Author Topic: Pre-1960 vehicles exempted from MoT  (Read 42607 times)

Barry

• Prolific Poster
Re: Pre-1960 vehicles exempted from MoT
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2012, 03:23:44 PM »
I have just cycled down hill to my local motorcycle shop that does MOTs. It was hell coming back though, (bad knees). As I have bought a few bikes from them and had mopeds MOTed there from around 2006-9 I thought that they would know all the answers. But no, they say they have had no information about pre-1960 vehicles exempted from MOTs after 18th Nov.
Strange, but maybe the authorities have told them to keep quiet.

Ever thought of getting an IC?

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2012, 03:12:29 PM »
I now have new registration numbers for my Morris and Velocette.

Wonder if the old ones, now on retainers, will ever sell.  At least I now have a definite chance - roll-on the 18th November.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2012, 04:26:45 PM »
Here is part of a letter from DVLA concerning the pre 1960 exemption for MOTs. that I have seen.

From 18 November 2012, vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960 will become exempt from the requirements to have a mandatory MoT test. I can confirm that these vehicles will still be required to be in a roadworthy condition when used on a public road. Keepers of pre-1960 vehicles will still be able to take a voluntary MoT test at all approved testing stations if they wish to do so.
This means that on or after 18 November 2012, keepers of vehicles who need to tax their pre-1960 vehicle(s) will not need to produce a valid MOT pass certificate when applying for a tax disc. Any application to tax via the Post Office or Local Office will require a completed V112 (Declaration of exemption from MoT testing) where the customer declares that their vehicle is exempt. In addition, the DVLA electronic vehicle licensing system will enable customers with pre-1960 vehicles to tax without a MoT from 18 November 2012.
This exemption will also apply to vehicles where a date of manufacture is not on the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) system, but the date of registration is recorded as being on or before 7 January 1960. We also apply this policy to the qualification criteria for the pre-1973 Vehicle Excise Duty exemption.
I can confirm that the Agency will continue to allow pre-1960 vehicles to either transfer or retain their registration mark using the current cherished transfer scheme provided a voluntary MoT has been passed. This is to ensure that vehicles are still in existence and prevent potential fraudulent claims for attractive marks.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »
Well that's all I needed from them - but they could not give me.  Something in black and white (or is it still a bit grey)
Shame about the Morris number change but the Velocette will be scrapped anyway.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2012, 05:21:50 PM »
interesting rob where was the complete article - where did you see it
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2012, 10:19:01 PM »
Still doesnt cover my question of what happens with a vehicle registered in 1960 but manufactured in 1959.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2012, 09:25:11 AM »
Here is the complete letter and does answere my issue as well, I need to supply copy of the factory records re chassis numbers or a Glasses guide reference to prove the car was built in 59.

This letter was recieved by the Landrover owners club, did Rumcars also receive such a letter?  If not why not!

I am writing to notify you of a change in legislation that may impact a number of your members.
From 18 November 2012, vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1960 will become exempt from the requirements to have a mandatory MoT test. I can confirm that these vehicles will still be required to be in a roadworthy condition when used on a public road.
Keepers of pre-1960 vehicles will still be able to take a voluntary MoT test at all approved testing stations if they wish to do so. This means that on or after 18 November 2012, keepers of vehicles who need to tax their pre-1960 vehicle(s) will not need to produce a valid MOT pass certificate when applying for a tax disc.
Any application to tax via the Post Office or Local Office will require a completed V112 (Declaration of exemption from MoT testing) where the customer declares that their vehicle is exempt. In addition, the DVLA electronic vehicle licensing system will enable customers with pre-1960 vehicles to tax without a MoT from 18 November 2012.
This exemption will also apply to vehicles where a date of manufacture is not on the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) system, but the date of registration is recorded as being on or before 7 January 1960. We also apply this policy to the qualification criteria for the pre-1973 Vehicle Excise Duty exemption.
I can confirm that the Agency will continue to allow pre-1960 vehicles to either transfer or retain their registration mark using the current cherished transfer scheme provided a voluntary MoT has been passed. This is to ensure that vehicles are still in existence and prevent potential fraudulent claims for attractive marks.
Where keepers believe their current vehicle should be exempt due to the law change but their Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) does not reflect this they will need to write to the DVLA to request a change. The address to write to is DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.
In order to ensure the accuracy and integrity of the vehicle records held at the DVLA, it is important that evidence provided to amend or add information already held on our system is accurate and truly reflects the vehicle for which it is issued. Therefore it has been decided that for these specific cases, requests will only be considered where it has been accompanied with either an extract from the manufacturer/factory record or an extract from the appropriate ‘Glass’s Check Book’. Both these documents will have a direct link to the chassis number that should already have been accepted and recorded on the vehicle record as part of the initial registration process. I can confirm that for these specific cases, DVLA will not accept general dating certificates as evidence to amend or update the date of manufacture. Such certificates will however, continue to be accepted for other purposes such as V765 claims and requests for age related numbers for recently restored or recently imported vehicles.
I trust this explains the situation.
Yours sincerely
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:27:42 AM by Bob Purton »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2012, 09:48:51 AM »
In the light of the previously posted letter I am keen to find out for sure if
my April 1960 Isetta was manufactured in late 59 or early 1960 , it appears that
the DVLA will only accept factory chassis records or an old glasses guide to
establish this. I think I'm right in saying that the factory records do not exist.
Does anyone have a appropriate glasses guide which establishes what the last
chassis number to roll off the line was in 59 ? My cars chassis number is
321692. Any help much appreciated.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2012, 11:10:48 AM »
So all limited production vehicles, kit cars and specials are now out on a limb if they are not registered. As such they will presumably have to pass through a modern inspection process before being issued with a registration. In many cases that will prove impossible. Could be a lot of projects coming up on eBay! Much as expected with number sales needing a valid MOT. Mostly good news save I have yet to believe that insurers are going to accept the liability as unchanged. They have been put into a position of not knowing what the new rules were to be as well off course. So will there be a tightening up of classic car policy declarations etc.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2012, 12:27:30 PM »
My bruetsch built in 1954 has paperwork first registered 1961 but a recognised authority can inspect it if I want , and provide what's needed. Or I might just be old fashioned and get an mot man to test it
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2012, 02:52:33 PM »
Well you say that Richard but the letter said dating letters from club etc will not be acceptable so your recognized authority may have no clout. If it the recognized authority I think you mean he has been on the phone to me this morning explaining that Glass's check book only gives chassis numbers from model change to model change so it looks like I'm stuck with MOT's although I'm pretty sire its a late 59 car.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2012, 05:14:30 PM »
what a mess i have
 1954 brutsch first registered 1961
 1949 bond logbook says 2007
1965 bond registered 2004
the others appear correct, in all instances i have full supporting evidence but we will see if it counts

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2012, 06:00:26 PM »
oh verily you are pretty sire - who sayeth you not ?    ( ref: your last line bob )

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2012, 07:19:11 PM »
Thats what my wife tells me! Well she did in 1975 anyway!

john p

• Occasional
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2012, 08:47:21 PM »
Has anyone on here taxed their pre 1960 car yet with no mot .I have a 1959 Manhurin scooter that i got ready for mot in the spring and then broke down on way to mot station,by the time i fixed it i had heard of the exemption so left it in garage till now.I printed off v112 form for exemption that the information mentions but unless i have missed the point i can see nothing on it about the vehicle being pre 1960 .Iam sure someone on here can enlighten me.