Author Topic: Goggomobil on Ebay...  (Read 7157 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Goggomobil on Ebay...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 05:13:53 PM »
not too much though i think - nice car
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

milnes

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 11:44:03 PM »
I was down buying another item from the seller of the Goggomobil and it is very nice and very solid. It started first turn of the key, pity it's got one extra wheel  ;D
I need to stop buying!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 01:07:19 AM »
It is an Isard, so French market export spec Goggomobil complete with sunroof. Quite rare actually. Trouble is it tops out at £5k so there is a limit on how much you want to spend on it. Fortunately it would go on the road pretty simply. That said to much for me again but an ideal candidate for someone desirous rather than looking to make loads of dosh.   
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »
It is an Isard, so French market export spec Goggomobil complete with sunroof.

I thought the Isard models had a grill in the back that said "ISARD" on them? Maybe it was just the TS models.
This one looks all Deutsche, what makes it an Isard other than the barn it was found in?

On a related note: does anyone have any idea where the term ISARD came about for some export Goggomobils?
I've heard all sorts of nonsense over the years about how "Goggo" was an insulting term in some languages or something, but when I have asked native speakers of the languages in question they tell me that it is not.
Perhaps a licensing conflict?
Any other nonsensical stories that might have some truth to them?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 06:13:31 PM »
Perhaps better as a spin off topic jim

well i heard that Gordon production was halted as Bond wouldnt let their suppliers deal with them Villiers/LEP etc.  -- rubbish i would imagine, but who knows ?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 06:15:25 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 01:41:54 AM »
It is an Isard, so French market export spec Goggomobil complete with sunroof.

I thought the Isard models had a grill in the back that said "ISARD" on them? Maybe it was just the TS models.
This one looks all Deutsche, what makes it an Isard other than the barn it was found in?

On a related note: does anyone have any idea where the term ISARD came about for some export Goggomobils?
I've heard all sorts of nonsense over the years about how "Goggo" was an insulting term in some languages or something, but when I have asked native speakers of the languages in question they tell me that it is not.
Perhaps a licensing conflict?
Any other nonsensical stories that might have some truth to them?

Chassis plated as an Isard 400 but constructed by Hans Glas. Not Spanish. It is possible this car has benefited from parts from another car as the chassis plate states Isard TS400 , which suggests Coupe to me. Further research would probable resolve this.

I was told Goggo is a colloquial term for an imbecile in areas of France. That kind of works as the name came from a pet name for Hans Glas' son 'Goggi' which might stem to a common route to do with children. An imbecile could be described as an adult who has failed to grow up?
I think there was a problem with Isar so they plumped for Isard which is a Pyrinian Chamois. This seemed to then be used for areas using French langauge, so Belgium. I have Isard handbooks in French, and I think, Flemish. The 700 also used the names.

(fixed the quoting...)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 03:34:52 AM by JimJanecek »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 03:36:39 AM »

Chassis plated as an Isard 400 but constructed by Hans Glas. Not Spanish. It is possible this car has benefited from parts from another car as the chassis plate states Isard TS400 , which suggests Coupe to me. Further research would probable resolve this.

the wrong chassis plate explains a lot.  It is definitely not a TS model.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 07:27:28 AM »
Indeed so. Yet the chassis number is more for a saloon being 111, not 1/1 or 2/1, though. Something odd going on. I wonder if a 400 engine has come from a Coupe with other parts and an ID and gone into a solid export saloon obtained to blur the existing French records. However Export cars are not so common so it still could be French market.