Author Topic: MIni filler neck diameter  (Read 14663 times)

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
MIni filler neck diameter
« on: August 10, 2012, 09:53:47 AM »
Hi all.   Could anyone please tell me what the outside diameter of a classic mini fuel filler neck measures?  Thanks.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: MIni filler neck diameter
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:11:42 PM »
hope i am not guilty of dragging this on topic but dont i remember heinkel/trojan owners using mini rubbers to seal petrol tank necks to body ? can anyone help bob on this one - is it effectively the same size ? and of course what size is a heinkel one -marcus ?
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 12:05:53 AM »
Its wasn't off topic in the first place Richard, the question is all to do with a microcar. How perceptive of you , I did ask as I want to use a mini rubber over a Heinkel filler neck. You can either read minds or have been talking to Goggo ;)!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 08:27:50 AM »
That would open up the use of several differing rubber mouldings as this is standard pipe section.

The Trienkel used a sort of silver plastic material for at least part of the production run. The material is also found being used to make the hubcaps and prettily badged oil grommet on later chain-cases with the Bakelite type cover plate. These were intended to be fitted warm when the material is pliable as it is pretty rigid at normal room temperature. I have several old ones but they tend to discolour. In the Trienkels case it unusually has the fuel tank inside the main body of the car. The seal thus needs to be water tight or the bottom of the tank resting on soft material rusts out with the body floor below. Since this sits above the engine a nice hot steamy bath of water each run out is just the job for naff node major. Pin hole leaks on Trienkel tanks are a well known problem, and this is why. In most instances the tank neck grommet does not need to be 100% water tight as it is not entering the body and/or has a drain trap to collect spilt fluids and void them neatly, not so the Trienkel. This is why the Treinkel tank and grommet are a tricky thing to fit correctly. Not only has the grommet to be inserted with the flange in place and the neck through, a stern battle, but then the whole thing needs to be centred. Despite the body having a slot for the fuel tap thread to poke through into the engine bay you will be surprised how often it is a struggle to get good alignment, especially if the car is a restored one and accuracy has been lost. In my experience most restorers do not bother to mount the grommet correctly and pass the problem on.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 08:39:41 AM »
Havnt spoken to goggo bob. Hi goggo .it was you bob that posted the question in the off topic lounge - I never thought it was. Anyhow glad to have been of help - anytime 
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 08:49:28 AM »
So I did! That was just to confuse you! :D   The questions remains though, what is the diameter of a classic mini filler neck? That's all I need to know. If Goggo is reading this how about stepping out of your front door with a pair of calipers and measuring yours? There doesn't appear to be any in my neighbourhood.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 08:56:05 AM »
So I did! That was just to confuse you! :D   The questions remains though, what is the diameter of a classic mini filler neck? That's all I need to know. If Goggo is reading this how about stepping out of your front door with a pair of calipers and measuring yours? There doesn't appear to be any in my neighbourhood.

Yes Callipers went out with the Invalid Carriage.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
Always willing to help bob but just a thought - if you want a rubber to go around a heinkel petrol tank neck why not be controversial and try a heinkel petrol tank  rubber ?  :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:49:45 AM by lightweight dickie »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 02:33:30 PM »
Because the heinkel neck isnt going to protrude out of the body work, a seperate neck will that has to join up with the tank neck. Simples!. . The neck rubber situation resolved its self this morning, I found a neck from an MGB which is 2 1/4 inches od and the mini rubber I ordered arrived today which is a nice tight fit over it, I just have to find the right bends to join the two now.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »
 :DI do hope that one day this will be sold as an original  ;D I don't know why you don't get mr. Merkelt to make it for you like mr. Bruetsch did  :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 03:48:16 PM by lightweight dickie »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 05:29:57 PM »
Sorry Dickie, wrong car! There is stuff going on in my workshop even you dont know about! ;) ;)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 05:55:22 PM »
whatever it is have fun - must be nice not to have to do any work eh !

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 07:13:19 AM »
Sorry Dickie, wrong car! There is stuff going on in my workshop even you dont know about! ;) ;)

Start worrying if there is stuff going on it that you don't know about! Pesky Bing Fairys move in or something.

I was going to suggest that with the MG pipe you might need to wind your neck in but then realised what I think it might be for. All very interesting.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 08:56:50 AM »
And I was blaming the  Dellorto fairies for moving stuff around, spend an hour searching the floor the other night for a  woodruf  key that I dropped, spotted it immediately the next morning sitting on top of an oil can, must be the garage gremlins! The other year I dropped a small theodolite component, searched everywhere to no avail, ended up making a new part. Went indoors after a long day, removed my boots only to find the original part wedged in the tread of my boot!  >:( >:(

About winding my neck in, people are always telling me to do that, keeps it off of the block!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 03:07:12 PM »
Oops missed this, been away for a few days! I can measure my Trojan's pipe if you want.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face