Author Topic: Ac invacar model 70  (Read 18571 times)

filcool

• Occasional
Ac invacar model 70
« on: October 09, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »
Hi everyone,im new to this site,ive just joined because ive just bought the AC invacar that was just on ebay tonight,it will be staying in scotland but going a bit further north near aberdeen,wont get it till the weekend to look at to see the problems,so will be back on here for some answers i hope,1 being the unable to select gears but have read in a few posts that the engine might be idling to high,ill have to wait and see.
ive also got a reliant robin and reliant ant so this is another 3 wheeler for the collection,i like a bit of good restoring so hopefully ill get it all up and running well.
Ill also need advice on the best way to get this back on the road,how to tax and register it legally,insurance and such things.
thanks for now phil

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
Re: Ac invacar model 70
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 10:16:56 PM »
am i the only one on the forum that doesn't know what a complete model 70 looks like ? good luck , nice to hear from someone new filcool - saw you in concert 15/20 years ago weird faces you can make - and noises come to that  ;)

come too think of it wasn't phil cool on steve wright R2 today ?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:20:09 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 06:58:15 AM »
Welcome Phil
I am also lucky enough to have a Model 70.
And a few spares.

Good luck with your new addition.

Barry

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:43:08 AM »
Aberdeen will not know what hit it. Unfortunately the IC guru, Stuart Cyphus is currently off line due to various issues. If the carriage has a valid V5 registration you have no real problem, it will just need to express the correct category of use. If not you need Stuart to prove its ID and date through his ex Government files. Looked like this had been done as the car had some number plates on it. Stuart is doing manuals now, hopefully.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

filcool

• Occasional
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »
Hi all,thanks for posting some comments back,
Barry you say you've also got a model 70,have you got yours registered and on the road,does it need to be taxed under a tricycle like the reliant robin,do you have it insured through classic car insurance?
Thanks for now,phil

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »
Phil
Luckily my car was already registered as a Tricycle by the previous owner, Richard. 
I had it added to my existing classic car insurance through Peter James Insurance.  They had not insured one before but once they had seen one on the internet they gave me a good premium - sympathy I think.  We had a good laugh.
I have three more rolling chassis with the bodies 'sawn off'.  I have managed to get their registration numbers reinstated and now have V5c's as Invalid carriages.  Stuart was a great help confirming the chassis numbers with the registrations.  Next I will try to change them to Trikes.  Technically you can't drive them as invalid carriages unless you are an invalid!  As a Trike you have to pay a bit of Tax. 

Swansea sent some forms for change of taxation class which need an MOT as the first stage.  Not much chance of this on my rolling chassis and I couldn't possibly use my good car for the MOT with the appropriate number plate fitted...........................
I think it may be possible to just send a note to Swansea changing the taxation class and hope whoever deals with it just rubber stamps it. 

Barry

filcool

• Occasional
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 07:55:55 PM »
hi barry,
the car is coming with the v5 but it is still registered as an invalid carriage,i think ill have to contact swansea and see what i would have to do to get the taxation class changed to tricycle.my reliant robin is classed under tricycle and is about 74 pounds a year for tax,,so would probably be the same,might contact peter james for insurance if they now might know what a model 70 is.
Ill have to give the car a good check over first before an MOT,but i do have a friendly local guy who does class 3 tests so im sure he will keep me right on what might be needed to get it passed.
Ill maybe ask you some more questions once i get it.
thanks phil

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 08:38:41 PM »
If you get an MOT you should be able to go down the Swansea suggested route.
They say.  'To make other changes (to the V5 like taxation class) you must first tax the vehicle and get a tax disc showing the new details.'

Once Swansea receive a note from you giving the serial number of the tax disc together with your V5c, they will issue a new V5c as a Tricycle.
To get the tax you will need an MOT

I can easily scan my letter from Swansea and email it to you.

With my three rolling chassis, I would like to change the taxation class without having an MOT.  I will give Swansea a try on this one  as I don't think Richard (previous owner) had an MOT when he managed it.

Barry

filcool

• Occasional
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 09:01:55 PM »
if you could email that letter that would be a great help,
thanks phil

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 09:20:01 PM »
You should have it now Phil.

filcool

• Occasional
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 11:02:39 PM »
Thanks got them,will give them a good read tonight.
Phil :)

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 08:18:18 AM »
If you get an MOT you should be able to go down the Swansea suggested route.
They say.  'To make other changes (to the V5 like taxation class) you must first tax the vehicle and get a tax disc showing the new details.'

Once Swansea receive a note from you giving the serial number of the tax disc together with your V5c, they will issue a new V5c as a Tricycle.
To get the tax you will need an MOT

I can easily scan my letter from Swansea and email it to you.

With my three rolling chassis, I would like to change the taxation class without having an MOT.  I will give Swansea a try on this one  as I don't think Richard (previous owner) had an MOT when he managed it.

Barry

This is much as I have done. Despite requesting tricycle status on reclaiming the number in due process all but one came back as Invalid Vehicle. It is interesting to note that technically you could register a Type 70 as a Quad type as it is just under the weight limit and under the power band. I am not sure that would really be a benefit other than perhaps dodging road charging like the London.
For MOT you are probably aware, no rolling roads. It damages the belt drive system.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

filcool

• Occasional
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2012, 09:33:53 PM »
Got the model 70 home on sunday afternoon,spent fifteen minutes having a spin about the yard at work,then set about finding out why the gears couldnt be engaged without grinding,it was sold with this problem but i hoped it could be fixed,turned the idle down a little first but no joy,so took the top off the gearbox to have a look inside,all looked well visually,so decided to take the engine out to have a look at the clutch set up.disconnected all the hosees and cable that were attached and would get in the way off getting it down.
tonight with the help of my dad we got it jacked up in the air and on some stands,then unbolted the 4 bolts and pulled it free of the gearbox,a jack underneath the engine and a good bit of jiggling it came down and out,as it did a clutch pad fell out of the gearbox drum,it looks like 1 had delaminated from the metal backing plate and was binding things up inside the drum when things were spinning,so im hoping that was the case of the gear selection problem,a new set of clutch fingers will need to be fitted,tommorrow ill take the gearbox and belt drive system out to have a look over as there seems to be a few seal leaks.
some pics of the nights activitys

thanks phil

Barry

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 09:57:24 PM »
Very industrious.  Richard had the same problem with his and did exactly the same thing as you.  He had the clutch pads relined.  I will try to find out where.

filcool

• Occasional
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 10:03:25 PM »
I would like to know where he got them done,i dont know if ill need them done or not,because with the car there was a box of spares and right at the bottom there was 3 new in a bag cluth fingers,will have to see there ok though,not to rusty an well attached,and also the right fitment havent tried them against the old ones yet.
phil