Author Topic: BMW 600 Auto?  (Read 2725 times)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
BMW 600 Auto?
« on: August 17, 2012, 06:05:42 PM »
I just looked at an advert for a USA BMW 600 with a 'Sax-o-mat' automatic gearbox for $8000 on the web. Not sure how to capture the advert so I cannot reproduce it. I never new such a version existed. Is this true or something that has been made up?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 07:57:02 AM by Big Al »
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jim Janecek

• Prolific Poster
Re: BMW 600 Auto?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »
Which do you want to know is true?
BMW 600
BMW 500 with "Sax-O-Mat"

The $8000 price?

There was a BMW 600 with Sax-O-Mat automatic transmission available in very very small numbers.

can you copy and paste the web URL?

There was a shell of a Sax-o-mat on eBay in May in Florida USA, sold for $2200
This was included in the description:
The BMW 600 VIN 145828 was manufactured on April 7th, 1959 and delivered on August 20th, 1959 to the BMW importer Fadex Commercial Corp. in New York City. The original colour was "Azurblau".
Unfortunately we are unable to tell you how many BMW 600 with Saxomat clutch were delivered to the US, in fact we don't know how many Saxomat equipped BMW 600 were built at all.

Nevertheless we hope, this is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

BMW Group
Andreas Harz
Mobile Tradition
Group Archives / ST-1
General Archive Services
80788 München

That listing is no longer available, although I have a copy of it saved locally.
here are some pics of a BMW 600 Sax-o-mat I saw while driving back and forth in Michigan. It was off the highway and locked up in this guy's place.
Eventually I was able to get in and take a few pics of the engine compartment. The car and owner are long gone and the building is used for something else now.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 07:13:19 PM by JimJanecek »

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 07:26:33 PM »
Thats a new one on me! Thanks Jim.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 08:09:54 AM »
Oh, I do not want to own one. No great fan of the BMW 600 but it was a development I knew nothing about.

Of course we had the few Smiths auto clutch Isettas here in GB. Had a very good one myself and the technology might have been a bit bonkers for cars but was used on industrial machinery at least until recently, particularly making cigarettes. Thus I was able to get more activated powder for the car and make it work, at a price.

I wonder why no Sax-o-mat Isettas as the gearbox is effectively the same? Did this come in to go against Pre-Select Goggomobils? The Goggo still has my vote as the better car but, again, I am no fan of the Pre-Select on a car that has such a good rear gearchange. If it had been more like the BMW 600 I might vote differently. It is a good strong gearbox but it is not very sophisticated in a car. So an Auto BMW 600 sounds rather interesting.

Will re-find the advert.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs