Author Topic: 1960 Peugeot Moped  (Read 13568 times)

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
1960 Peugeot Moped
« on: August 15, 2012, 09:32:58 PM »
Hey all,

I know that Bob is into old mopeds, and I'm sure a few others are into them aswell.

For those who are interested, here are a few pictures of my latest "toy" !

It's a 1960 Peugeot BB V. It was given to me for free, in a bad state, So bad my dad didn;t want me to have it, thinking it would sit in the back of the barn, taking up loads of space, not working.

I suprised him (and myself!). I managed to get it running the first day, which was good. All it needed was moving the engine forward (the drive belt was too slack, when you treied to start it it didnt engage the motor). I done a load more jobs of course to get it more roadworthy (still a bloody deathtrap!). Tires are the wors parts: you can see the fibre/mesh on some areas. I was suprised they pumped up, inner tubes don't even have a slow puncutre!

I had a small problem with the HT lead, it was badly joined onto the stator and came off, so I had to remove the flywheel (I let my dad do that, when I tried it seemed like the flywheel was going to snap, since uits only thin aluminium, and most people on the net have snapped them if using the wrong tool!). It came off nicely in the end. I soldered it on properly, and fixed the broken connector, so it should stay there now.

I also done the usual, cleaning the carb and exhaust. A few ore jobs like new cable inners on throttle, front and back brake (back brake also has ne cable outer). Headlamp rim was very rusty (no chrome left!), so I painted it silver and rubed it with my oily hands to sort of age it!.

With some T-cut, Autosol and coloured turtlewax, it ended up quite nice for original paint.

I think next I wll have to get the racing version of that moped! (see http://dayerses.com/data_images/posts/peugeot-bb-3/peugeot-bb-3-04.jpg )

I am suprised how well it goes! I'm pretty sure its better than my Puch Maxi and Yamaha QT 50! IT's definitally more reliable! I can even go top speed up a hill!

Enjoy the pictures!

1st pic: Untouched, when I got it.

2nd pic: I done a it of work. This was when I first got it going.

3rd pic: All polished up, looks way better than the previous photo!

4th pic: How nice the original paint came up!
Cars: Messerschmitt KR200, Nobel 200
Mopeds:
- Peugeot BB3SP, BB3T, BB3 "BITZA", BB VT, BB104,  TSA, Bima Luxe,
- Motobecane: 50V, M7 SL, 51 Club, EV50
- Other mopeds: Malaguti Superquattro, Solex 2200, Puch Monza, Puch Maxi

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: 1960 Peugeot Moped
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 09:58:52 PM »
love the condition jonathan great to find them like this

off topic though  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2012, 10:11:40 PM »
love the condition jonathan great to find them like this

off topic though  ;)

It is off topic !

I have to admit I'm also very suprised how good the paint came out, especially seeing whazt it was like before!

All I need now is a pair of tires,and a license!
Mopeds:

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 10:46:10 PM »
Well done Jonathan! A good find.  Remember your still British though, none of this Yankee doodle tires rubbish, its TYRES!
We are off this Sunday on the Periwinkle run, a moped ride up Stevenage way, I'm riding my Guzzino for the first time on one of these events, I just could not get it running right, lacking power, power dropping off when hot, unburned fuel etc, it turned out to be the ignition timing too far retarded, a bit like me really! I was relying on the timing marks which I guess you should never assume are correct, I advanced it and now its quite nippy so am looking forward to the run.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 07:03:00 AM »
Definitely worthy of some tyres. Best scrounge mode on. It is that wonderful condition again, lots of patina, I guess you call it. Love things like that. As long as it remains stabilised with polish/oil/wax rubbed on it I would prefer to have it just as it is, though running of course. Ideal for the morning baguette run.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 08:47:44 AM »
Bob, I had to advance this 2.5mm, that's what it said on the internet. My dad done it for me, since I'm not very precise for that type of thing ;)

I always mix up tyres/tires, colour/color, etc... I don't care  ;D

I'd love to go on Moped runs, but I don;t think there are any nearby!

The timing marks on this moped are very bad... On the flywheel, it has an arrow. On the other side (casing) it has nothing. I saw on the internet you should line it up to the middle of the HT lead rubber...

I got the front light working the old switch was broken, and we don;t have any that size, so all I did was make it a closed circuit, lights are on all the time the engine is.

Still needs work ;)

JP
Mopeds:

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 09:15:56 AM »
Have a look at this site , you can get most parts for most bikes here.

http://www.mopedland.ukfsn.org/

I agree with Al about these old mopeds, original patina under a good coat of wax is best, anyway, a good paint job would be more than the bikes are worth!  Heres my Guzzino, believe it of not this was bright red when new, its been faded out by the Italian sun over the last 60 years, I think the paint is held on now by the wax! Note hand gear lever and lever throttle, very hard to ride!

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2012, 10:33:50 PM »
Not bad! Still easier than a Ford T, if you've ever looked into how to drive them!

I got another motorcycle recently (will pick it up just after Mannheim veterama). It's powered by an Ydral 175cc, its a New Map Leader! Needs work though!

JP
Mopeds:

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 09:16:41 AM »
Nice! What year is it?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 12:20:10 PM »
Nice! What year is it?

2012 here. Chelmsford has a problem, I believe, so maybe there is a time dilation centred on there.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »
Nice! What year is it?

Don't know the year, I didn;t really study the bike, because it was free!

Its a project, but I don;t think it needs much to get it running (engine's all there, apart from carb. For it to run, it probably just needs tyres, wheel, petrol tank and quick check over the engine!). Obviously it needs many small parts, but don;t need them all for driving.

The guy who gave it to me says he has petrol tanks and wheels, he will sort them out for when we pick it up.

JP
Mopeds:

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 01:40:54 PM »
Why? Who lives in Chelmsford?

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 07:24:21 AM »
Why? Who lives in Chelmsford?

Aulus Paulinus and Badvoc amongst others. About the year 123 I think.

Jonathan Poll

• Jonny One Nob
  • Prolific Poster
  • Nobel 200 Anorak
    • Nobel 200 Restoration
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2012, 09:53:48 PM »
Here's a quik video I took of it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsej59J-PJ4

I did take a video of it running, but the video file was "corrupt". I'll try tommorow after school :)
Mopeds:

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 10:13:25 PM »
great !  ;) oily rag - well done .and to think although not roadworthy come november this year , in the u.k. ,you would not need an m.o.t test - you would perhaps need your head seeing to ! if riding it on the road  ;)

okay i know its for pre 1960 machines  but don't split hairs  ;)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 10:15:04 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977