Author Topic: Smashing Tourette  (Read 11551 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Smashing Tourette
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2012, 10:39:52 AM »
I didn't appreciate you could use carbon fibre on old fashion glass fibre, then again I cant think of any reason as to why not. Maybe Steven can share his expertise with us?
I guess its easy to criticize the standard of workmanship on these old car bodies but we have to remember that they are over 50 years old and that the use of fibre glass was very young when they were made. Also that they were made to a price and never intended to still be around 50/60 years later!

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2012, 12:16:46 PM »
I didn't appreciate you could use carbon fibre on old fashion glass fibre, then again I cant think of any reason as to why not. Maybe Steven can share his expertise with us?
I guess its easy to criticize the standard of workmanship on these old car bodies but we have to remember that they are over 50 years old and that the use of fibre glass was very young when they were made. Also that they were made to a price and never intended to still be around 50/60 years later!

Because of that, it would probably be best making them last even longer with carbon fibre :)

I will use fibreglass, because its a lot cheaper (especially for a kid!), and we already have some. Maybe not enough for my whole car, but still should cover mmost of the repairs!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2012, 01:31:49 PM »
I think one of the first experimental uses of carbon fibre was on the Lola T70
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2012, 02:38:56 PM »
What I meant was can you patch old fibreglass with carbon fibre?

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 04:06:37 PM »
What I meant was can you patch old fibreglass with carbon fibre?

Thanks to google :)
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you_bond_carbon_fiber_to_fiber_glass
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 07:04:00 PM »
Vacuum bagging can replace the need for compression and, squeeze out air bubbles and excess epoxy more effectively than autoclaving - especially if you are not in a hurry.  But if you are,  the judicious use of a heat lamp (don't melt the plastic bag), or at this time of year- just putting it out in the blazing sun while in compression from vacuum or fixture, can expedite matters appreciably.  The autoclaving in a vacuum chamber techniques are required by aerospace applications where preimpregnated sheets, preforms, and many different layers incorperating alternating orientations of filament placement as well as different types of materials are chosen relative to the intended stress load for the finished part.  In these applications virtually no cost or time constraints are imposed.  This type of work does produce some "magical" part properties that we are not attempting here.
Any way you employ them, just the use of carbon fiber and epoxy is still going to be stronger than polyester and fiberglass/ volume or weight.  It would be only worth considering employing additional other types of fibers such as kevlar, (to counter the extra brittleness that accompanies the extra stiffness) if you were not already overlaying some plenty flexible enough fiberglass.  As far as incompatibility of materials goes- here in earth quake country (Los Angeles) they routinely wrap concrete bridge support columns with a carbon fiber/ epoxy composite layers to add strength to these structures.  Alternatively S Glass enmeshed in epoxy is a cheaper but also stronger (but not as stiff) a combination of even grater compatibility.  At any rate, the cost difference is not that substantial if carbon is just used to reinforce local areas of need.

I did not know that the Lola T70 was one of the first uses of carbon fiber in a car. I just got up and checked my T600's composite door (laying on the leather couch next to the Trident)- it appears to be very well consolidated fiberglass  matt incorporating strategically shaped and placed foam/ tubing stiffeners.  Can't tell as well for most of the rest of the car, as it is obviously constructed from cloth, but I'm not willing to scrape the paint off it or perform a biopsy. 
I do remember, however that the GT 40 Mark 2's used carbon fiber in select areas to reinforce their fiberglass bodies. Also of note is the fact that Lola had a lot to do with the developement of the GT 40- so such a claim is at least reasonable.   Could be worthwhile investigating how they accomplished this.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 11:31:46 PM »
"or at this time of year- just putting it out in the blazing sun "  If you had been in the UK for the last few months Steve you would realize just what alien a concept that is to us!! :D :D :D
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 11:33:21 PM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2012, 07:46:13 AM »
Indeed. Just returned from the Bath rally where the event was held on the clubhouse car park since the grass was either waterlogged or under water. Remain to be seen if the MOC Rally is un touched by the inevitable increase in water coming down from the headwaters in Wales after last weeks deluge. Word is that the site is really only under threat is the Stour is in flood. Could be interesting.

Top thing of note in talking to chums is that a complete NSW Fulda S4 has entered the country to join a collection. Many interesting cars for sale if you wanted to make private treaty to negotiate. Also offered three caches of spares by chaps clearing out. Not sure I want to invest in any of this though... I enjoyed this Bath event more than for many a year, could it be because all were forced into a small space and interaction rather than hiding in portable sheds waiting for something to happen?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs