Author Topic: The Maharajah's Rolls Royce, last night, BBC4, perhaps on iPlayer?  (Read 866 times)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Saw part of this interesting programme all about RR cars specially modified and supplied to Indian royalty up to the 1950s. One converted into a kind of large Jeep to carry a whole cricket team to matches. RR clearly did everything possible to modify their cars to suit the whims of some spectacularly wealthy and demanding customers. Although many RRs just look big and lumpy to me, there were some spectacularly elegant and magnificent cars on show, as well as plenty of "Baby" RRs for private use. Interesting background too about the complex but often fairly good relationship between the British and Indians, proving that ours was not such an evil empire as it is often portrayed, quite the opposite in fact. Definitely worth a look even if you are not a great fan of RRs.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: The Maharajah's Rolls Royce, last night, BBC4, perhaps on iPlayer?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 09:22:20 AM »
Dear Marcus

I watched the same program and never realised how many RR were sent to India over the years. Bob will be fascinated to know that RR probably made the first IC when they modified one of their cars for a customer with a physical handicap. All the hand controls were just as you would have in a modern adapted vehicle.

Well worth watching

Chris Thomas

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: The Maharajah's Rolls Royce, last night, BBC4, perhaps on iPlayer?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2012, 09:30:44 AM »
Yup, those modifications were fantastic, quality engineering! The clutch control lever on the gearstick and linked to the clutch pedal was particularly nice. All that trouble to design and make it, yet it seems that he himself never actually drove it, just wanted to be able to if the need arose! The rich get what they want!
I particularly liked the airstreamed car in black over old English white.
I had the impression that RR had always been very particular about what it did with its cars, even in those days when independent coach-builders did all the bodywork, but they were amazingly open to unusual requests and specifications.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face