Author Topic: Shipping to the USA.  (Read 9120 times)

Bobbydog

• Chatty
Shipping to the USA.
« on: July 26, 2012, 12:03:54 PM »
This is a longshot,  steven Mandell is shipping a couple of cars to the states and was wondering if anyone else had something in mind and would want to part share costings.
If anyone knows of anyone wanting this type of service in near future please let me know
It is also to include spares, or parts.
And not necessarily car parts

Thanks

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Re: Shipping to the USA.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 02:07:09 PM »
I did recently ship a stuffed Duckbilled platypus to California, is that the kind of thing you can handle?

RE shipping cars abroad, although I have been guilt of it in the past [when there were plenty around and no one seemed to want them] I now see the error of my ways and support the Bond/messerschmitt club stance of no exporting, some of our home grown little cars like Scootacars, Frisky's ect are very rare now in the UK, soon there will be none left for us to enjoy. Good for Steve for grabbing a few whilst he can but should we be encouraging it? What do you think?

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 02:35:22 PM »
I did recently ship a stuffed Duckbilled platypus to California

You've sold your Inter?
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bobbydog

• Chatty
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »
Whilst I do admit that rarer cars should remain in the uk.
It is at the end of the day down to the person who pays the pennies.
If for instance a rare car ,comes up for sale at a price of say 8000.00
And no one pays it, excepting a foreign person , then it goes abroad.
I am of the opinion that he who pays, calls the shots.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 05:31:02 PM »
Fully Agree.  All types of vehicles have moved overseas because a lot of the British don't want to pay the asking price of the vendor. As the vendor wants or needs the funds, the vehicle will go abroad for the asking price, so be it.

8000.00 for a rare car? Not at the last Coy's auction!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 05:34:07 PM by Rob Dobie »
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bobbydog

• Chatty
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 06:22:08 PM »
They 8000.00 price tag was just an example.
I have shipped two bentleys before now and they were in the mega pounds

One was a two door doctors coupe with dickey and the other was a speed six of 8litres

So if anyone knows of or wants space within this container , let us know

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 07:02:55 PM »
Of course market forces dictate and always have done but it just a shame that we may lose them for ever. I think the tide may be turning now and there are a few well heeled UK collectors that will be giving Johnny Foreigner a run for there money, shame I'm not one of 'em!
I guess the other solution would be to just make some more!! ;D ;D

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 07:04:46 PM »
I did recently ship a stuffed Duckbilled platypus to California

You've sold your Inter?

Rob you cheeky blighter!!
My Inter is beutifull, then again so are Duck Billed Platypuses!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 08:04:16 AM »
Surely the Duck Billed Platypus was originally exported from Australia. So that is a sin already committed and your only guilty of handling exported goods. A lesser infringement of the Anoraked ones.

We are rather stuck with a world market for good or ill. Many of these cars will have far more interesting histories than we will. Travelling round the world into different collections as economic buying power ebbs and flows and the alleged values cycle. The only real down side is that over time they will loose the context of their natural environment and be diminished in their whole meaning. Much as a stuffed Duck Billed Platypus tells you far less than seeing a live one in a zoo where efforts have been made to match their natural environment. We are back to value being different to worth.

I have a chum looking to shift some stuff to the USA and vice versa. Will notify him of option.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 03:13:40 PM »
The only real down side is that over time they will loose the context of their natural environment and be diminished in their whole meaning. Much as a stuffed Duck Billed Platypus tells you far less than seeing a live one in a zoo where efforts have been made to match their natural environment. We are back to value being different to worth.
I have a chum looking to shift some stuff to the USA and vice versa. Will notify him of option.
I haven't moth balled or stuffed either of my Nobels, or my AC Petite.  Quite to the contrary I have brought back from the dead these cars that your countrymen have not seen fit to restore.  In the case of the AC- I have definitely saved it by having an entire floor and some frame members accurately fabricated where as I have been advised by some in your country that throwing in a plywood floor was forgivable. I am currently working on re fabricating its transmission case.  Incidentally none of the above was bought by myself from outside of North America. That goes for my Scootacar, and Frisky Sport also.
If I have decided to round out my collection with an FF3 and 4 wheeler Nobel, I believe that I have certainly earned that right by now.  And who am I talking
to here? Your country men have patriated/ repatriated far more rust free cars from just my native state of California than will ever be exported from your entire country to the US.   And in the case of someone who admits to prior exportation of micros for profit vs personal appreciation- I think we have the kettle calling the pot black.  Besides, Bob- it was you who pointed out to me, that my neighbors export model Frisky Sport was recently bought and exported by an Englishman.  Fair is fair  
As far as maintaining natural environs goes- since the bodies of the cars that I am exporting are of fiberglass, you don't have to worry that anybody would be able to tell that they are not naturally rusting as they would in their homeland.  
Speaking of Duck billed Platypusses- I am on the lookout for a Zeta Sports, and I am wiling to assist should anyone need help exporting a car from California.    Big Al- your assistance is greatly appreciated as I have but an average income, and this is for me an expensive but very worthwhile passion.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 03:20:00 PM by JimJanecek »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 08:48:42 PM »
Hi Steve, Its true a whole lot of rust free cars have been imported by Brits from California and from all over the US, I see a lot of British cars like MG's coming back full circle. Not rare microcars though. When you say that you bought your microcars whilst they were already in North America I take it that this doesnt include the two you are having shipped over from Wales?
Good luck to you old mate. It a free market I'm just jealous I cant afford to stockpile a few while they are still available!

