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 12:01:49 PM »
Looks fantastic and I want a go in it! Well done.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 07:11:09 PM »
Very nice.  What is the front suspension from?

Smart51

• Chatty
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 07:19:56 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  The engine came from a Piaggio X8, which I chose because it had the most modern engine and the best fuel consumption of the 250cc scooters.  The front uprights, anti-roll bar and steering are from a Fiat Seicento with wishbones I made myself.

Hmm.  The space frame was laborious and the insides of the front were tricky to get at and weld.  Painting it was even worse.  I was for ever finding bits I'd missed!  It was tested as shown so can be driven without a cover.  I am thinking of making a fabric cover for the front and sides to improve aerodynamics.  Less drag = less strain on the engine = less fuel burned.  On the other hand, I might just leave it as it is.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 08:07:09 PM »
Did you do all the fabricating and welding? Is it ali or steel?
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 08:56:24 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.  The engine came from a Piaggio X8, which I chose because it had the most modern engine and the best fuel consumption of the 250cc scooters. 

Well the Piaggio Hexagon was a licensed built Honda 250. So I wonder if this engine is the latest version under licence. Likely less expensive, if so, than the equivalent Honda. Either way a good choice as it will probably be plenty quick enough without going to a bigger cc. Should be thrifty while being great fun.

Why not cover it is clear plastic material. I thought of doing this with a naked Velorex, so as to show off the skeleton. A speeding ticket picture could be interesting. Man on arse clocked at 85 mph! We went further and thought of including lines of coloured LEDs so it would look like a giant plasmodium with cilia beating on the road.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 10:55:53 AM »
More photos showing some of the details would be lovely.

What would be quite cool to cover it would be packaging plastic - after being wrapped, it can be heated to shrink it onto the shape, which would show off the lovely frame nicely.

Smart51

• Chatty
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 07:26:26 PM »
The frame is steel and I fabricated it all myself.  Round tubes are lovely but there's a whole lot of fishmouthes to cut  All at odd angles too.

The QUASAR engine is a Piaggio design and as far as I know, not related to the Hexagon engine.  It was new for the X8 and was designed for low emissions.  With EFI and a catalytic converter, the emissions test at MSVA read almost zero.

This pic is from before the build was finished but it shows the front in more detail
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:35:57 PM by Smart51 »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 08:15:38 PM »
that is a beautiful and very skilled piece of work 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977