Author Topic: Invalid Carriages  (Read 8706 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: Invalid Carriages
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 06:49:34 AM »
Times change. ITA rally compared with Motability resourced cars. THe lot of the disabled driver has improved. Yet they were having more fun than we do with our 'fun' cars at a rally. Ho hum.

Check out the interesting indicator unit and, danger, Larmars. This one is exactly the model I have not got being the small IC version rather than the larger car version. Same sophisticated looks though, aerodynamics by The London Brick Company.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 10:07:33 AM »
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/ita-rally/query/invalid

Reversing competition about 2:00 mins into this video, looks positively dangerous. Perhaps she was part of the recruitment drive?
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Peelpower

• Prolific Poster
  • Peel owners club of Germany
    • www.kabinenroller.de
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
Great videos. I stayed there for watching them till they end, and i figure, this must be the right stzff for Ian.
Anyway Ian, thank you very much for coming along. Fantastic time it was talking about our mad things in the garage.

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 01:27:46 PM »
Nice videos, the first is an amazing looking machine.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:41:12 PM »
The hand controls on "testing-invalid-car" beggar description.  It looks to me like a left hand brake, maybe with a press-down clutch function?  Right hand is on its own on steering wheel but with thumb controlling hand throttle?  And occasionally right hand off wheel to reach down to work gearchange?

I mean, if you weren't an invalid before getting it, you would be soon after......

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 06:54:45 AM »
Certainly makes a broccoli of the Police doing that Lady for drinking a bottle of water while stationary at the traffic lights. Some of these carriages are actually darned difficult to drive if you are used to being able bodied. Plenty of one handed vehicles about to, including police cars judging by what I have seen on the TV. Do what we say, not what we do. Could be why they mow down and kill so many peeps a year just like really dangerous stationary car drivers having a drink. However they would think twice about doing a disabled driver now as they have 'rights'. So maybe they are the thing to have and drive badly. My bud had a trike so he could drink and drive on the basis they all wobble and the only difference was he wobbled in the opposite direction. It worked despite our disapproval as he never got done.

The latest Type 70 I am on has a hand throttle rather than a twist grip. I prefer it. Stuart has pictures of some really oddball cars. One for a guy who was unable to bend so drove stood up etc and so on. Some very clever engineering on this stuff and where the interest lays to me rather than the somewhat basic standard models.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Rusty Chrome (Malcolm Parker)

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 02:34:13 PM »
Certainly makes a broccoli of the Police doing that Lady for drinking a bottle of water while stationary at the traffic lights.
That was her version. When it came to court and the court found against her, it wasn't that she was drinking from the bottle whilst stationary that was the issue, it was that she was still drinking from the bottle when she pulled away from the lights and then only put the bottle down when she had to change gear. If she'd been paying attention, she might have noticed the bloody great Police Range Rover that pulled her over!
Malcolm
Bond Mk D - "The Bond Minicar solves your problem"
Nobel 200 - "Almost as cheap as breathing!"

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 08:53:27 PM »
If she had got an automatic she would have got away with it? The crime is to be unobservant really as I give up counting the number of peeps fiddling with stuff while driving these days. So many optional extra distractions. Life was easier when your main worry was the changing noise of your Villiers engine.