Author Topic: AC Invacar spares  (Read 30321 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: AC Invacar spares
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
I have found that most of them are timed wrong so far. Once you get the old pensil down the bore and approximate timing within guidelines they are smooth. Then to find the sweet spot ones the tubes are cleaned out. A stripped car will be faster and more stable so great fun to be had.

The engineless shell is on eBay now should you actually have interest. I expect you have your hands full, though. I have suggested a buyer might approach you for parts if they are to go the original route without supplying contact info.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2012, 01:30:45 PM »
I have found that most of them are timed wrong so far. Once you get the old pensil down the bore and approximate timing within guidelines they are smooth. Then to find the sweet spot ones the tubes are cleaned out. A stripped car will be faster and more stable so great fun to be had.

The engineless shell is on eBay now should you actually have interest. I expect you have your hands full, though. I have suggested a buyer might approach you for parts if they are to go the original route without supplying contact info.

Thanks Al.  I have interest but obviously no money.  If it doesn't go, I will make you an offer.........It would be nice to reunite a body and soul and have another good Invacar on the road.
If someone else buys it, my spares are available.  Door rubbers are going fast so best be quick!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2012, 07:17:01 AM »
Yes I heard about the door rubbers. Depending what happens in my life I might be able to store the real inert spares for the future but I cannot yet make that commitment.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2012, 10:14:13 AM »
dont know door rubbers but they must be VERY odd if theres a problem getting them surely
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Matt1

• Just Starting
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 04:34:28 PM »
Hi Barry,
I'm after some spares if you have them and are interested in selling. The main thing is a dashboard as mine is broken.
Thanks
 Matt

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2012, 06:04:58 PM »
Only too happy to help with spares.
Two cars were stacked on top of each other and not much thought was been given to preservation.  I am pretty sure that only one dash may be good.  I will have a look and take a photo.
How bad is yours?
Do you have a large dia speedo (hangs out of the bottom of the dash) or small one?

Will compile a list of spares but I need to talk to Stuart to see if there is a spares list tying up part numbers  (STY xxx) with descriptions.  I can work most things our - Hub-cap for instance!  but some of the bags of new bushes & pins are a bit hard to identify.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2012, 07:02:34 AM »
I am in the market for a large speedo if there is one. Perhaps a trip over with Root and an ID parade might be in order. Someone has a winning bid on the engineless car so he presumably will be after a load of stuff. It could be that your investment will return its cost reasonably quickly.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2012, 12:12:54 PM »
don't know door rubbers but they must be VERY odd if theres a problem getting them surely

It's not so much an awkward section, just crumby design & fitting. Most other cars have the rubbers clipped round a flange or something but the Model 70 just has it glued practically flush with the bodywork. After 30-40 years of doors, feet, legs, wheelchairs & shopping etc being dragged over them & often ill-fitting doors, most rubbers are somewhat the worst for wear nowadays.

Moving on, I've just these past few moments dug up my Model 70 parts list from the depths of the filing system. It does indeed link up the STY numbers with parts descriptions, so that'll be through the photocopier & on its way to you Barry hopefully in the next couple of days but we've got another big rally looming up here from Thursday til Monday, so if you don'tl get it this week, it'll arrive early next week...

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2012, 10:00:26 PM »
I am in the market for a large speedo if there is one. Perhaps a trip over with Root and an ID parade might be in order. Someone has a winning bid on the engineless car so he presumably will be after a load of stuff. It could be that your investment will return its cost reasonably quickly.

It is a shame someone has put a bid in for your trashed Invacar Al.  We could have done a swap for the speedo!
How much is an Invacar body worth?  How much is a speedo worth - I suppose eBay is the only way to find out.
Great news from Stuart on the parts list.  I will be able to catalogue the spares and start to sell a few to the remaining Model 70 enthusiasts.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2012, 10:04:03 PM »
don't know door rubbers but they must be VERY odd if theres a problem getting them surely

It's not so much an awkward section, just crumby design & fitting. Most other cars have the rubbers clipped round a flange or something but the Model 70 just has it glued practically flush with the bodywork. After 30-40 years of doors, feet, legs, wheelchairs & shopping etc being dragged over them & often ill-fitting doors, most rubbers are somewhat the worst for wear nowadays.

Moving on, I've just these past few moments dug up my Model 70 parts list from the depths of the filing system. It does indeed link up the STY numbers with parts descriptions, so that'll be through the photocopier & on its way to you Barry hopefully in the next couple of days but we've got another big rally looming up here from Thursday til Monday, so if you don'tl get it this week, it'll arrive early next week...

Great news about the parts list Stuart.
I wonder what the best glue is to stick the rubber trim on?  The door trim that I have is brand new and will really make my running car look a lot better.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2012, 11:15:21 AM »
[  How much is a speedo worth - I suppose eBay is the only way to find out.

Hmm. An advert to buy big or little sized used Invalid Speedos during the Olympics might bring in some fashion conscious amputees and the odd pervert (not sure what a standard pervert is but odd ones are more dangerous, I think).

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2012, 01:55:38 PM »
[  How much is a speedo worth - I suppose eBay is the only way to find out.

Hmm. An advert to buy big or little sized used Invalid Speedos during the Olympics might bring in some fashion conscious amputees and the odd pervert (not sure what a standard pervert is but odd ones are more dangerous, I think).

You are on form today Al

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
Do I get a medal, kew Muttley laughing noises.

A noise mimicked by an ill tuned Type 70. The next one in the garage now does not do this and runs pretty sweetly, again needing some use to clear out the muck accumulated in the pipes to run clean for fine tuning. Again the timing was some 4 mm off. I am beginning to think there is something strange going on here. Were they deliberately tuned to not perform to their fullest? The edited manual from Stuart provides two differing values of tune. Anyway this one is done and only needs a polish up before it goes to its new home. The last car is to come round to the workshop today and looks to be sold leaving me my one example to keep, which was to have been Stuarts originally and the best of the bunch for condition, though there is an issue with the starting assembly. Be interesting to see where this two are timed to.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2012, 09:14:03 AM »
So what is your recommendation for the timing position AL.  I will have a look at my four cars and see how they are set-up.
One of the scrap cars is definitely smooth and responsive.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2012, 08:09:48 PM »
I have found that most of them are timed wrong so far. Once you get the old pensil down the bore and approximate timing within guidelines they are smooth. Then to find the sweet spot ones the tubes are cleaned out.

Yep, this one was timed to fire at top dead centre and had one HT cable joint installed with the incorrect length of insert in the cap. No wonder it run like a dump truck. After all issues it now runs really smoothly and I actually prefer the hand throttle installed on this one over the twist grip normally fitted. It also goes considerably faster than the other four I have got running. Interesting, as it has a different oil filter and filler arrangement and the starter has to work harder to turn it over, so it might be a 'bigger' engine as rumoured to be found occasionally.