Author Topic: BBC radio 4 cheaper than walking  (Read 6773 times)

john Meadows

• Quite Chatty
BBC radio 4 cheaper than walking
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:43:23 PM »
Monday 8th October BBC Radio 4 at 11.00am Cheaper than walking

This forth coming program is the result of all those interviews done at Gt Yarmouth and previously

Be interesting to see what they do with all the information they were given

John

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
Re: BBC radio 4 cheaper than walking
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 08:01:18 AM »
Heard nothing about this. I assume it is about economically targeted transportation devices. Trojan used to advertise, with a proof, that using a Trojan Two Stroke car was cheaper than walking.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »
I thought that was the Peel P50 catch phrase!!!!

With all the interviews that Andy Kershaw has done if it is handled correctly it should be an interesting programme.  Lets wait and see.  Jean
Jean
Register of Unusual Microcars

Grant Kearney

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »
I thought that was the Peel P50 catch phrase!!!!
Yes Jean.  Andy Kershaw was also in the Isle of Man last month as well as attending the NMCR, hence the previous posting last week 'Peel on the Radio'.  He can also be seen on the NMCR homepage sampling the delights of a Bond MkA  :D.  They have done their research and spoke to all the correct people so should have a very interesting Program.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 08:55:12 PM by scootacar »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 07:53:14 AM »
Trojan/Peel advertising - They say there is nothing new in motor cars after a very early time, is it 1910? Just as a good idea is always worth using again, even if your unaware of its prior use. I believe there is even a film advert 'Cheaper than Walking'. Might be on 'you tube' but Dave has it somewhere. Trojan had an easier time proving it as overheads and taxation were a lot less then and folk did not throw their shoes away! Yep, they included the wear on shoes, new heals etc. Bonkers.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 06:44:50 PM »
Had you noticed folks that this thread and the one about Peel on Radio are talking about one and the same programme.  So will it be all Peel or about microcars in general?  Can't wait till Monday to see what they say.  Jean
Jean

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 02:59:22 PM »
I just caught the second half of this whilst driving to Park Royal on the car radio, as I turned on I immediatley recognized Jeans voice complaining about the ride to Stuttgart in a Frisky! I cant comment on the first half of the prog but the second half was good I thought. I liked the commentary whilst riding in the Bond to Yarmouth , the smoke and getting lost all sounded so familiar! John Meadows and Malcolm Thomas came across well on radio I thought. The other part I thought was very good and showed real insight was Andy's remarks about peoples attitudes to microcars, the tendency for people to compare them to ordinary cars and then pour scorn, he said we need see them in context of there times , couldnt agree more and made a refreshing change from having to listen to that twerp Clarkson as he sneers at anything that doesnt go 100mph!! Does anyone know if and when it will be repeated?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 03:24:56 PM by Bob Purton »

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 03:02:12 PM »
Dear Bob

You can listen to it in Iplayer in the next 7 days

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »
Of course! Just did that and enjoyed it. Has no one else heard it yet?

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 04:18:49 PM »
working hard today and clean forgot ! never used i player yet but will do
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 06:15:41 PM »
A most enjoyable program which wandered along nicely.  Just hit the spot I think.

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 08:43:55 AM »
made a refreshing change from having to listen to that twerp Clarkson as he sneers at anything that doesnt go 100mph!!

Like telling us all Saabs were crap, save the Turbo, on the repeated programme I managed to miss first time out. That is why they were rubbish at rallying then, was it? You realise the world is run by ignoramuses like this, don't you? See latest Rail Franchise fiasco.

It is good to know there are still havens of quality journalism and programme production but the intelligent are not as well served as they used to be.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 08:46:41 AM by Big Al »

Mark Green

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2012, 02:50:20 AM »
From this side of the Pond it sounded like a very well done Story!
1958 FriskySport

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2012, 01:20:36 PM »
But who is that Bubblecar song by in the background?

Jean

• Global Moderator
  • Prolific Poster
    • www.rumcars.org
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2012, 04:49:43 PM »
I thought someone would ask that.  It is a fairly recent piece called by The Bubble Car by the Bad Detectives.  I didn't know until I asked the producer!  You can Google it and listen to the whole thing and even download the lyrics! Jean
Jean