Author Topic: Kent and East Sussex Railway  (Read 15003 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Kent and East Sussex Railway
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »
Thought of that, but would not be possible, you would first have to get it upstairs to the departure area in a lift, and then past the staff to get it into a car. You would be stopped. However, if you were Clarkson in a P50 and it was been done for the show they might just allow it!

My brother and I DO plan to do "something" there......
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2012, 01:14:15 PM »
A bit worrying marcus
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2012, 01:18:16 PM »
OK, "something musical"!

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2012, 05:44:49 PM »
You need a license to ride a bicycle on a towpath.

You haven't needed a permit on cyclable towpaths for a few years now.  http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/see-and-do/cycling
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2012, 05:55:01 PM »
OFGS !! ride of the month on that site first page THE SAME AQUADUCT we have been talking about - weird . ok no licence needed for a cycle on a towpath maybe - but nothing with power  then , so a Gordons okay  :D
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2012, 06:22:30 PM »
Amazing! Well I am starting to formulate...a cunning plan (┬ęBaldrick in Blackadder). Sadly nothing is likely to happen this year, too busy.

Interesting to see that cyclists are now allowed on Tow Paths. I hope they show a decent level of consideration for walkers, children, dogs etc., because otherwise the right will very soon be cancelled!

Tow Paths and Bridle Ways have always been unclear legally, with the actual law covering most of them saying "No motor vehicles" but saying nothing specific for or against cycling.
I used to cycle regularly on the south embankment of the Thames from Tower Bridge to London Bridge. There was a sign post saying "Cycle Route to London Bridge" and legally it is a tow path not a pavement, but coppers would often pounce on even the slowest and most considerate cyclists, even though much of the way is quite wide and used to be little used.

Then they promised a cycle lane along it 20 years ago, but all they will was to take down the sign post and put up No Cycling stickers! Then billions of pounds was spent developing the whole area, including the new City Hall, and another clear promise that it would include a Cycle Lane, but again, just more "No Cycling" signs went up! Now it is getting busy so for much of it cyclists have to dismount or go really slowly, so I very rarely go along there any more. Shame. Ironically Transport for London made some TV ads about 5 years ago which were trying to give the idea that cycling in London is fun, safe and relaxing, and one of the shots of happy cyclists showed them cycling past City Hall, where anyone cycling is VERY likely to find themselves stopped by Mr Plod.

The law also is slightly unclear about electric vehicles, but if they cannot exceed a certain speed (15 or 18 kph?) then they are generally allowed on most pavements and towpaths.

Hmmm.....across Pontcysyllte by Drum Car perhaps!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2012, 07:46:26 PM »
Just loaded a couple of photos of models I made years ago, a Dalpol Pug saddle tank loco (it's a small model) and an Airfix Bristol 170, type 32 Super Freighter. Sadly none of my micro/bubble car toys are anywhere near the correct scale, but this model Morris Commercial which Squeak bought for me is about right:

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2012, 08:07:50 PM »

You haven't needed a permit on cyclable towpaths for a few years now.  http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/see-and-do/cycling

Is this the lot that have taken over from British Waterways, who used to administer the tow path but are now reduced in power and funding? I know there were licenses as many a boater has a bike to ride ahead to set locks. Those needed to be licensed. Not all waterways are under the same authority. Most rivers are Environment Agency but the fens are not.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2012, 08:15:08 PM »
I could not attach the other photo, so have had to post a link to the Bristol Superfreighter and Morris J Commercial models:

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss260/Captain_Bubble/SDC10271.jpg

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2012, 10:15:04 PM »
nice can you not get the trojan in ? wrong scale ? - a talented man , your in the wrong place  :)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2012, 11:30:19 PM »

Is this the lot that have taken over from British Waterways, who used to administer the tow path but are now reduced in power and funding? I know there were licenses as many a boater has a bike to ride ahead to set locks. Those needed to be licensed. Not all waterways are under the same authority. Most rivers are Environment Agency but the fens are not.
It is, but it changed about 5 or 6 years ago, long before British Waterways was axed. You're right there are plenty of other waterways under different authorities, I was only thinking about (ex) British Waterways towpaths.
Malcolm

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2012, 08:25:12 AM »
Indeed so. It only makes sense really as so many folk cycle on tow paths. The only real issue is density of use, probably restricted to city areas, and wet areas where the tyres cut up the turf. That said horses hooves would make a better job of that.

That the rules and management change is exemplified in Oxford. The canal is fully moored miles out of the city. The River remains relatively free of moored boats. Two reasons. A river mooring requires management as the level changes so the moorings need adjusting and the Thames licence is created by thinking of a number needed as a budget and dividing among the registered boats on the river. As the cost has risen the number of registered boats has dropped thus the license costs has risen by an alarming amount. Thus most boaters avoid the river which has become the preserve of the wealthy. Not that the canals are as cheap as they used to be. Only the fens seems to be run as the waterways used to be offering cheap living. The shear bleakness seems to put many folk off taking advantage though. Even Captain Bondseye is putting his boat up for sale so as to move ashore as he is finding it hard work to remain living afloat.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2012, 09:05:36 AM »
Every year my old band have our Fig and Date Fayre in a different place, the winners of one year's Fayre have to find the location for the next one. A few years ago it was to be a big pub on a remote hill outside Slaithewaite (pronounced Sloughit) in Yorkshire, so two Fezheads duly went up there to see if it was suitable and to prepare route instructions for the rest of us.

Bro and I got to the area about 11pm with 3 tons of gear in our Extra-Long WB HiTop "Patsy" Transit. Turned left where indicated by the two numb-nut Fezheads, and drove along a towpath. There was no turning place and no way of reversing in pitch black, so on we went. It got narrower and narrower, we had to pull in the nearside mirror because of the buildings close beside us, and the off-side tyres were on the edge of the towpath, almost on the decks of the long boats. We were getting really concerned, but luckily there was a yard next to some warehouses where we were able to turn around and get back to the roads.

When we left two days later in daylight we saw where we had been, and just could not believe where we had managed to drive.

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2012, 12:23:12 PM »
Reminds me of the first day I drove to work after I'd passed my driving test, slowly and carefully reversed into the very last space available in the car park and then found there wasn't enough space on either side to get out.
Malcolm

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2012, 12:30:48 PM »
^  That's where heinkel-Trojan, Isetta and Janus are the cars to have!
(Except when you drive into your garage, cannot open the front door, and as no bubble car has reverse you stay there till you die, honest guv, it's true!)