Author Topic: period photo  (Read 22068 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
period photo
« on: June 23, 2012, 06:30:51 PM »
bit quiet on forum - is there anything we can glean from this period road test photo ? perhaps not
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: period photo
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 08:45:47 PM »
I think it is in the Brooklands Gold Portfolio book on the Isetta. It was in a motoring magazine's article comparing the cars for MPG and general qualities. Brooklands Books also did one on Messerschmitts and another on Morgan 3 wheelers, and I have 'em all!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:39:06 PM »
Is that a trade plate on the Gordon?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:41:43 PM »
hmmm I recognise the car on the right...
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:33:29 PM »
Apart from the bubble and possibly the Bond the other three have more or less slipped into obscurity the three to the left are all 55 registration the Gorden is unusual and the JARC number keeps coming up on various models do any of these cars still exist
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 12:12:13 AM »
if you subscribe to RUM magazine you couldnt say the Petite on the left is obscure  :) :)or indeed the Gordon with the trade plates . the bubble window Isetta isnt as common as sliding window models . i always get Gills , Astra's and Jarcs mixed up without reference books but either way these are RUM cars
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 08:29:46 AM »
There is a suggestion of the Isetta having some additional wheel trims behind the clip on cap.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 09:38:04 AM »
Outside the microcar people how many could name four of the five I have never seen a Gordon
The Isetta is an early BMW one with the long headlight nacelles
I shall obviously have to subscribe to the RUM magazine to read more
Good photo lots of interest
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 09:39:49 AM by issysuy »

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 12:21:24 PM »
Dear Richard

Looking at the building it looks like the back of a pub or hotel. The tiles are Sussex hand made plain tiles, so could well be in Sussex. I would guess somewhere like Crowborough.

Chris Thomas

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 12:31:36 PM »
i have been thinking that possibly the rarest and most endangered thing in the future may in fact be the English country pub ! around here they are becoming vets , indian restaurants and private houses  :(
thanks chris amazing what we see in the pictures

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
Outside the microcar people how many could name four of the five I have never seen a Gordon
The Isetta is an early BMW one with the long headlight nacelles
I shall obviously have to subscribe to the RUM magazine to read more
Good photo lots of interest

Jean has one in the collection. It was beautifully restored by Mr Dobie of this forum.

In the road review the car reviewed was called a Jarc little Horse, later re-named as the Astra.

Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 01:21:22 PM »
I know they are about but most microcars were made in small quantities and 20 years ago were not mentioned I have had an interest for 40 years after all its not long ago BMW admitted to the ISETTA when it became collectable The JARC is probarly the most obscure
Nice to know somebody thought they were wotrh saving

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »
CONFUSION REIGNS  ;)Jean has a Gordon in the collection - marcus perhaps not clear . i don't think a Jarc exists they probably made a handful only . tony marshall showed a pic of a rolling chassis that may still survive - does it ?

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 10:14:48 PM »
Yes Richard, the Jarc rolling chassis still survives, it is currently hiding in one of our sheds at the farm.  The same chassis was used later on the Astra Van (I hasten to add micro van) and then after that on the Gill Getabout a little saloon car. There are two Astra vans on the Register, one which is in very poor condition is in the hands of Tony M the other one which has been restored  has changed hands several times in recent years lastly in an auction, sadly none of the successive owners have notified us where it is.  Alastair has many vehicles on the Register now marked owner unknown.
Once a vehicle is on the Register it is there for its life span and successive owners are supposed to let us know when it changes hands but they so often fail to do so and we lose trace of the vehicle.  The whole idea when I set up the Register 30 odd years ago, was to keep track of the unusual vehicles to make sure they didn't get destroyed because no one knew what they were.  There was no ulterior motive, we just wanted to make sure they were preserved and cared for and to build up a picture about each marque. You fellow followers of the this Forum can help us by being our eyes and ears, should you see, hear of or acquire any unusual microcar please, please let Alastair know with as much detail as possible, then may be we can trace some of the cars that have dropped under the radar or even find some as yet unknown gem that is waiting to be cherished.  If you enjoy and are interested in the preservation of these unusual little beasts please, please help us keep the Register updated  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »
Yes Richard, the Jarc rolling chassis still survives, it is currently hiding in one of our sheds at the farm.  The same chassis was used later on the Astra Van (I hasten to add micro van) and then after that on the Gill Getabout a little saloon car. There are two Astra vans on the Register, one which is in very poor condition is in the hands of Tony M the other one which has been restored  has changed hands several times in recent years lastly in an auction, sadly none of the successive owners have notified us where it is.  Alastair has many vehicles on the Register now marked owner unknown.
Once a vehicle is on the Register it is there for its life span and successive owners are supposed to let us know when it changes hands but they so often fail to do so and we lose trace of the vehicle.  The whole idea when I set up the Register 30 odd years ago, was to keep track of the unusual vehicles to make sure they didn't get destroyed because no one knew what they were.  There was no ulterior motive, we just wanted to make sure they were preserved and cared for and to build up a picture about each marque. You fellow followers of the this Forum can help us by being our eyes and ears, should you see, hear of or acquire any unusual microcar please, please let Alastair know with as much detail as possible, then may be we can trace some of the cars that have dropped under the radar or even find some as yet unknown gem that is waiting to be cherished.  If you enjoy and are interested in the preservation of these unusual little beasts please, please help us keep the Register updated  Jean

... I think I will make my dad register his cars... Hardly any of his are "RUM'd"!

All of mine are, I think :P (not sure about the schmitt)

JP
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi