Author Topic: Bruce Weiner museum up for auction  (Read 18893 times)

steven mandell

• Prolific Poster
Re: Bruce Weiner museum up for auction
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 11:24:18 AM »
Indeed, many of them may go to wealthy collectors that previously have had little to do with Micro cars.  I say this because I just got back from my 800 mile round trip, 3 day vacation to Monterrey California for the Concourso Italiano, Concours DeLemon, and a couple of auctions.  While at the site of the RM auction- the Portola Hotel, I noticed a well prepared exhibit featuring an Isetta, GoGo Van, and a Messerschmitt.  It was part of a well orchestrated campaign By Bruce Weiner to publicize his upcoming auction in Feb 1013. For dramatic effect it included a video of his big block supercharged V8 powered 3 wheeled Isetta creation doing an extended burnout on the narrow road outside his museum.  I was there at its debut in 2009, so I recognized the scene.  It was clearly designed to intrigue a new type of wealthy clientele that was previously unfamiliar with the world of Microcars to his auction.  I even found myself clearing up a few major misconceptions to a few intrigued but dumbfounded onlookers that had heard the typical rumors about Messerschmitts being made from surplus airplane parts.

It all makes me wonder more than ever what is behind Bruce's apparent change of heart, and makes me much less optimistic about finding any good deals amongst a wealthy audience that is now more likely than ever to come in from great distances.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 08:20:21 AM »
Look what he did with the Christies Auction. That broke all records on prices then and was a much smaller auction. Indeed some of the prices still stand as highest achieved for type of Microcar. Quite a few folk have been telling me about how they will be going with the expectation of getting a bargain once the scramble is over for the plums and cherries. Not least after the Coys auction surprised us with the lower prices achieved. I think there might be some well priced machinery but do not under estimate the man's ability to whip up a market. Also because it is a Museum/best collection sale there will be people bidding just to own a slice of the action. Just the same as they have a bit of the Berlin Wall, Royal linked ephemera, Titanic ephemera, etc etc. These buyers will see some underwriting of the less desirable and easily portable items as evidence of being there and of some kind of claim to membership of a clan while its interesting.

So I am pretty confidant that this auction will see some pretty strong bidding and might well tear out the heart of what is left of a hobby as, inevitably, people chase the values. The question is what really happens to the values? With so many cars sating the market and Bruce not driving in deals it could actually stall the market after he has left with the cash. Good news for those who want to play but not for those who scent a profit. I note that several quite satisfactory Schmitts have not found buyers here at what were reasonable prices so the economics are already a little bleak after Coys for those expecting an ever increase value on there collections. Mind you like several other clubs the Schmitt world is now in difficulties putting off potential owners here. Certainly bubblecar ownership does not look as attractive as it did 10 years ago in the UK, unless you have a Trienkel perhaps. Maybe it is time for these cars to become collectors items with only the few used by those proficient enough to manage to create the buy in budget, sort out the good bits from bad and research the correct information to produce a running car for the very few meeting annually that genuinely and primarily cater for their interest, with one area proving the exception. With the loss of Story these are mostly small gatherings in scattered places, though there are others trying to keep the faith like DWAC. Will this sale have an effect on these events as the shock-wave works through?
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2012, 11:31:23 AM »
You dont think its worth me going and trying to buy back my fake Frisky then?

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »
Or the cut and shut Bond Mk C.  ;D
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2012, 09:07:02 PM »
I didnt sell him a mkC, I owned that car for a while though but sold it here in the uk.

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »
kind of glad he never bought my Powerdrive now!

It was 'too big' for the museum! That's what Peter Svilans told me when it was for sale.

Rob Dobie

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2012, 10:05:38 PM »
Did I say you sold him the Mk C Bob?
Ain't got nuffink now except memories.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 12:29:19 AM »
No Rob but just keeping you informed. ;)

mharrell

• Quite Chatty
    • An Accumulation
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 03:48:36 AM »
Indeed, many of them may go to... collectors that previously have had little to do with Micro cars.  ...Monterrey California for the Concourso Italiano, Concours DeLemon... part of a well orchestrated campaign By Bruce Weiner....

Dude, taking an ex-Weiner microcar to the Concours d'LeMons is so 2009.
197? Lyman Electric Quad (two), 1978 KV Mini 1, 1980 KV Mini 1, 1981 HMV Freeway

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 07:00:47 AM »
Many a true word in jest, I like it.

Just agitating a bit. Are we suggesting that the imagined RUMcar fakes list would actually impact somewhat on Bruce's collection. Without looking that is three cars he has which are wrong 'uns as his Larmar is not a car but a converted Invalid Carriage. 

For a long time he would not have GRP cars. I have heard the 'to big' reason too. Yet if your collecting surely multiples of a type are subordinate to a missing one. The collection is that, not a museum, as it shows the whimsy of its owner. He likes Goggo commercials for instance. Bad news till now, if you wanted one, but good if you wanted a Powerdrive or Horridnet. Then again the former are now worth £1,000s, alledgedly, and the later, not a lot for a very rare car. (Both are worth more than I would pay but that is another matter).
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 09:00:22 AM »
Well, not completely in jest, the car had a brand new body shell and the wrong engine, although I didnt know that at the time!
Not the one to buy if you value originality.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 09:55:26 AM »
Well, not completely in jest, the car had a brand new body shell and the wrong engine, although I didnt know that at the time!
Not the one to buy if you value originality.

It had all the right parts, but not necessarily from, or in, the right place. Ideal for three differing house auction sales and it becomes Gorden Bedson's ex Le Man competing rarity worth 'fazands. So much better than the real thing and very next year at Goodwood. Just make sure John is otherwise occupied!!!

blob

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 11:29:01 AM »
I have heard the 'to big' reason too.

If so, wonder why he collected Lloyds! It must have been after the aforementioned Powerdrive was offered.

messerschmitt

• Chatty
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2012, 04:24:17 PM »
probably  - am happier where the Powerdrive went to anyway.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2012, 07:14:21 PM »
I have heard the 'to big' reason too.

If so, wonder why he collected Lloyds! It must have been after the aforementioned Powerdrive was offered.

Ah, many a various are the Lloyds, and also rather successful. Just we never had many over here. But in the main, yes bigger to the point of not being a Microcar. Perhaps he could not see the joy of resting your arm on the sculptured ali door of the Powerdrive as you surveyed the local flora and fauna going passed - up hill with cows hurrying passed to be milked!