Author Topic: Bruce Weiner museum up for auction  (Read 18897 times)

messerschmitt

• Chatty
Re: Bruce Weiner museum up for auction
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »

Ah, many a various are the Lloyds, and also rather successful. Just we never had many over here. But in the main, yes bigger to the point of not being a Microcar. Perhaps he could not see the joy of resting your arm on the sculptured ali door of the Powerdrive as you surveyed the local flora and fauna going passed - up hill with cows hurrying passed to be milked!
lol

mine went faster than David's one - but it was never going to be a quick car - 0-30 could be measured in minutes!

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 09:30:51 PM »
Bob P
was that the Yellow and white Frisky F3   on the web site
John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2012, 10:54:37 PM »
It was indeed John. Someone started a rumour at the time that I had ripped the previous owner off, just for the record, it was for sale for some time, no one was interested, I paid the asking price and it was moved on to Bruce for a very modest three figure profit which barely covered costs. I wish I had kept it because it drove so nicely. The down side was that it had that villiers twin oil seal fault and henced smoked like billio! Having a new shell and wrong engine wouldnt bother me but I know for many out there it would. When I find out who started the rumour I shall be poking them right in the eye! ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 08:14:20 AM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 07:40:14 AM »
Available soon. T and Polo shirts with dart board printed on the back. Rally attendance, back stabbing for the use of. Can have 'I love Brucie' on the front if you like, bit controversial there, coming in.

The only defence for the minimalist motoring enthusiasts, now fully equipped camper-vans are so prevalent at events, is the reduced price supermarket baguette. Well its the weapon of choice with the BUMS, in the absence of the genuine French item which has a more rapier like quality when 8 hours old. MInd you we won the Battle of Catheter Castle with only stale buns against the massed ranks of the Bond Bug Club, but that was pure unadulterated idiocy rather than a response to a stealth attack. I expect such action would be banned now since fun is not allowed to spoil an occasion. However we retain our right to the old aerodynamic baguette, be it bent for throwing like a boomerang, stiff for poking, crumbly for getting camper-van beds or sleeping bags alike. But chiefly to nibble if there is any good cheese laying about. Cheese knifes are not so good for back stabbing, save round corners, so you know your on a chance of a good enthusiast when you see one, or a devious begger.

Strangely baguettes are equally as good on Mopeds and really jousting training should be begun before very much longer. It is very much easier than with MIcrocars but the BUMS are very proficient at that, though for TV we used more visible and durable foam bats.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2012, 08:25:21 AM »
A poke in the eye with a blunt baguette! Now that would be a "Brucie bonus"!  :D
I have seen pictures of your Heinkel jousting, even with spongy lances it looked pretty dangerous, hilarious though!

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2012, 08:24:59 PM »
Hi Bob P
THe Frisky F3 originaly came from a friend of mine in Bridgewater he has rebuilt the chassis and also the engine . A gent from scotland bought and restpored it very nicely he relaced the shell with anothe F3 shell (so no real probs there). He admired my original yellow and white Coupe and copied it but reversed it being yellow roof and white body ( I believe it was nicknamed the flying egg!). Seats were put in the back, the F3 Mk1 didnt have these in fact the F3 mk2 only had them for a short while as it entailed sawing your pasengers legs off to get them in the back (not very popular!) As you say the engine should have been a Villiers 9E  which all Mk 1s had.  This had been replaced by a 3T. The later Mk 2 used twins both excelcior and Viliers 3T. The originaL registration No.was relpaced in 1999
The clips of it on youtube of it at the 1999 toddington  rally show  it really getting a move on.  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLEaFowQX3k&feature=related) It requires very little to put it "right". I know the original buyer guy got it for a good price but I dont know of any body ripping any one off! It will be interesting to see were it goes next. The original body was for sale on ebay not long ago from a LandRover dealer along with other parts no doubt it will surface one day.
John

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2012, 09:48:28 PM »
Oh, I have seen that crazed body shell on ebay more than once, didnt realise it was from this car. I bought it from a guy in Sunderland, not Scotland so maybe there was an other owner in between. I paided a record price for a F3 at the time as far as I know so it wasnt me that got a bargain! The point I was making was that there are many a collector out there that wouldnt be happy with a car that doesnt have its original body or engine.  9e's are getting harder to find now so not that esay to correct that..

