Author Topic: Pre-1960 vehicles exempted from MoT  (Read 42462 times)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Pre-1960 vehicles exempted from MoT
« on: May 21, 2012, 08:25:56 PM »
Just found this on Yahoo! Cars.

Anyone know anything more?

CLASSIC and historic vehicles are to be exempted from the annual MoT test, the Government announced today.

From November 18 this year, owners of vehicles manufactured before 1960 will not have to have to take them in for an MoT, Roads Minister Mike Penning said.

Pre-1960 licensed vehicles make up about 0.6% of the total number of licensed vehicles in Britain, but are involved in just 0.03% of road casualties and accidents.

Mr Penning said: "We are committed to cutting out red tape which costs motorists money without providing significant overall benefits.

"Owners of classic cars and motorbikes tend to be enthusiasts who maintain their vehicles well - they don't need to be told to look after them, they're out there in all weathers checking the condition of the engine, tyres and bodywork."

He added: "Owners of classic vehicles will still be legally required to ensure that they are safe and in a proper condition to be on the road, but scrapping the MoT test for these vehicles will save motorists money."

The decision follows a campaign by the All-Party Parliamentary Historic Vehicles Group, led by East Yorkshire MP Greg Knight, its chairman.

Mr Knight said today: "I am delighted by this announcement. Accidents involving historic vehicles are extremely rare and the majority of owners are meticulous in keeping their vehicles in good condition. Having to have an annual MoT test for a vehicle which may only travel a few hundred miles in a year was costly and absurd."

AA president Edmund King said: "Cutting the red tape of an MoT requirement for classic pre-1960 cars is a victory for common sense."
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Pre-1960 vehicles exempted from MoT
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:34:47 PM »
been talked about for a bit but i hadnt seen the announcement . thanks rob
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 08:49:20 PM »
Blast! Two of my cars are 1960!  I dont suppose it means 1960 and before?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 08:56:56 PM »
Interesting news, cheers Rob.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 09:43:11 PM »
Michael Penning was in my class at school - Just thought I would mention it.
He was a bit of a rough diamond, wanted to be in the Royal Marines, perhaps he was? I knew he would come good in the end.  Cheers to Mike Penning.

I need to sell the numberplate on my Velocette LE (very poor condition) but I need an MOT first.......not any more?  SLK 479 could be up for grabs £££££££

Now what are the insurance companies going to do - old cars with no control over maintenance and roadworthiness, must be worth a few more quid on the policy.

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 09:53:34 PM »
I would not think it will make a lot of difference on the insurances we drive vintage tractors on various road runs no MOT on these
Interesting point on the number plate especially if they do away with the local offices for inspection of the vehicle my minitruck was robbed by swapping the i.d. plate however wIll they make it like the tractors and you cannot transfer the number because no M.O.T
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 10:23:10 PM »
Number one on my list - Get an MOT on the Velocette!

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 11:03:28 PM »
All the reports I have read say this will apply to vehicles "manifactured" before 1960, say ones car was registered early in 1960 this would mean that it was most likely made in 1959>. If this could be proven via records of the chassis number etc I wonder if you could still claim exemption?

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 11:11:40 PM »
Blast! Two of my cars are 1960!  I dont suppose it means 1960 and before?
I can't find an offical release on the policy, but the consultation and the EU regulations state "manufactured before 1st January 1960".

http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2011-27
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 11:39:07 PM »
Interesting. I just checked my Nobels V5 and that said 1959 so that ones off the hook. If I can find an Isetta that has a chassis number that is below 321692 and registered in late 59 It will prove that mine was manifactured also in 59. Time to consult the Isetta owners club.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 12:25:00 AM »
 ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 09:31:46 AM »
I will believe it when I see an official document. Cannot help thinking there is a sting in the tail on this. However my diesel Borgward Isobella Van looks a much more practical prospect!  Free MOT, tax and not effected by rubbish petrol. It does over 50 to the gallon. Not interested in driving most of the 1960 stuff and younger, so Schmitts and stuff OK. I think only the Saab is going to come a cropper on this. Also possibly my Pod. With trike MOTs tricky it will be a great help not top need an MOT.
It could distort the market a bit. I think my Magnette ZB might gain a bit being '58.

AS to insurers it is ideal for them to cop out of a claim. They will insert a paragraph insisting on regular maintenance and reserve the right to proof. In the event of an accident of fault to the covered car they could then inspect the condition and site a defect as a reason to mitigate their loss. Watch out and read your policy on this law being changed!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 11:22:49 AM »
Yes it all sounds too simple and good to be true. I did read that you would still be able to voluntarily have your pre 1960 car MOT tested and maybe this is what some insurers will require?

Scootacar_mk1

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 01:24:15 PM »
For car tax a "historic vehicle" is classed as being one made pre 1 Jan 1973, yet for the MOT they are using 1960.
Surely the two should tie up?!

Cream Mk1 Scootacar

john p

• Occasional
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 02:09:44 PM »
I would imagine with pre 1960 cars being at least 52 years old they assume they have been looked after ,making it as late as 1973 would possibly mean loads of not so well maintained vehicles.Now to get that austin seven thats been laid up 30years dragged out of the shed ready to hit the highway in november,no brakes ? they were not that good anyway.