Author Topic: Invalid carriage?  (Read 12680 times)

blob

• Prolific Poster
Invalid carriage?
« on: February 20, 2007, 10:31:46 AM »
Heres one for Stuart to identify item: 290085413370

Stuart Cyphus

• Possibly the most fabulous person in the universe....
  • Prolific Poster
Re: Invalid carriage?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:49:52 AM »
Oooh, very nice. Indeed tis a Nelco Solocar but nowhere near as old as they say it is. Try circa 1952. Yet another "new" conveyance previusly unkown to me, being the fourth in as many days so far, with three Argson Electrics coming to light on Sunday, Monday & Tuesday, pushing their niumbers up to 23 known examples, and thus starting to give the Solocar as a type a run for its money as the most commen type of invalid carriage.  Now this "new" Solocars turned up, and is the 25th known Solocar, so it is still the Solocar that holds the top spot. But how long for????.......

Tis better than the soaps on the telly all this you know. Much more exciting!

What do you mean; "I should get out more!"?

ronnie

• Ronnie
  • Just Starting
    • rondouglas.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »
Twenty four now!
I have an Argson electric invalid carriage.  I bought it unused 35 years ago and dismantled it and wrapped it up in sacking.  It is now in my workshop going rusty I
The older I get, the better I was.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 09:13:18 PM »
Hello Ronnie

I would love to hear more about your Argson and how you came by it. Is it really Ministry "New-Old" stock?  :o Might I also be cheeky and ask if there's any chance of a photo for the I.C.R photo album? All costs covered of course.

inacoma

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 09:14:23 PM »
Cor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stuart will have to have a lie down with all this excitement :D ;) :)

ronnie

• Ronnie
  • Just Starting
    • rondouglas.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 06:06:24 PM »
I could assemble the parts and photo them.  It will take a while but I would be pleased to send you a picture, I would like you to tell me more about it.   I

ronnie

• Ronnie
  • Just Starting
    • rondouglas.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 03:03:17 PM »
I did it today and the photos should be on www.rondouglas.co.uk

It looked a bit sad propped-up on jacks and with all the bits resting on each other.   30 years ago I put the nuts and bolts and the motor brushes if cloth bags soaked in oil but mice ate the bags and the contents were lost.   The wood parts are wormy.  The painted parts are rusty but only surface rust.  The Perspex screen is unscratched and the hood is sound with a small rip.   The motor sounds good when you spin the wheels.   The electrics are dirty but the whole thing makes me wish I had time to do it.  The plate on the motor says
Electro Dynamic Construction Co Ltd, London.. Rating : 1 hour. Volts :36. Amps :20.
 No : 63075K . Year: 1953. (99% sure but it has a Lucas flasher unit, do you think that is OK for 1953?)  R.P.M: 3100.  B.H.P.: 075.  
More info in the handbook.  On the exploded view drawings in the book  it says, "Stanley Engineering "

It has never been used.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 03:36:49 PM »
 Oh I love it! From what I can see, all the details are correct for 1953, the penultimate year of production. Its full title is thus that it is an Argson Electric De Luxe, as made by the Stanley Engineering Company of Egham, Surrey. Presumibly as "New-Old stock, it never had a registration Number? If it came from the Ministry, it should have one. For further general details, please see my publication; "An Introduction to Invalid Carriages!, advertised elsewhere on this forum.

Alas, please don't ask me to buy it. Much as I would really love to, I already have a 1949 example that is getting worse every time I look at it, plus no less than four others are looking to me to find them a good home....

Anyway, very many thanks for taking the effort to post the pictures (more than a lot of others round here ever do!). If ever the I.C.R can assist you at any time in the future, I am at your service. To be extra cheeky here, might I ask if you would be agreeable to registering  it with the R.U.M for future referance?  Details of how to do that can be found elsewhere on this site.

Once again, many thanks.   ;D:-*

ronnie

• Ronnie
  • Just Starting
    • rondouglas.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 04:45:32 PM »
Thank you for the info.  I will do as you sugest and put it on the register.  Where do I find your book?
Best wishes.

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 05:07:07 PM »
Many thanks for that. The general details of my book can be found in "A publication on sale at last from Stuart Cyphus" in the Unusual Microcar Discussion section of this forum. Avalible at  Â£3 per copy all in direct from me at the address given. I'm currently sold out at the moment, but a new batch is expected hot from the printers very soon. (I hope! - I've got 13 orders backed up already!!!)

All the best

(There you are everybody who's been following this episode in the soap opera that is another day in the life of the Invalid Carriage Register, it's easy to find these cars and get them signed up. All you have to do is ask politely when you hear of one and be a bit forthcoming with the old details for the owners.)

burford57

• The Devonport Collection of Crap and Classics
  • Quite Chatty
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 07:58:49 PM »
Here's an early Invacar to get those Cyphus juices flowing.
STAND BACK EVERYBODY!

260098654117, item located in Cambridgeshire, a stone's throw from Witney!

Nick D.
Mitsubago L300 camper van, Honda PC50, Mobylette AV32, Mobylette AV92, Motoconfort X7, Moto Graziella Cheeky Boy, Poirier Manulette MS6 invalid trike, Puch Maxi, Raleigh Wisp, VeloSoleX 5000, VeloSoleX 3300, Power Pak, Cyclemaster & Raleigh RM6.

witney44

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 09:44:19 PM »
When are you going to sell yours Nick?  ;D

Stuart Cyphus

• Prolific Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 01:30:56 PM »
I'm ahead of ya Nick, I spotted that the night it went up, and by noon the next day I'd contacted the seller and got all the SP on it  ;D  Not just any old conveyance either, but the 200th KNOWN EXISTING INVALID CARRIAGE!!!! (Thank you for your kind appluse...) That's right folks, the I.C.R now has details of two hundred British invalid three-wheelers dating from 1924 to 1978 dotted all around the world that can be seen right here, right now. Including three types that were rekoned to be extinct until I got involved. Not bad going I don't think when you concider that when I took over the I.C.R in October 2001, several people told me that by all accounts and estimates, there couldn't possibley be any more than 50 such vehicles existing in total everywhere. Now on with the next hundred!

Trident

• Quite Chatty
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 06:12:23 PM »
ICI (Invalid Carriage Institute) has records of 678 Invalid vehicles dating back to 1988, beat that Stuart !! :o

inacoma

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 06:19:42 PM »
Hi

Do they make good paint as well?