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 11:43:19 AM »
Reading further about the RM auction.

It is not the sale of the contents of the museum. It is the sale of some 200 vehicles within the collection associated to the museum.

That is a completely different thing to what everyone is talking about unless Bruce only has 200 vehicles, which I somehow doubt. Could it be all the duplicates, spares, growlers, uneconomic restorations and vaguely associated cars are to be culled leaving a core quality microcar collection? That which remains within a trust? It makes a great deal of sense as the way Bruce buys collections, and on given descriptions without viewing, he will inevitably end up with unwanted or disappointing cars, for a number of reasons. I fear that news of the end of the Bruce Weiner Collection might be a little bit previous.

The news talks of a nigh on comprehensive collection of Messerschmitts including the only Sport, a Tiger etc. Mentions Goggo transporters and other rarities. However it does not say these will all be making the line up for the auction. It is the publicity machine rolling. We will have to await the catalogue to understand what he is looking to part with.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »
More information coming through.

To attend the two days of viewing will require the copy of the 700 page catalogue be bought for entry. That is $100. To access the auction itself is a further $50. The catalogue is promoted as a hard bound copy and with signed option. I believe a soft bound copy is to be available as well. There seems to be a separate catalogue to deal with the toys, literature and automobilia. No doubt these various publications will become collectors items in there own right.

This shows how Bruce is just smarter than the average bear as in producing a collectable item for access the treaty to come and play is both an entry level to keep out the riff raff but sustainable in the long term. Having spent $150 are going to want to leave empty handed? Watch and learn from someone who knows what he is doing.

Looking at it another way, sobering to think that for about £125 you can go to a three day 'rally' with more cars present than we normally get at our biggest national events with a rather good autojumble. Starts looking less expensive. I wonder if there are camping facilities included if one asked nicely?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2012, 10:17:54 AM »
veeeeery  interesting  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
Sounds like I need to go on a road trip before the auction!
1958 FriskySport

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
This shows how Bruce is just smarter than the average bear as in producing a collectable item for access the treaty to come and play is both an entry level to keep out the riff raff but sustainable in the long term. Having spent $150 are going to want to leave empty handed? Watch and learn from someone who knows what he is doing.

Bruce is not handling the auction or the book/catalog.  All of that is in the hands of the auction company.
He did apparently have some say in getting the main catalog to be a hardcover item though.  People have been asking about a "book" for years.
A fee for Preview days and Auction itself is S.O.P for these kinds of events.

I wonder if there are camping facilities included if one asked nicely?

Not included, but there are full-service camping facilities available next door.  Short walk and closer than any of the hotels which are still 2.5 miles away.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2012, 07:43:44 PM »

Bruce is not handling the auction or the book/catalog.  All of that is in the hands of the auction company.
He did apparently have some say in getting the main catalog to be a hardcover item though.  People have been asking about a "book" for years.
A fee for Preview days and Auction itself is S.O.P for these kinds of events.

I wonder if there are camping facilities included if one asked nicely?

Not included, but there are full-service camping facilities available next door.  Short walk and closer than any of the hotels which are still 2.5 miles away.

I was thinking of comparison with folks selling via a national based but regional auctions like the recent Coys sale. They charge for viewing etc but is any of that material of value afterwards? The catalogue told you next to nothing about the cars. As with the Christies sale before it I am quite sure that RM are acting in a fully functional way. However the vendor has some effect on the success of the outcome of a sale by choosing the bests terms and conditions available backed by active marketing. Of course if you have a valuable collection you are better positioned to obtain the best service. My experience of auctions with limited entry value is your more than likely to be stiffed unless you are about it. Far better to hold as much leverage as you can muster. If it were me selling a few rare vehicles I would have sought out others complimentary to build into a must not miss sale selected for best access to the selling market.

Camping available as well as normal services. Sounds like an event to be at to me.