Author Topic: Edison VLC (Very Light Car) - not micro  (Read 5388 times)

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
Edison VLC (Very Light Car) - not micro
« on: January 23, 2013, 07:08:45 PM »
As we had a discussion recently about the economics of small scale production of small-ish cars, anyone interested could do worse than watch this 30min vid by the boss of the Edison2 company that won the recent X-Prize for fuel-efficiency with a combined cycle of 132mpg(imp).  They seem serious about getting into the car business with some radical ideas.

http://youtu.be/06wY7jGu1O0

Their X-Prize car wasn't small by micro standards - 2000mm/79" wide is enormous - but other data is relevant, like carrying 4 passengers on a kerb weight of 830lb/377kg with a 250cc turbo single producing 40hp and giving a top speed of over 100mph.  And a bit of a 'Schmitt look going on there.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 07:29:21 PM by AndrewG »

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
Re: Edison VLC (Very Light Car) - not micro
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
Thank you Andrew

That video of Oliver Knuttner is the most enlightening presentation I have heard for a long time on the subject of what the motor industry is doing wrong and why the Microcar ethos is the right route, all be that we have to move on from what has been done before.

I do hope the big motor manufacturers do not gang up against these ideas just to protect their own interests, and that they take heed of what is being said. The analagy with the computer industry that he makes is very relevent.

I accept that Oliver is selling his product, but it is not a hard sell when you look at the technology and science behind the project.

Now we need to look at what we are doing and why.

Chris Thomas

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »
Gordon Murray, another who has shown up the 'car manufacturers' for what they are.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 01:36:06 PM »
I would love to see the suspension in the wheel system, as an Inter fan I'm drawn to outrigger wheel assemblies. Is the suspension actually in the wheel its self or does the hub move up and down? Would love to know!

AndrewG

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:40:12 PM »
I think you could argue that the Isetta nearly has in-wheel suspension - it certainly meets the Edison requirement of having a single mounting point on the end of a non-moving 'axle tube'.

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 11:41:54 PM »
Well, if thats the only criteria that defines in wheel suspension they have nothing new!

Chris Thomas

• Administrator
  • Prolific Poster
  • old Banana
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 09:07:09 AM »
Dear Bob

Michelin tyre company have a complete in wheel suspension system which contains also brakes and an electric motor. They have shown it at the last two ecovelocity exhibitions here in London. I would imagine the  Edison system is very similar.

Chris Thomas

Bob Purton

• Prolific Poster
    • Inter microcar
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 03:19:24 PM »
Interesting! One wouldnt think there would be enough travel to make it effective enough. Still if the wheel diameter is BIG then this would allow for more travel.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 05:59:26 PM by Bob Purton »

Big Al

• Prolific Poster
  • Ranttweiler, biting the breeze block of banter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 04:03:43 PM »
Ah! Brakes and electric motor inside the wheel. Unsprung weight light as possible, little travel needed especially with a nice bit of tyre wall. If not, then Hoppy Spadge time and Edison one T short of a near brilliant light house of an idea.
Messerschmitt set, Goggo Darts, Heinkel 175, Fiat Jolly, Autobianchi, Fairthorpe Electron Minor, Borgward, Isuzu Trooper
Citroen BX 17TZD & GTI 16v
Held - MG Magnette ZB & 4/44
For sale - Vellam Isetta, Bamby, AC Type 70, Velorex, Church Pod, Reliant Mk5, KR200,  Saab 96, Bellemy Trials, Citroen BXs

marcus

• Prolific Poster
    • http://marcusdemowbray.wordpress.com/
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 06:32:17 PM »
Dear Bob

Michelin tyre company have a complete in wheel suspension system which contains also brakes and an electric motor. They have shown it at the last two ecovelocity exhibitions here in London. I would imagine the  Edison system is very similar.

Chris Thomas

That's the way to go!
In fact it would be great for bubble cars...Three Wheel Drive!
Just remember: as one door closes behind you, another slams in your face