Author Topic: Antikythera Mechanism...Bob Purton  (Read 11374 times)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: Antikythera Mechanism...Bob Purton
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 02:58:43 PM »
Burman steering box.
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 03:28:36 PM »
Well I was told it was the same as use in a Standard 8 which is more than likely a Burman! Another example of two answers, both true seen from different perspectives. ;)  I was also told by somebody that it was a standard 8 one used in a Tourette, can you confirm that Rob?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
Sorry Bob, I should have clarified better! As you say, the Arab/Islam world did indeed save a great deal of ancient wisdom, and added much of their own to it, especially in science and mathematics, and similarly there were some Christian monasteries which DID preserve ancient wisdom, and we are all indebted to them for the accumulated wisdom. However in both of those religions there were less moderate sub-dvisions, and it was these factions of both religions which did a lot of damage. Judaism too has much to answer for over the years. On balance Christianity probably was the worst offender, particularly Catholicism. Interestingly the extreme wings of all 3 main religions of the world are still a threat today, even though they are all founded on many of the same events, people and deities!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »
no idea bob , about tourette , but the burman/ standard 8 box is supposed to be that used in the Gordon. so presumably it was available . better ask herr bruetsches surviving relatives eh ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »
Richard, I wont dignify that with a response! Weren't Gordons built out of left over Rayliegh Safety seven parts? I read it on the Internet so it must be true! ;)

Marcus, we will continue the discussion at the Bromley Pageant, Mike can cover his ears!  :D

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 10:16:20 PM »
I was also told by somebody that it was a standard 8 one used in a Tourette, can you confirm that Rob?

No.  Never bothered to find out what it came from as it was working and over 35 years ago. Although, stirring up what is supposed to be my brain, I think it may have had Ford on the casting. Or was it on the Gordon?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:24:20 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2012, 10:38:56 AM »
Sorry Bob, I should have clarified better! As you say, the Arab/Islam world did indeed save a great deal of ancient wisdom, and added much of their own to it, especially in science and mathematics, and similarly there were some Christian monasteries which DID preserve ancient wisdom, and we are all indebted to them for the accumulated wisdom. However in both of those religions there were less moderate sub-dvisions, and it was these factions of both religions which did a lot of damage. Judaism too has much to answer for over the years. On balance Christianity probably was the worst offender, particularly Catholicism. Interestingly the extreme wings of all 3 main religions of the world are still a threat today, even though they are all founded on many of the same events, people and deities!

A nutter is a nutter, they are just a lot more dangerous if they think they own a unique route to God as that gives them an excuse to place themselves in a privileged position.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2012, 10:11:05 PM »
Hi Barry, not quite sure what point you a making here but as the piece starts with this comment "Note - The origin, authenticity and accuracy of these quotes in both translation and transliteration are unknown. - ed"  Thats all I need to know! The Internet is full of this kind of stuff.  If you want to continue this discussion lets do so off forum.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2012, 09:49:09 AM »
The early MEC magazines seem to be a bit like the Dead Sea Scrolls. Always just out of reach.

What about the rusty version of the Dead Sea Rolls. Records show that Modern Rolls are really not the same as the original, with a completely different belief system. Something should be done!

Pity the computer was not ready to function as it would have shown the Transit of Venus, sponsored by Ford, the LDV Luton Van of Saturn and the Black Marriah of Uranus after a bit of public indecency with the Moon.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs