Author Topic: Smashing Tourette  (Read 11549 times)

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
Smashing Tourette
« on: July 02, 2012, 11:02:29 PM »
As you don't see a great deal of material on Tourettes, I thought I'd share this little snippet I happened across the other day in an old copy of Motorcycle Mechanics magazine from August 1959 on the letters page.
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Smashing Tourette
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 08:01:33 AM »
Ouch! As fiberglass shatters it does effectively absorb the energy of the impact, but if the owner was in that at the time of the accident it could have been very serious.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 08:52:07 AM »
Hmmmm. Interesting and not at all surprising. Having been involved with the restoration of the Hammond collections Tourette body shell recently it is apparent that the quality of the fibre glassing on them was truly terrible! Although the definition of the moulding is very good its make up consists of plenty of fibre and hardly any resin! We first noticed something was wrong when Andrew decided to jet wash the inside of the shell and a big pile of loose fibreglass started to build up on his driveway, once repairs were carried out it was decided upon that large areas of the shell would be built up from the inside to give the somewhat droopy shell some rigidity. It must be remembered that this was very early days for fibreglass and this particular one must have been one of the first if not the very first as it featured in the road tests and adverts around the time of the cars launch.  There car also suffer damage early on, Paul Merkelt, son of the designer rolled it but an examination of the shell reveals little damage other than to the screen surround and one of the areas where this was attached.
I have to agree with the editor of this magazine, I remember my dad had a prang once in his Reliant and a large area of front wing came off in the road, he discreetly shoved it inside the car, got home and it was grafted back on and painted by tea time!

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »
Yep, Fibre Glass wasn't the best those days, but Nobels seem to have good bodies! My one, since its early, was originally split along the middle (in the mold) then bonded together. All of my fibreglass seems good for the age, nothing peeling aweay! however, some of thge parts, like the bonnet/nose neded to be a lot thicker, I can probably make the window fall out if I pushed on the bonnet/nose !
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 07:33:39 PM »
Yep, Fibre Glass wasn't the best those days...
Actually, old fibreglass is usually very good.  The older it is, usually, the higher were the manual skill levels used to make it and micros were made before isophthalic polyester resin came along so mouldings from that era tend to have an indefinite lifespan.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 09:36:18 PM »
Yep, Fibre Glass wasn't the best those days, but Nobels seem to have good bodies! My one, since its early, was originally split along the middle (in the mold) then bonded together. All of my fibreglass seems good for the age, nothing peeling aweay! however, some of thge parts, like the bonnet/nose neded to be a lot thicker, I can probably make the window fall out if I pushed on the bonnet/nose !

Look who made the main run of bodies for Nobs though. Quality engineering rather than a couple of geezers under the arches.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:44:12 PM »
The Smashing Tourettes were a backing band for someone. Not to be confused with the more modern Smashing Pumpkins even though the shape is very similar. I longed to have a Villiers powered pumpkin for Halloween. We had to make do with Scalextric turnips. Was it Buster Carr?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Garybond

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 10:05:17 PM »
I rolled a Bond Bug and it had similar damage Think it was repaired lost interest after I crashed it
1952 B minitruck 1957 Isetta bubble

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 09:21:10 AM »
Hehe well yesterday I continued stripping the paint of the door, and realised it has been repaired (for some reason they also covered the door lock handle hole!). The repairs were really bad though, even I could have done better at the time! He must have run out of resin, because the inside repair was only solid about 10% of the area, the rest was dry tissue, you could tell there has never been resion on it!

JP
Mopeds:

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
Must have been repaired by the same guy that made the Tourette bodies! Ho Ho!!

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 11:47:30 AM »
Must have been repaired by the same guy that made the Tourette bodies! Ho Ho!!

Hehe you never know!

EDIT: All of that was a repair, I didn't hack any original fibreglass off.

I first of all chizelled one end (I could see the "line/edge" of the repair) and it sort of came off on its own! It seems that I will have to completely remove the door skin and then re-bond it, because its already half split, and probably best to completely re-bond it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 12:20:33 PM by Jonathan Poll »
Mopeds:

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 06:32:06 PM »
My Nobels's bodies seem over all pretty good also.  However they could use some reinforcing around the apertures- particularly above and behind the door top's section of their roofs, and especially just ahead of their rear windows along st their sides, where it is particularly flexible and almost always marked by gel coat stress cracks.  I may use carbon fiber reinforcement here to keep the panel from getting too thick for the weatherstipping window seal.
Does any body know where i can get this and the door aperture weatherstripping for my Nobels?

The other problems with the Nobel's fiberglass is caused by their use of an extremely coarsely braided weave of fiberglass strips that they routinely used to bond panels together.  On the hinged spines of their doors, they apparently used preformed high density, and well finished pieces of flat molded fiberglass, but attached these to their convexly curved door skins with the aforementioned extremely coarse resin impregnated strips.  In this location, they apparently bonded almost well enough, but due to the extremely coarse weave, the bonding strips necessarily gaped the right angle intersection of these perpendicular surfaces, leaving a hollow under the arch of the bridged structure thus formed.  When repairing the inevitable door spine tragedies incurred by the combination of suicide doors, a wiggly latching mechanism, worn hinges, and a non elastic restraining strap- I take the opportunity to improve this structure.

Worst is where they used this same technique to attach the ply wood firewall and parcel tray to the body shell.  I have had some of these completely detach.

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 07:03:28 PM »
I am replying to my own post, as for some reason my computer won't let me see what i write beyond my immediately precedent post's last line of print.

Back to the detached firewall and parcel trays.  These failures appear to have been caused by the attempted bonding occurring too long after the original body shell cured/ without preparing the surface of the glass bodies adequately prior to attempting bonding.  The bonding to the wood was good, but to the glass body did not last.   Repairs here  were much more difficult to effect, as all the rough unfinished side of the fiberglass surfaces had been quite effectively impregnated witha thick coat of undercoating tar.  A full week end with an air powered needle scaler and full face shield while laying on my back got it ready to be re bonded with new glassfiber glass of more usual mesh fiber density after I properly prepped/ peeled off the original bonding strips.
Also one of my door skins appears to be sunken in towards a concove deflection, as opposed to a fully convex form.  This was probably due to it being pulled out of its original mold too soon.  Same problem on Porsche 917's, due to need for speed of production- although that's where the similarities end.

I also noticed that my Scootacar Mark one has an inadequately stiff upper edge to the rear windscreen molding- another opportunity for carbon fiber?   

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 07:20:38 PM »
A British Scootacar without a stiff upper lip? Something is wrong with the Empire!

Would the wood floor be bonded on during the assembly run after the raw bodyshells were delivered in bulk from construction? That would account for the cured GRP of the shell.

Cannot advise on composites but I can see the dilemma of thickness curing one problem to create another with trim/seal placement.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »
I don't know much about the carbon fibre, but yes, the wood is poorly attached to the body! I basicly hacked one of the rotten wooden panels of my car a while back, and it came of very easily, leaving a bad layer o fibreglass, but on the other hand, it could have been a repair by whoever bodged my car ;)
Mopeds: