Author Topic: 20 year old joke! Or even 37!  (Read 12321 times)

thomast

• Chatty
    • thomastouw
20 year old joke! Or even 37!
« on: November 05, 2012, 10:47:29 PM »
When I was little my dad told me a story many times. When he was 20 he bought the Trojan and my grandparents didn't like it at all! He was not allowed to park it in the front of the house because the neighbours might complain. So when my grandparents were not at home he opened the big garden doors and parked the car in the livingroom. Imagine my grandparents faces when the walked in!

Always liked that story so when I was 16 or 17 (my first attempt to rebuild the Trojan) I did the same to him! (see picture below) My dad didn't laugh!  ??? Why not? I still think it was funny  ;D

« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:10:14 PM by thomast »
Trojan 200 and Bond Bug

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
Re: 20 year old joke! Or even 37!
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 08:40:11 AM »
Excellent! On UK tv in the 80s we had the Kenny Everett Video Show, and one series had a sketch of a family talking and arguing in their front room, and there was a re Treinkel neatly parked in the room for no apparent reason.
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 09:14:14 AM »
When I was little my dad told me a story many times. When he was 20 he bought the Trojan and my grandparents didn't like it at all! He was not allowed to park it in the front of the house because the neighbours might complain. So when my grandparents were not at home he opened the big garden doors and parked the car in the livingroom. Imagine my grandparents faces when the walked in!

Always liked that story so when I was 16 or 17 (my first attempt to rebuild the Trojan) I did the same to him! (see picture below) My dad didn't laugh!  ??? Why not? I still think it was funny  ;D

Nice tea pot collection!

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 09:28:55 AM »
Put a spout on the Trojan for a really BIG tea pot!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 10:14:23 AM »
Excellent! On UK tv in the 80s we had the Kenny Everett Video Show, and one series had a sketch of a family talking and arguing in their front room, and there was a re Treinkel neatly parked in the room for no apparent reason.

Owned then by Bazz just down the road. He also supplied the Brazil Messerschmitts. Sadly two got bashed up in a container due to poor loading.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 10:19:30 AM »
Ok Al, do you know which series the Treinkel was in? I would like to get a copy, VHS or DVD.

Also, in Brazil a 'schmitt was burnt; was this a real one or a mock up for the film? I know they were not as valuable and sought after then, but that scene still grates!Great film though!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 01:33:30 PM »
I think thomas has set us all a challenge ! Although the bar has been set very high !nice one
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 01:52:45 PM »
I restoredand painted my Trojan in my workshop and measured carefully before the body shell went it, on its side, and it JUST fitted through the double doors. Work done 3 of us carefully tipped it on its side and started manoeuvering it out of the doors, one of us standing vertically inside through the 2 big side windows, quite comical.

Only problem was that it wedged in. Explain that!

It was one hell of a job to take one of the heavy metal-skinned doors off its hinge with DUF in situ, then move the door away so we could get her safely outside for assembly, a few very anxious minutes!

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 07:27:55 PM »
To much paint!
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 08:22:13 PM »
Not just paint, it was 1/4" bigger!

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 08:42:20 PM »
FILLA !! :D

i was once involved in this fracas when a guy was selling his  Heinkel ,Ireland i think ,and asked for help getting it out of the premises . we measured and it wouldn't fit QUITE  ;) that didn't stop us - anyway we did it somehow but i think it involved deflating the tyres before possibly removing the wheels i think .
interestingly the building had been modified recently and the access had gone - no-one realised until too late . The building being the now very famous Quarry Bank School that John Lennon attended . the house in the background was the old school hall - now a house with very a tall ceiling , and scratched gate pillars  ;)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 09:02:38 PM by lightweight dickie »
outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read .Groucho Marx 1895-1977

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 09:01:11 PM »
Premesis ? That's as bad as someone leaving the first letter off a wor. Or the last letter of a ord!

Yup, I put new filler on the body shell to smooth over weld seam distortion, but this was all on the sides. the cahssis rails and roof were completely as before apart from a few layers of paint and filler, I put the anti-stone chip paint on outside, and all wheels, axle, engine, suspension were off too. It was definitely about 6 mm bigge, and it went out exactly the same way it came in. We never figured out what happened. All I can think is that it came in cold and went out hot, and I had all the old paints and very thick filler and "wierd stuff" shot-blasted off at high power, and perhaps that morphed the shape a bit.

Anyway, great shot! I really wish that I had some shots of mine emerging, but it was way too frantic.

I quite like the colour too, very "period". A bit like the old Morris "Eau de Nile" Green.

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »
i had actually re-read and modified my message BEFORE reading this bit  :)

marcus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 09:08:22 PM »
amn and blast it! ( <<Terry Thomas>> )

richard

• Rich
  • Prolific Poster
  • Bond ,Gordon,Bruetsch
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 09:11:32 PM »
actually many years ago i did try to collect original paint scrapings off treinkel members - several times -nil response . although most restorations are nice some of the original colours  have much more period feeling about them and i wouldn't be surprised to see them revive in future restorations . old fashioned red -more orangey , heinkels in grey , luftwaffe blue, buff ,that dull jade colour etc