Author Topic: Treinkel upholstery, what do you think?  (Read 11065 times)

thomast

• Chatty
    • thomastouw
Treinkel upholstery, what do you think?
« on: November 02, 2012, 12:50:22 PM »
Went to a large car-uphulstery shop this morning and was very happy with what I found.

The left is what I think would be best for the seats, comes from a Lloyd, the middle is another option from a Mercedes Gullwing and I like it very much but is twice the price. The right is what I want to use for the side panels. I know Heinkel/Trojans only had grey but as my car is blueish-grey or greyish-blue I might prefer a 'happy color' The diamond shap is as original only smaller and this fabric comes from morris headlining. Think this will look good?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 01:54:45 PM by thomast »
Trojan 200 and Bond Bug

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: Treinkel upholstery, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 05:28:12 PM »
The one on the left is fairly similar to the seat material I used and I got it from the Heinkel-Trojan Club; I actually prefer the HT Club material. The diamond embossed material is great, I could not find it anywhere, but shame you cannot get it in sliver/grey to contrast nicely with the red tartan material. Still, it might give a nice "co-ordibated" loolk.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

thomast

• Chatty
    • thomastouw
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 05:43:43 PM »
Any pictures Marcus? I'm waiting for my Trojan Club info. Payed some weeks ago so can't be long now. I curiouse what bits are for sale as I still need lots of small bits. I've planed the winter to complete the rebuild and will report about my progress every month for 6 month in Hollands Biggest Classic Car Magazine I write for on freelance basis.

Trojan 200 and Bond Bug

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 07:56:25 PM »
The HTC Ltd had the same material as that commissioned by the IOC of GB. This was right but was, as the original material, a lighter grade than real upholstery material. A reason the original seats nearly all wore out quickly given that the driver swivels his bottom to get in and out as well. That old stock will have gone so I do not know what is offered now but given a suitable order more genuine pattern material could be made reasonably simply.

The plastic foam welded material was available in white. Not sure If I can get more as I used to sell it as sets to do the car. You can paint it red or silver, I personally preferred the millboard panels of the earlier cars. I believe Richard W used to be able to get this.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 10:23:55 PM »
various companies sell the grey millboard panels used by Heinkels , woolies ,market deeping ,england certainly do
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 09:18:25 AM »
various companies sell the grey millboard panels used by Heinkels , woolies ,market deeping ,england certainly do

Did you not supply some cut out sets at one time? Or was that Dave Simmons (got the name right?, he of Smash robot). I am certain the came from the Wirral, perhaps from the paper mill that used to be up there. Historically this board is quite expensive. It also can be hard to find with the correct polished coating. Fortunately with sharp tools it is reasonably easy to work with but will tear easy if you leave a sharp corner. So preferably all cutouts should be radiused. Easier said than done. The factory would have had a press mounted die cutter so it was easy for them. The board can be steamed to fit, that is how the front insert is formed with the pocket stitched in.
Later these boards were covered in the foam plastic diamond material to go with the plastic door insert. Later still the boards were dropped and the material stuck to the side of the car in a right old botch job.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 09:34:37 AM »
no it was me on behalf of HTOEC but i handled delivery from a supplier who knows where , but south wales rings a bell , i cut them individually and they were supplied at rallies a set . i actually have a small stock of my own still if anyone needs to trim up a Heinkel in grey millboard as original with a slight sheen, wipe clean but possibly SLIGHTLY darker than original .
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 09:41:17 AM »
Any pictures Marcus?

My main computer has blown its internet port and I'm having to use a laptop and cannot figure out how to open a new window...Macs are SO much easier and more friendly to figure out and use, this thing is shockingly cussid and awkward!

Anyway, I cannot find a way of posting a link to my Photobucket account, but if you go to photobucket.com  and search for Captain_Bubble's photos there are some on there. Unfortunately Photobucket has just changed there site and turned into a useless stinking pile of garbage, and when I enter my user name on Photobucket's search I do not exist! I found my account through Google, because Photobucket's site has been "improved" to the point that it completely fails to work!

Once/if you do get to my a/c, you then have to search for the sub-albums where most of my Trojan are, but of course the trendy website designers have hidden this!  GRRRR, why can't they leave things alone!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 09:45:35 AM »
never used photobucket is it similar to flikr ? 

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 10:31:10 AM »
heres a scan of the grey millboard we used to line the inside of Heinkels - nice stuff if i say it myself . also a scrap , wish we had a few rolls of ONE of the original Trojan heat welded vinyls for the interiors - an exact match for the heat formed Trojan door panel - nice items if you can find them

thomast

• Chatty
    • thomastouw
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 10:49:44 AM »
the heat formed Trojan door panel should not be to difficult to copy in GRP would it?
Trojan 200 and Bond Bug

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »
easy i would imagine but there are few to copy and if you cant match it to the vinyl you could just try steaming a piece of millboard as al helpfully suggested - without it warping !

thomast

• Chatty
    • thomastouw
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2012, 11:16:33 AM »
I bought a sheet of millboard (I think it is what you are all taking about) yesterday. I will use it to make the cover for the tank. It kind of plastic/foamish material. It can be bend when heated. I will then cove rit wit a layer of padding and the vinyl. I'm used to work with GRP, millboard is new to me  ;D
Trojan 200 and Bond Bug

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 11:31:03 AM »
millboard is just very firm hard card with grainy texture .heres an original Heinkel with plain sides

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
GRP replica front door panels have been made. The problem was that the plastic is very thin. The millboard is thicker, it is true, but there seemed to be some issue in making the GRP option stay put.

Millboard is a product from paper milling. It is a dense board containing a lot of rag waste. This gives it a characteristic grey colour and a sort of laminated effect if torn. The rag content makes it tough and flexible along its length. It can be coerced into angles to fit in restricted areas which a pure board based product would fail into a fold. It is still used in vehicle upholstery but usually unsurfaced with sound deadening materials or such bonded to it. The standard surface is, err, unappealing. It is used as the base for Messeschmitt interior panels in most instances, for instance. So it is offered with an applied coating, which can be coloured but more often black or grey on one or both sides. This contains clay and is polished and, I think, covered in UV varnish. Thus coated board needs more care than uncoated board when bending to fit. The fuel tank cover is a test of Millboard quality as cheaper board will fail at that angle over distance. It will not cover a compound curve unless moulded to do so. This, and bending to shape, is done using gentle steam and pressure. The surface has a pretty high scuff resistance however.
Something similar is fitted to the boot floors of NSU Prinz, for instance. Trust this helps identify the material in question.