Author Topic: period photo  (Read 22252 times)

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
Re: period photo
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 10:22:56 PM »
Thats a great reply from Jean so glad that these obscure micros still exist
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

wilksie

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 08:34:24 PM »
do any of these cars still exist

Interestingly, 15 FMU was a 1956 road test Isetta and 4 FMU is a 1955 bubble last seen in Surrey. I have no records of 14 FMU.
Lloyd LP400
"If you are mad, this is your car."

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 09:26:04 PM »
I4FMU and 15FMU  are both in the brooklands book both 1956 tests August 55 registrations all are early cars
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 10:21:44 PM by issysuy »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 09:47:57 PM »
lets date all the models then - earliest possible for each - i know the aprox date of the photo i.e. season and year - whats your best bet ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 10:20:21 PM »
Alright here goes
AC is a Surry Reg  June 55 that month
Bond is early September 55 Preston CBC
iSETTA is Middlesex August 55
Gordon trade plate?
JARC is London April 54

We know the last had been rebodied at least once The Isetta turns up in a road test February 56
I would say winter 55

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 11:50:19 PM »
The AC was in a road test in September 55 and the JARC was advertised around that time as well. Motorcycle show was in November but the Isetta and JARC were banned as four wheelers so they were probably at the motor show the previous month, however the photo looks more like spring than autumn/winter so how about early March 1956?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2012, 09:49:39 AM »
Dear Malcolm

I would agree with you that it would be Feb or March. By the angle of the sun it would be mid afternoon, just after last orders at Lunchtime. Looking at the foot prints I would say that three of the drivers were wearing Brogues and Duffle coats and all smoked fags.

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2012, 11:02:28 AM »
There is more to a Honda Insight than meets the eye!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2012, 12:10:10 PM »
Dear Malcolm

I would agree with you that it would be Feb or March. By the angle of the sun it would be mid afternoon, just after last orders at Lunchtime. Looking at the foot prints I would say that three of the drivers were wearing Brogues and Duffle coats and all smoked fags.

Chris Thomas
I think you'll find the left-handed piano player was not the one in the Gordon. Though protected by a layer of greaseproof paper, his cheese and onion sandwich would have meant curtains in a vehicle with such imperspicuous directional composure. The trade plates are more likely to have been favoured by someone with a light brown corduroy jacket with a faux fur collar smoking Three Nuns Empire Blend in a lightly used Westminster briar, unless it was a tuesday.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2012, 12:15:58 PM »
Dear Malcolm

Chris Thomas
I think you'll find the left-handed piano player was not the one in the Gordon. Though protected by a layer of greaseproof paper, his cheese and onion sandwich would have meant curtains in a vehicle with such imperspicuous directional composure. The trade plates are more likely to have been favoured by someone with a light brown corduroy jacket with a faux fur collar smoking Three Nuns Empire Blend in a lightly used Westminster briar, unless it was a tuesday.

Ah, the power of deductive reasoning. It's elementary, my dear Watson.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 01:08:40 PM »
do any of these cars still exist

Interestingly, 15 FMU was a 1956 road test Isetta and 4 FMU is a 1955 bubble last seen in Surrey. I have no records of 14 FMU.

14 FMU is pictured 5 times on pages 24 and 25 of the Isetta Gold portfolio. First registered in August 1955  Its has a 245cc 12 bhp engine and a  road test was published  in Autocar on feb 3rd 1956.

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 04:44:58 PM »
Whats the jerry can for in the corner of the picture

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 05:45:40 PM »
for those of you viewing in black and white - the wall behind the red and green cars is actually a pale yellow   ;) the door therein was  known as the LEMON ENTRY my dear Watson  ;D
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 05:58:02 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 09:55:42 PM »
hi marcus - i have never seen a copy of any comparative figures you couldnt post the resulting stats could you ? - or poss post me a copy ?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 10:05:28 PM »
the article said it was winter 1955 that could i suppose be january or december but i think the earlier .
i reckon they are:
 A Petite Mark II - 4 bars on grill, chrome strip on wing with Petite script,
A Bond Mark D deluxe , headlamp peaks ,wing chrome strips - is that a badge on the front grill ? a privately owned car then ?
An Isetta , German LHD has it an upright door handle ?
A Gordon Standard Model on trade plates similar to a roadtest i have - must look it up -different car - may be the same plates
Jarc pre mid 56 when it became he Astra , before it later became the Gill