Author Topic: RUMCAR NEWS 113  (Read 16177 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: RUMCAR NEWS 113
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 07:01:12 PM »
sidevalve as far as i got  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 08:06:45 PM »
Just read this on Wikipedia

Rovin Type D2
Rovin D2 (1949)It is not clear whether the D1 was ever sold in significant numbers, but production of the Rovin D2 started in 1947 at the company's newly acquired plant at Saint-Denis. The car still qualified (just) for the 2CV fiscal horse power category, but the engine was now a flat twin 423 cc four stroke water cooled unit.

It certianly looks like a flat twin. Maybe I have misunderstood what Chris is saying in his article.
Come on Chris where are you when we need you?

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 09:43:01 PM »
Dear Bob

I have always said that Rovin produced a hoizontal engine, as I have seen one with my own eyes in France 2009. What I have said in my article is that both Clua and Rovin in France did build their own HO engines and to do this they they had to develop their own design,  but the design was not a success.

Having re read my text I can see that I have precied it down too much and it does give the impression that the engines were only experimental, when in reality they did go into production, but where never used in any other makes or sizes. I have no idea of the numbers of either of these engines, but I am sure somebody will have this or a good estimate.

I suppose you want a written correction in the next issue of RCN? Thats what comes of proof reading your own text.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar news

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 10:06:43 PM »
Dear Bob

After some research it appears there were approx 2700  Rovin HO engines in two sizes 425 cc  (1500) and 462 cc (1200). Basically the same engine but with a slightly different bore. The engines were indeed side valve and water cooled. and like the rest of the car well designed and constructed.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 10:10:12 PM »
with great ART DECO styling  :) oops there i go bob  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 10:52:46 PM »
No big point being made here Chris but re-reading the text it definitely gives the impression that the De Rovin brothers gave up in an attempt to produce there own flat twin. If you had to chop the text down at some point I can see how this happened. I thoroughly enjoyed the article though and am still trying to get my head around how that two pistons in one cylinder two stroke engine works! Amazing! I wouldn't say a correction was warranted but maybe a clarification at some point as in the future RCN will be looked upon as an accurate reference work and eliminating any ambiguity would only be to your credit. Its up to you as you are the editor. Keep up the good work Chris, it is a great issue.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 08:39:05 AM »
i dont know what it feels like i am only getting it in 2D

anyhow what does wiltshire feel like ? a bit like blancmange ?

Certainly soft, not like Flint.

Are you thinking of Shaftsbury and Hovis amongst others? Could be that bakers basket. Clearly there are Baptists about but not many good clues. Still I cannot comment as I do not receive a copy until I get myself sorted out. Nice presentation quality though, well done.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 11:57:18 AM »
Maybe this will help?  http://www.fregate.info/article-34713266.html

The third photo shows a seriously clever and simple design of folding side window that could be copied on a modern microcar.  OK, you have to stop and open the door to open the window, but it does give the option of fully open or fully closed.  And no frame, mechanism, etc.