Bobbydog

• Chatty
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 09:16:21 PM »
Hi big al
I thank you for taking the time to read and understand the the message is for shipping units.
The more you get in one container the less all people pay.
It makes logical sense by putting all items in same container as cost per item will plummet and all people will save money.

By saving money people can put to good effect in buying these rarer cars.

Also on a different tangent here.
Is it not better for people to band together to purchase together these rarer cars
Thus they stay in the uk.

Simples methinks.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2012, 07:08:49 AM »
I stick to my Zoo analogy. Where a breed is going extinct, for what ever reason, it is quite excepted that examples are removed to maintain a viable population elsewhere. Its not the ideal but it is certainly better than extinction because the locals refuse to look after them in some way. Go back to cars then and I think I have covered Steven's points. We pretty much agree.

My view on exportation is that it is a shame when cars go but that is because I am selfish and would love to see all the cars without much effort. Perhaps by a vibrant scene here with 400 microcars at a National. That is not going to happen as there was never enough interest and if anything the cars have clumped into collections with fewer active participants after some golden years seeing less cars at events than 15 years ago. Other enthusiasts have appeared who are more interested and economically placed to take some cars on. Who am I to stop them or prevent the seller taking the higher price than would seem available here? Its reality. Some of those cars that leave disappear down a black hole but many do not and the Internet again rescues things now as we can still see the cars plus others that were never here in the first place. Indeed some cars are more visible the other side of the world than ones 10 miles from where I live!

It is mothballing that has removed cars from use. That is inevitable if folk collect and it does not matter if they are local or not. I am as guilty as others as I have a lot of unused stuff but I am now beginning to resolve this situation as it is untenable really. Better a few good running cars then sheds full of growlers. How many will go abroad? It is not up to me but the market, as I am not going to apply some sort of apartheid. Banning things means loosing control and I have never agreed with Clubs taking the stance they can dictate what owners can or cannot do with their cars even if I understand the sentiment behind it. The real answer is to create such a vibrant club that demand for cars locally will always outstrip the interest from abroad. That is proactive and means work rather than emitting negative vibes and resting on laurels while in charge. I suggest the alienation created has done those clubs attempting market control no favours in the long term as they fail to move forward with the times and diminish. That is also a market force.

Anyway, the sun shines and the guys will be reading for the event in question and I trust a good weekend is had by all. I have more to achieve in one of my most productive weeks in an age. Great to be getting fit again, Two MOTs next week. 
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2012, 06:17:43 PM »
I stick to my Zoo analogy. Where a breed is going extinct, for what ever reason, it is quite excepted that examples are removed to maintain a viable population elsewhere. Its not the ideal but it is certainly better than extinction because the locals refuse to look after them in some way. Go back to cars then and I think I have covered Steven's points. We pretty much agree.

I have heard it said that the AC Petite's aluminum body and very unique belt driven transmission, lack of a front brake or ignition switch and many other oddities were not noticed/ appreciated by your locals due to its external resemblance to the firberglass Invacars.  But why no appreciation for you equally odd but cosmetically more endearing Nobels?
 I have more to achieve in one of my most productive weeks in an age. Great to be getting fit again, Two MOTs next week. 

Which 2 are you bringing to MOT?  I'd like to hear the stories behind them.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 01:19:45 AM »
Had and driven Nobels. Had a few Fuldas in my time. Decided not for me.

I have an MOT on an Type 70 Invalid Carriage which is already sold to a museum. This should be straight forward having now had this garage do several. The computer bit is sussed and we know what we are looking at. It is a good example though the engine needs a bit of serious running to clear it out of muck so it can be fine tuned. Be interesting to see what the sniffer makes of it.

The other car is modern so not really of much interest.