Author Topic: The Purpose of the Register of Unusual Microcars (RUM CARS)  (Read 19661 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: The Purpose of the Register of Unusual Microcars (RUM CARS)
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2012, 06:35:54 PM »
That could work as it is useful info whilst being pretty anonymous. Of course there is no need to prevent those who wish to go further with there own cars from doing so, in a pictorial record and sketch specs such as I think is meant here. might even resolve some incorrect info commonly held to be correct, which in fact turns out not to be so. The great thing is to continue to learn stuff you did not know. Even if they might be slightly off the core of RUM. It is always possible not to follow threads that are not of interest. The Off Topic area is a good valve for that. What remains is to find the guy who has the ability to create and manage this, another issue sadly.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2012, 03:54:41 PM »
What remains is to find the guy who has the ability to create and manage this, another issue sadly.
For once Big Al you have hit the nail right on the head.  All these wonderful ideas are fine but they need a dedicated volunteer with the  necessary skills to carry them out. The truth is those type of people seem to be a dying breed. these day the word is 'you can't get ought for nought'!    Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2012, 12:58:31 PM »
No one has commented on my link to the moped gallery.

http://www.icenicam.ukfsn.org/gallery/galindex.html

Personally, I think a microcar version would be great to have?

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2012, 02:19:48 PM »
Dear Barry

I was trying to get Johnathan to do something similar on his new version of the Rumcar Web site and we reached a point where he said Weebble could not do it, so I asked what it could do and that is where it faded.

The idea was to have a matrix of years along the top and countries down the side and having clicked on the appropriate year/country box it took you to a photo index of all the vehicles available for that year, from that you click on the vehicle and there was a potted history.

A simple alphabetical index of makes is a lot simpler but loses some of the context of what was available at the time and dependent upon which country you lived in. A manufacturers index for each country would still be an enormous task as at the moment I think there are some 460 different microcars in 29 different countries.  With Germany having almost 80 different makes. A huge task to index all of them. But you need an endexing system that will grow with the list as it builds.

Chris Thomas
Rumcar News

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »
Chris, I like your idea of seeing what vehicles were available in a given year.
I can see how it gets complicated and very time consuming for one person to maintain.

I like the moped gallery because of its simplicity.

I think such a gallery need not be within the rumcars website.  It could be just a link to a separate area.

One solution would be for the viewers of the gallery to be able to upload pictures themselves.  This spreads the workload which would be mammoth for one person.
Obviously this could allow inaccurate information to be posted but this could also be dealt with and corrected by contributors.

I will investigate possibilities.

Barry

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2012, 10:01:33 PM »
I emailed Andrew at NACC (Buzzing mopeds)
It was good to get an immediate response - below.

I will have a word with my other contacts to see how we could achieve a gallery of pictures of the different cars initially then look at more detailed solutions as suggested by Chris.

Let me know (all) if you don't thing it's worth pursuing.

Barry

Barry,

I don't think I'm going to be a lot of help to you.  I don't use any clever website building packages - I just write all the website code 'by hand' in XHTML.  Obviously, with the Moped Gallery, all the pages are very similar so, if I want to add a page, I just copy an existing one and change the names.  Similarly, to add a picture to a page I can just copy & paste, then change a few parameters.

However, if finding bodies to do it is a problem, my methods probably won't be suitable - they also need a certain amount of expertise.

The site is hosted by UKFSN (www.ukfsn.org) who are an 'old-fashioned'
ISP.  We pay £15pa for 100Mb of webspace and it's up to us to do what we want with it.  UKFSN doesn't supply any tools or software - in effect, they just give us a blank canvas.

--
Andrew