Author Topic: Austin J40 fairground ride  (Read 3509 times)

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Austin J40 fairground ride
« on: September 23, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »
fantastic Austin J40 fairground ride featuring 6 original cars and built in 1953 - it really was fun
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Austin J40 fairground ride
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 04:24:31 PM »
another pic - click to enlarge
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 05:24:58 PM »
Lovely. I recently had to turn down a job restoring one of those, it would have been fun, but they really are CARS not toys, and as such a major job to restore and not enough sale value for me to earn anything like a fair fee.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 06:22:53 PM »
i remember we discussed it on the forum - that was the consensus i think  :'( despite being in great condition they were still being used and 15 minutes after this photo was taken one of them had a big lad of about 13 in it ! 

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »
Yes. lots of good advice here. If I had been doing it up for myself it might have been different, but for me to do a paid job and leave room for the owner, a dealer, to make a profit was just not on. I believe Carter's Steam Fair has a J40 merry-go-round.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 07:18:48 PM »
wonderful thing flikr innit heres a pic of Carters j40 ride - more flash but perhaps not so authentic - not that the children would mind 

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
In the 70s my jazz trio played a gig in a park in Chiswick or Hammersmith, and Carter's Steam Fair was also there, and plenty of time for me to have a good looksee. I did not know anything about J40s then, but was mightily impressed that the cars were so much more realistic than usual ones. I don't think they were painted like that though, rather more down to earth. Those do look a bit garish to me, but great for kiddies.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 07:31:33 AM by marcus »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 07:27:34 AM »
Ah, J40 roundabout. All the fun of the Monoco Grand Prix in the park. Marvellous. J40, better built than a modern car and much much greener.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2012, 07:34:04 AM »
In fact they are so well built that any children getting one as a present in the 50s would soon have found their pride soon become a bit embarrassing as all the other children on scooters, tricycles and bicycles would soon leave them far behind.