Author Topic: Kent and East Sussex Railway  (Read 15066 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Kent and East Sussex Railway
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 06:23:24 PM »
 ;D

I quite like genteel places.
Shame they don't like me!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 06:38:54 PM »
now moderator how will you deal with this  :D as your off topic topic has even gone off topic i.e. only i mention of the kent and essex in two pages !  :)
i am going to scupper the whole idea - we have been on wales and blaenau ffestiniog railway so what if i drag the subject onto micro's ? 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 06:41:37 PM »
try these for size
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 06:45:29 PM »
1 heading over the old Queensferry Bridge the English Welsh border
2 over Denbigh Moors
3 the picturesque run around the numerous , about 7  :), small reservoirs on the way to Blaenau
4 the slate mine above the steam railway

wots this ? micro's on an off topic topic - should be banned  :)

oddly enough we made the pilgrimage to Portmerion - now theres a place ! home to The Prisoner number 6 and all that - but i cant find the photo's . i will look again
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:53:36 PM by lightweight dickie »

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 06:52:43 PM »
Great photos there!

First though Wales IS on Topic, K&ESR have Gazelle (one of my favourite small locos) from the Shropshire and Montgomeryshire Light Railway, part of which was presumably in what is now classed as Wales. Or close enough!

I made a cigar tin model of a Trojan about 30 years ago, based on memory and on a poor quality B&W photocopy of a photo in a book in my local library, I think it was "Cars of the 50s and 60s", by Michael Sedgwick, and if memory serves the car shown was WSU 816, the one in your pics!

The model is not great, but I really had very little to go on, and absolutely no idea of the rear shape.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 06:57:29 PM »
WSU 816 was mine , where is it now ? the number was only issued in 1988 or so when i registered it . not in that book

got to say aren't Heinkel Trojans the best lookers of all of them ! ( i think my headlamp rims, horn and quarter bumpers were being chromed still , in the pics )

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2012, 07:07:20 PM »
Small world! Yes, I can just see the bolt holes for the 1/4 bumpers, and yes, I agree that H/Ts are very pretty cars, with TG 500s equally nice to me, despite my love of 3 wheelers!

here's a photo of the model I made, cigar tin for bodywork, wood chassis, paper clips for trim, plastic Biro caps for hub caps and tap washers for tyres:

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss260/Captain_Bubble/SDC10039.jpg
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 07:21:26 PM by marcus »

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2012, 07:43:57 PM »
frustratingly small pic though sounds great but cant really see it

marcus

• Prolific Poster

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 01:14:33 AM »
Loads to do in North Wales. Just the weather can be, well, Welsh. However If your British you do not let that spoil things. Roman Steps in a gale is an experience to earn you leek and potato soup with crusty farmhouse bread by a roaring fire. Shame that it is the holiday cottage next door but, Hey ho.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 08:21:34 AM »
Roman Steps would be impossible for Squeak with her shot knees. Yup, weather is a constant issue in Wales! I would also like to hitch a ride on that canal aqueduct with no fence or wall between you and a fine fall. Is it Llangollen?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 10:21:40 AM »
The Pontcysyllte Aquaduct goes the across Dee to Trevor so not that far up the valley. And of course there is a steam preservation line there too.

I was going to say the Precipice Walk but that needs knees as well. GWR Bala to Ffestiniog track bed, fantastic. The Bala bit has been co opted for steam. Little railway across the rail bridge from Barmouth then on to Talyllin, not forgetting the Rydale and Llanbedr Lake railway. There be dragons in those hills.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 10:49:18 AM »
I have climbed Cader Idris....Dragon's Teeth.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 10:54:28 AM »
pontcysyllte aquaduct as al says , briefly 1.000 ft long cast iron ,126ft above the river dee below. it terrifies me ! pics are poor as i cannot even think of looking over the side when going over . footpath on one side , i cannot even walk that !  on the other side nothing but a thin cast iron wall and THE DROP .
much better photos on wiki than i took  ;)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 11:37:11 AM »
Cheers Squire! I too am terrified of heights (due to being a short-arse?!) but I do like to challenge myself sometimes, hence going on the Thames Cable Car.
I will now DEFINITELY have to walk and boat across the Pontcystitis* Aqueduct**

*(Spelling?!)
**What did the Romans ever do for us?!