Author Topic: Rumcars Open Day  (Read 41475 times)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
Re: Rumcars Open Day
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »
If I can get a mate to bring me, I hope to be there.

Progress on the Quickly is going slowly. Too many other jobs around the house and me helping my neighbours out. I must stop volunteering my services.

Some parts for me? That sounds interesting.

Oh, just spotted. What is a 1959 Bobette in your vehicle list?
Could ony find this in babies names. Bobette \b(o)-bette, bob(et)-te\ as a girl's name is a variant of Roberta (Old English, Old German), and the meaning of Bobette is "bright fame".

Just like You and Me.  ;D

Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 09:07:41 PM »
Hi Rob. I have a pair of brand new clutch plates for the quickly, yours if you want them. Let me know. Also a crankshaft/conrod assembly in usable nick.
Yes Robert does mean Bright fame, I'm neither unfortunately!  Infamous maybe! The Bobette is my name for [well actually Chris named it] a little something I have been working on over the past few years, I'm surprised you had to ask.

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 11:02:24 PM »
 Will the Bobette be on the lawn next to my "AC" next Sunday we wonder?   :)

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 11:19:09 PM »
Hi Rob. I have a pair of brand new clutch plates for the quickly, yours if you want them. Let me know. Also a crankshaft/conrod assembly in usable nick.
Yes Robert does mean Bright fame, I'm neither unfortunately!  Infamous maybe! The Bobette is my name for [well actually Chris named it] a little something I have been working on over the past few years, I'm surprised you had to ask.

Spares for a Quickly!. Yes please. Will have to make sure I am at School House Farm now.  ;D

Bobette.... I was teasing!  ;)

After reading the Cyclecar piece in Rumcar News, I have some ideas welling up in the old bonce about making my version of a cyclecar made with NSU Quickly parts. Ash wood chassis, wheels, easy. Two engines in tandem ?

« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:29:31 PM by Rob Dobie »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 07:48:31 AM »
I like the cycle car idea Rob, but remember that two engines are illegal for road use. 2 or more electrics are legal but not IC engines.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 08:43:18 AM »
Yes Robert does mean Bright fame, I'm neither unfortunately!  Infamous maybe! The Bobette is my name for [well actually Chris named it] a little something I have been working on over the past few years, I'm surprised you had to ask.

Spares for a Quickly!. Yes please. Will have to make sure I am at School House Farm now.  ;D

Bobette.... I was teasing!  ;)

After reading the Cyclecar piece in Rumcar News, I have some ideas welling up in the old bonce about making my version of a cyclecar made with NSU Quickly parts. Ash wood chassis, wheels, easy. Two engines in tandem ?

The Ashette. Except that is a large serving dish.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 09:12:07 AM »
I like the cycle car idea Rob, but remember that two engines are illegal for road use. 2 or more electrics are legal but not IC engines.

You could join two engines together and make a quickly twin, thats legal.
I was stuck behind a quickly on the coast 2 coast run last month for quite a few miles, only because I was lost and had to follow the guy, it was painfully slow, 25mph max, maybe it was not running right or the rider weighed a lot but I couldnt wait for the next batch of riders to fly past so that I could tuck in behind them. I think a quickly motor in a cycle car would barely move from the spot! ;D ;D  Best bolt some together excelsior fashion!

Right, Must remember to bring Robs quickly parts and Stuarts AC transmission box, Bobette will be along next year if all goes well.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 09:26:10 AM »
My nephew has still not got around to selling his Quickly, but it is up for grabs, PM me if interested!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 10:14:43 AM »

You could join two engines together and make a quickly twin, thats legal.

I think they need to be mechanically joined so they act as a single unit. So like the twin engined Saab 6 cylinder two stroke that drove through a shared gearbox. Whether a duplex gear drive with a chain to each engine would qualify I do not know but the engines would be forced to work together.

An interesting option would be a a pair of variomatic drives driving a single diff as that would allow each engine to run independently yet unify the power to a single drive. Only prob is the friction of the system would probably consume much of the power of of the extra unit unless the engines were of some reasonable capacity. The bonus is that one engine could be turned off when full power was not needed. That suggests that it might be suitable to run engines of differing size and character. So for town traffic jams a small unit but on the M25 the additional and larger unit can be used. For max power when being chased by the Police both engines can be run. Could be petrol and diesel to get round the London indigestion charge. The options are many and varied.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 07:05:30 PM »
This sort of thing?

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2012, 07:13:30 PM »
Good grief! I saw a photo on J Poll's Facebook page today of Chop Wales's Vespa 400 car with a "Hardly-Ableson" V 2 lump in it.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2012, 08:29:00 PM »
Those look like Ariel 3 engines in the middle?

Hmm, when is a microcar not a microcar? Mind you I liked the triple Deek one and I would argue it is more in keeping with an out of balance thumper. Each to his own.

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2012, 10:18:34 PM »
I know we are a bit off topic.

You have to remember also that these 50cc engines have 70cc racing kits available and are quite cheap.

https://www.1977mopeds.com/parts/Engine/CYL0/Cylinder-Kits/

Four in a line could give you over 8hp each at moderate tuning.  Easy to fit in a micro special.

http://turbotuning.gen.tr/resimgoster-124-4-silindirli-bir-mobilet-daha.html

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=191661304266252&set=a.191646454267737.39201.100002671505126&type=1&theater
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 10:23:33 PM by Isetta_Owner »

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 02:57:43 PM »
Is there anyone going to the Open Day who has a BSA Bantam that is in Mist Green livery? I have an unused 250ml tin of cellulose for spray gun use going free. Bought about 4 years ago from T&G in Milton Keynes. Just opened it to have a look and smell. Whey-hey! That took me back to 1976 when I was "mucking about" with my microcars. It was hot then just like today, phew! Great times, spraying in the hot open air without a mask on and smoking a cigarette at the same time. How did I survive?  ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 07:23:57 PM »
Rob, It just so happens I have a mist green D1 in my lock up as we speak!