Author Topic: Early ISO prototypes  (Read 8624 times)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Early ISO prototypes
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 07:10:15 PM »
i don't get german but thats a Hoffman not an Iso - another can of worms  :)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 07:12:20 PM »
Wow, I have not seen these pics of the Hoffmann Autokabine before. Thanks to BMW it never made it into production.
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:34:28 PM »
i don't get german but thats a Hoffman not an Iso - another can of worms  :)

Even if it says Hoffman in big letters, I still said ISO...

Still, great piece of history for the Isetta!
Mopeds:

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:29:19 PM »
Here is the translation
The bicycle manufacturer Jakob Oswald Hoffmann from Lintorf near Düsseldorf had 1949 built the Italian motor scooter Vespa for Germany License and thus gained overnight wealth, fame and market presence. In the spring of 1954, he violently therefore tried to get the Germany license for the Italian ISO Isetta. Because negotiated but was already ISO with BMW, Hoffmann for the construction of the Penguin small car interested. However, he remained in the prototype stage. Therefore, Hoffmann built an other Isetta without further ADO. Be mobile, which he "Auto cab 250" baptized, had a similar shape, but instead of the front door side doors, because Hoffmann could not experience bring, whether the front door to the Isetta was patented, but it was assumed. His car had two child seats in the rear next to the front seat. In its standard version, Hoffmann's car had a rear-stopped, right side door and a fabric hood, in a planned luxury version, it should be even two side doors. Also a proper dashboard was possible thanks to the stationary front. In contrast to the ISO Isetta, the Hoffmann cabin offered the coveted changed for the four-speed gearbox and a longer-running rear with cooling air inlet under the rear window. The Hoffmann auto cabin had the following dimensions: 2.28 x 1.39 x 1.35 m. wheelbase 1.65 m (ISO / BMW Isetta 1.50 m). Track width front 1.22 m, rear 0, 52 m. empty weight 350 kg. The wheels were hanging in front on deferred Längsschwingarmen, the two closely related together rear wheels on a small axle with Halbelliptikfedern. The rear wheels were not fully streamlined, the headlights were deep. The "Hoffmann-car-cab 250" wore the cylinder-four-stroke Boxer engine developed in Lintorf 298 displacement and 18.5 HP at 5400 RPM which was used also in the Hoffmann motorcycle Governor with cardan shaft in the rear cc. In the cab, the engine was centrally before the two rear wheels, which were together with a rail gauge of 520 mm. The cabin was specified with a top speed of 85 km/h and a consumption of 3.8 l / 100 km.Already on 2 June 1954, while BMW was still the production preparations for the Isetta, Hoffmann showed a prototype of his cabin of the public. August 1, 1954 BMW and ISO submitted together a lawsuit against Hoffmann at the District Court of Munich. It was based on the passage "slavish imitation" and utility model rights. However, began in Lintorf late August / early September 1954 the delivery of the first cabins of all 113 examples were built until February 1955.As the Vespa sales had fallen drastically, Hoffmann felt forced to build the cabin to do so. For Jakob Oswald Hoffmann it was even thicker. The Piaggio works had cancelled the Vespa license him, because he had made improvements on their own. As a result, Hoffmann's house bank announced all loans. At the end of 1954, Hoffmann works closed their doors, even before the Isetta process to an end was. BMW got Hoffmann to 20 percent to 80 percent right. BMW and Hoffmann parted amicably, he got even a BMW 501 V8 to leave to the gift. His workers but got their reward no longer, they then plundered the factory. The receiver had more cabins out of existing parts. A whole series of 350 kg cabins were sold in 1956 to rock-bottom prices in the surrounding area of Düsseldorf.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 09:07:47 PM »
where DID they all go ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »
Indeed. There must have been a either a flaw in the mechanics/design or they were good enough to be used till they wore out. Its a sort of Neanderthal Isetta. Related, part of the history, just missed to actually see  a functioning one but not in the main series of links that gave us our Brighton Isetta so does it matter? 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 05:06:20 PM »
Dear Friends

It is said that after BMW won the court case for design infringement and the banks forclosed on Hoffman, BMW quietly purchased each car that was sold and scrapped them. How true this is I do not know. But if BMW had won the case and the design rights reverted to BMW, they may not have wanted any warranty claims for a design they had no control over Lancia did the same thing with the Beta after the problems they had with rusting.

By the looks of the evidence the Hoffman was a better vehicle than the BMW Isetta. But I am not so sure about the engine which had a few quality related problems.

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 05:19:48 PM »
VEEEERY INTERESTING BUT ........

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 05:57:53 PM »
Dear Friends

It is said that after BMW won the court case for design infringement and the banks forclosed on Hoffman, BMW quietly purchased each car that was sold and scrapped them.

Chris Thomas

I'm sure I've read exactly the same thing somewhere (I thought it was in Tony's book, but it isn't). Have to have another look.

Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 05:59:57 PM »
Dear Friends

It is said that after BMW won the court case for design infringement and the banks forclosed on Hoffman, BMW quietly purchased each car that was sold and scrapped them. How true this is I do not know. But if BMW had won the case and the design rights reverted to BMW, they may not have wanted any warranty claims for a design they had no control over Lancia did the same thing with the Beta after the problems they had with rusting.

By the looks of the evidence the Hoffman was a better vehicle than the BMW Isetta. But I am not so sure about the engine which had a few quality related problems.

Chris Thomas

Didn't know there were any problems with copyright and BMW, I thought they bought the rights!!!

JP
Mopeds:

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 06:29:16 PM »
Dear Jonathan

Unless you see the terms of the court case settlement it would be imposible to know what was the final grounds and conditions on which the case was won or lost. It may be that the costs that BMW presented to the court included buying up the cars that had been sold already.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 06:33:19 PM »
Dear Malcolm Parker ( Rusty Chrome)

I think it may have been Wikipedia!!!!!

Chris Thomas

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
No, I think it might have been this Spanish site

http://www.autopasion18.com/HISTORIA-HOFFMANN%20%28Hoffmann-Werke%29.htm
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 08:10:14 AM »
In the dim dusty mists of time I can recall the suggestion that BMW actively removed the Hoffman production being mentioned in the early '80's. That was probably via the Isetta Gazetta. Stuart, time to get your archive out.

BMW were pretty aggressive over the Isetta as they threatened to sue Ernst Heinkel over his car, basically because of the front opening door. This was suggested as one reason he choose not to invest in a further redevelopment of the car but to sell of the two production lines to Ireland and the Argentine tying both into buying the engines which he continued to manufacturer and which carried a good margin for his company for a simpler product than a whole car plus marketing initiative. In doing this car production was shifted outside Germany and made any threat of action by BMW very much more difficult. Besides Heinkel was allowed to restore his primary business, which was aero engineering so his interest was concentrated elsewhere.

There just has to be a Hoffman somewhere though.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs