Author Topic: Fun at Navestock  (Read 7341 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
Fun at Navestock
« on: August 06, 2012, 09:41:14 AM »
Steve Baylis and I had a nice day yesterday at the Navestock charity classic car show, its on every year and is always well attended, in fact some years if you dont arrive by 10.00 there is no room to let you in. The day started off with fine sunshine and on the way we somehow picked up a 2CV in our short convoy so when we got there all three mico'ish cars were lined up together, later two Q-pods turned up from Chelmsford, the four wheeler variety with the 350?? four stroke engines which was nice to see. Unfortunately Essex man has very little finess and is particularly partial to American vulgarity and the event always attracts a large contingent of huge monster cars, dont misunderstand me, I'm quite happy to look over the nice lines of a 57 Chevy the same as the next man but its what they do to some of them that offends!  There were also some nice veteran cars there as well so that always compensates.[see photo below] All was well until lunch time when there was a severe deluge. fortunately the field was well drained and it cleared away quite quickly. To crown a nice day much to our surprise Thumper picked up its first hardware in the form of "Best post war car". The Gas guzzlers didnt look too happy! I guess the judges thought it would make a change to reward something a bit different. There was another deluge on the way home but it didnt take the shine off the otherwise enjoyable day.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:03:33 AM by Bob Purton »

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
Re: Fun at Navestock
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 10:10:33 AM »
Very well done Bob, it is nice to see Thumper getting her just recognition.  Is that Steve Baylis's Melford next to you?
Please tell him we would like to see it on the Register and at the next Open Day if possible because he has got his running quicker than Jamie has got ours!  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:04:35 AM »
HI Jean. It is indeed Steves Reliant ANT. He uses it for work regularly. Its been restored like this for years now but he is better known for turning up at events in his Berkeley special. As I recall he didnt register the ANT with RUMcars because its not a microcar, it has an 850cc engine. The same goes for his Berkeley which is 1275cc. There appears to be some ambiguity with what is accepted on the register and what isnt, for example we have Jonathans lawn mower which isnt a car by any stretch of the imagination but does have a small engine and cars which in every other sense are microcars but because of the engine being over a certain displacement are not wanted on the register. I dont think Steve is bothered though, anything that can save him spending a pound puts a smile on his face! :D :D

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 07:39:50 PM »
Unfortunately Essex man has very little finess and is particularly partial to American vulgarity and the event always attracts a large contingent of huge monster cars, dont misunderstand me, I'm quite happy to look over the nice lines of a 57 Chevy the same as the next man but its what they do to some of them that offends!  

It would seem to be becoming the home of Invalid Carriages too. The Thundersley effect? Not to your taste either. Unless the guys are going to put Corvair engines in them or something. So good you can not like them twice.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 09:00:07 PM »
"becoming the home of Invalid Carriages too"
sorry, not with you there Al, why is that then?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 09:42:27 PM »
"becoming the home of Invalid Carriages too"
sorry, not with you there Al, why is that then?

Three sold into Essex in a year and the Lanarkshire spares are over there. Admittedly one escaped but I was attempting to get you nervously looking out for predatory Type 70s waiting to pollute near your G Whizz so that you get the blame.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 10:47:58 PM »
Lol!! I will be on the look out then. Sorry to disappoint you but the spares are in Suffolk!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 06:41:15 AM »
Lol!! I will be on the look out then. Sorry to disappoint you but the spares are in Suffolk!

Isn't that a suburb of Essex?

At a tangent, overhearing conversation the other day, two young mums.
'We are off on holiday on Friday'
'Where to?'
'Shropshire.'
'Where is that?'
'Somewhere near London, I think.'

Suffolk, where I bought 7 trip loads of Goggos and spares from a composer near Great Bradley. Where my Great Uncle lived at Cotton and used old hand grenades as door stops. Where my Goggo 700 fitted with a Morris sidevalve engine came from. A beautiful county populated by some odd folk. A Rickshaw guy in Sudbury, geezer who bought an engineless Bond Bug in bits to make a aeroplane out of it, The beat man who was fuelling his cars from rotten and lowgrade mangold-wurzels rejected from the processors. Might have been green fuel but wiff bot major. Most of his cars did not work either and he was going to be experimenting with alcoholic two stroke in the Bond he bought off me. To be honest buying up a load of brand spankers Invalid Carriage spares seems really rather conservative and sensible for the area.
Happy days meeting all these oddball folk round the country. They are members of the Brotherhood.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 08:49:10 AM »
Ho Thats a good u'n!
I think I can top it though, we used to have Americans come in my antiques shop in Bermondsey and ask for directions to Paris England!

I never really had a problem with IC's or there followers, its just that Rumcar news was going through a dark period where it was in danger of being absorbed into Prosthetic limb monthly. Now after a change of editor and Stuart deciding to publish his own mag all is well.   

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 11:46:59 AM »
Congrats Bob, and cheers for the photos.

I know a Thames Cruise boat owner who sometimes teases the Tourists by pointing at the north side of the Thames and calling it London, then at the South bank and telling them it's Paris, they rarely comment.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:44 PM »
[quote author=Bob Purton link=topic=3383.msg23688#msg23688 date=134432575
its just that Rumcar news was going through a dark period where it was in danger of being absorbed into Prosthetic limb monthly.
[/quote]

That would have been one hand not knowing what the other was doing in the Register of Unusual Malformations. Still fortunately the club got a leg up. Sorry.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 09:08:17 PM »
not overly sensitive i don't think and we have been here before - but i really dont see this forum should be used to make ill judged comments about disabilities . i assure that if some stumbled on this forum when browsing it would not be regarded as in good taste -  surely .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977