Author Topic: Was cleaning my hubs today...  (Read 6713 times)

thomast

• Chatty
    • thomastouw
Was cleaning my hubs today...
« on: October 17, 2012, 09:44:37 PM »
Not that it is a big problem but I'm just wondering why the lh and rh hub of my Trojan look different....   ???

Trojan 200 and Bond Bug

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Was cleaning my hubs today...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 10:01:11 PM »
Both of mine look like your one on the left, without the extra raised ring. Perhaps the hubs were made by different companies or one was an early model and the other a later one?
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:02:41 AM »
I believe there are 5 differing patterns of hub based on two differing castings. The interchange and all work but over time things changed.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »
als your man on this sort of thing. had always thought of the ribbed one as being Heinkel and plain later Trojan , had realised there were 5 !
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 05:04:02 PM »
Was cleaning my hubs today...

And here's me thinking this is a family forum, where people wouldn't say that sort of thing......

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2012, 05:28:17 PM »
as mentioned before on this forum i used to sell trojans in uk for our parent company in the u.s. many inuendo's available - please send plain brown wrapper  ;)
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 05:30:27 PM »
Mmm, something for the weekend perhaps?!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 01:37:48 PM »
I believe there are 5 differing patterns of hub based on two differing castings. The interchange and all work but over time things changed.

Not sure of order. But guess

Plain hub, no drain holes. (seem to be with three wheel hand-braked cars)
Plain hub, small round drain holes
Plain hub, big drain slots
Ribbed hub, no drain holes (Where does that fit in? Irish mistake? Trojan mistake? Trojan cost cutting? Who made the drums anyway?)
Ribbed hub, big drain slots

Common is either sort with slots so you should be able to create a pair. Bummer having got a nice finish on your existing units, though.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 02:47:32 PM »
easier not to bother - who would spot this , only one side seen at a time  ;)

thomast

• Chatty
    • thomastouw
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 08:36:12 PM »
could not believe how little new bearings cost. 22 euro for the 4!
Trojan 200 and Bond Bug

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »
Not like modern cars! Looking smart!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »
easier not to bother - who would spot this , only one side seen at a time  ;)

It is not a biggy. At some point you will come across a matching unit and can swap them round to suit. Yes bearings cheap and you can use the sealed and do away with the grease seal other than as a spacer. Less friction. Problem is the plastic hub cap. Heat them up in a cup of hot water or similar for fitting. Saves risk of damage.

I ran a Goggo with old full optional extra wheel embellish fitted bought from Mannheim at various times. The sides did not match but only about three people ever noticed.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 06:08:46 PM »
and they were the concours judges  :D DRAT

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2012, 08:24:54 AM »
Not sure I have had a concours judge ever look at one of my cars. They normally passed on by swiftly, could never understand why..... Something about being shiny.

My old Velo Bel-Car won best Other Micro, or some such, at Hengrave Hall. Slightly spoilt by the disher outer refusing to give the trophy to me, due to inherited official Bond Club hate, I think. I found that amusing as not only had I no dealings with the chap but he was unaware that Hengrave was originally a BUMS Rally so he was clearly arguing for something we have now.

Now we do not have proper concours tests, as to many owners start blubbing, I will never know how good my cars are 'officially' (not that I greatly care). The thing is hid behind the peoples choice. 'I blame the people!' does not have the force of blaming an expert and ranting at him. Who wants to be judge under those circumstances. So we have a poor record of what good cars are really out there, only a record of what looks nice. Case in point the Nobel I had that won the Anti-concours trophy at the National. A bit of fun, I agree. In fact the car was running, used to be part of that award that the car was driven, but it was a more original car than half the badly restored rubbish on show. Eventually the peoples choice will mean a small campervan will be winning best in show and a tea tray called Arnold will be the Anti-Concours, it will mean much the same as we have now and is an expensive turn off.

Get it right, do it once and enjoy it. 'Simples'.